Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Cant fall asleep

quinny

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:14 pm
my 4 year old has a hard time falling asleep. she's in bed at 7 and I can find her up still at 9 every night. she's up every morning by 6 I'm concerned she's not getting enough sleep. she seems to be exhausted when she comes home from school but she wont fall asleep before 9. I prefer not to give melatonin what other choices do I have?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:16 pm
Is she getting enough physical activity throughout the day?

7 sounds early. Have you tried putting her to be a bit later?

imamazing

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:26 pm
I have the same. my 6 yr old goes to bed at 8 and tosses and turns some times until 9:30 or even later.
he s up at 7 each morning. I am at a total loss as to what to do with him...

following this thread...

quinny

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:33 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Is she getting enough physical activity throughout the day?

7 sounds early. Have you tried putting her to be a bit later?

she gets plenty of activity during the day. I tried to put her in later it didn't help. I tried to get her ready for bedtime earlier and didn't help either. she's definitely tired by 7 but she just cant fall asleep and driving me crazy.

OMG!

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 1:27 pm
I had same issue with 5 yo dd. she would go to bed around 7:30-8 and still be up by 11. As I already once mentioned here, I started giving her a Tbs calcium twice day and that helped wonders!! I remember taking it as a teen. It helps ur body relax and fall asleep. You can get it at healthfood stores

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 1:54 pm
My DH and I were just talking about this topic. He falls asleep before his head hits the pillow, and I have a terrible time falling asleep -- and I've been like that since I was an infant.

Some ideas based on my own experiences as both a child and an adult with difficulty falling asleep:

* Use an aromatherapy diffuser with lavender or spray diluted lavendar oil on the pillow.

* Use a guided meditation recording to help your child learn how to relax.

* Play soft classical music or recordings of you reading stories.

* Give the child a warm bath with lavender oil shortly before bed.

* Experiment with different bedtimes as well as naps. It sometimes seems that parents are more interested in a particular bedtime or sleep schedule based on *their* desires -- not what works for the child.

* Have the child pretend to go to sleep for 10-15 minutes. If he/she is still awake at the end of that time, then it's okay to look at books or engage in another quiet activity.

* Experiment with different bedding options: number of pillows, types of blankets, etc.

Good luck! I went to bed at 11 p.m. last night and was still tossing and turning at 2 a.m. While that was a little unusual even for me, I absolutely never fall asleep in less than 30-45 minutes. Whatever skills you can give your child to assist him/her in getting good sleep will definitely pay off -- particularly if this turns out to be a life-long challenge.

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:09 pm
My 4 year old is similar. The one thing that really helps is letting her "read" (she looks at the pictures) some books in bed. Her mind can focus on something else and it keeps her relaxed in bed so she usually just ends up drifting off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers