Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Sending chicken for Shabbos after baby -- good easy recipe?

HappyMommy23

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 1:56 pm
What recipe should I send to a family with 5 kids for their Shabbos chicken?

busydev

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:01 pm
any.

I do whatever I usually do, clean chickens, spread on duck sauce or bbq sauce, and cook.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:23 pm
A few months ago, someone gave us chicken for Shabbos, and they sent 2 pans, one with sauce, and one spiced, that way if any of my kids preferred one over the other, they'd have the option. I thought it was extremely thoughtful. Unfortunately, they both smelled so good that I had a hard time choosing Wink

So if the chicken doesn't all fit in the same pan, and you're sending 2 pans anyway, feel free to vary them as I find the seasoning doesn't really take prep time.

Whatever your family likes is probably good enough to send.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:33 pm
My neighbor sent this these two recipes to us after my last birth and everyone in my family loved them.

Chicken in a pot - Cut up a large onion and arrange around chicken pieces in a large pot. Spice with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder and add water to cover the chicken halfway. Simmer for about an hour and then add chunks of potato and sweet potato and butternut squash or carrots (optional). Add another cup of water and some more spices and cook for another 1/2 hour or so until veggies are cooked. Then add raw rice or orzo with equal amount of extra water and cook until tender. (We used 2.5 cups of orzo for 5 people.) Turn off the flame and leave covered.

Chicken in oven: Cut up potato slices, lots of fresh sliced garlic cloves, onion slices, red pepper slices, and tomato slices (optional). Pour a generous amount of olive oil over everything and spice with lots of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix chicken pieces and all the veggies in a bowl with the oil and spices until everything is well oiled and spiced. Arrange in a 9x13 and add 1/2 c. water. Cover and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours and then uncover for another 15 minutes.

Heyaaa

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:37 pm
This is similar the chicken I grew up on and dh tells me it's better than steak. It's easy as anything.
Place chicken in a pan (I use a whole chicken). Fill cavity with orzo or rice and pour some water over the rice to ensure even the innermost kernels absorb water. Place chicken in tall pan. Sprinkle a generous amount of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper all over the chicken. Pour about 1/3 cup olive oil over the chicken. Pour 2 inches of water over the chicken and in the pan (Some of the spices will fall into the pan).
Bake at 300 for about 4 hours.

It's heavenly.

ettilou

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:35 pm
Someone sent this to me after my first baby many years ago and it still is one of. our favorites... .after cleaning chicken, either with or without skin, marinate chicken in Italian. salad dressing. No more than 30 min. Then dip in cornflake crumbs. Bake covered1 hour and if you can uncover for 15-20min. I usually can't uncover because I forget and its still fine. 350 oven. Enjoy

HappyMommy23

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:39 pm
Thanks for the ideas, I was just checking as I wasn't sure since we do more spice versions, but thanks HY -- good idea to do one of each. I appreciate all the responses!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus