Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff: Should food stamps be used for junk food?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Should food stamps be used for junk food?
Yes  
 26%  [ 30 ]
No  
 62%  [ 72 ]
Other  
 11%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:26 pm
I would like to quote Penguin:

penguin wrote:

Can you still buy soda and candy with food stamps? Well, then, your tax dollars are being badly wasted.

(If you are offended that I am Amother, go and report this post.)

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:44 pm
In theory, yes. In practice, no. Who determines what's junk? Who needs another complicated beuracracy to deal with setting up the guidelines, etc?

Anyway, if the government starts mixing food stamps and health rules, there will be an outcry by recipients to raise the benefits. Healthy food is much costlier than processed junk. Who wants their taxes to cover organic and other expensive health foods?

Just wait till the special interest groups begin lobbying for random food to be counted as a vegetable. High fructose corn syrup, for example? (A

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:01 pm
youngishbear wrote:
In theory, yes. In practice, no. Who determines what's junk? Who needs another complicated beuracracy to deal with setting up the guidelines, etc?

Anyway, if the government starts mixing food stamps and health rules, there will be an outcry by recipients to raise the benefits. Healthy food is much costlier than processed junk. Who wants their taxes to cover organic and other expensive health foods?

Just wait till the special interest groups begin lobbying for random food to be counted as a vegetable. High fructose corn syrup, for example? (A

Who said you only need to buy organic? There are plenty of healthy , non organic options.

Just like there's an approved list for WIC, I think there should be the same for food stamps. Although I am not familiar with either, and it is possible that something like this is already in place.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:05 pm
Absolutely yes! Its your money given to you to spend on food however you wish. To my knowledge there are no rules of what you are allowed to buy with it.
As mothers we try to feed our children responsibly but there are times that call for treats and parties and you are not expected to sit at the register and say oh thats candy so put that on my cc instead.
I dont even get this question op.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:07 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Who said you only need to buy organic? There are plenty of healthy , non organic options.

Just like there's an approved list for WIC, I think there should be the same for food stamps. Although I am not familiar with either, and it is possible that something like this is already in place.

Both my examples (organic and corn syrup as a vegetable) were hyperbolic.
I hear what you're saying, but as I said, costs will go up if regulations increase.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
Absolutely yes! Its your money given to you to spend on food however you wish. To my knowledge there are no rules of what you are allowed to buy with it.
As mothers we try to feed our children responsibly but there are times that call for treats and parties and you are not expected to sit at the register and say oh thats candy so put that on my cc instead.
I dont even get this question op.

Maybe there can be an allotment, so that only a certain (small) amount of candy can be purchased.
Because there are unfortunately so many people who are uneducated about nutrition, and purchase only unhealthy foods. This can escalate to health problems (diabetes, heart disease, obesity, you name it!), costing the government a whole lot more money.

Or maybe there can be two plans: the regular amount of money and no requirements, or a larger amount of money with the provision that only healthy foods can be purchased. And each recipient can choose to sign up for whichever plan they prefer.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:11 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Both my examples (organic and corn syrup as a vegetable) were hyperbolic.
I hear what you're saying, but as I said, costs will go up if regulations increase.

True. But cost of Medicaid will go down eventually, because if people eat healthier there will be less diabetes, heart disease and obesity. It's an investment.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:12 pm
I didn't vote, but want to tell my experience. When my husband was out of work for a good while, we had not a penny to spare. It was a relief to have at least food stamps so that when we wanted to celebrate a child's birthday (definitely had no money for presents at that time) , or acknowledge some other special occasion we were able to at least get an extra treat (nothing extravagant, of course). It made me feel a little less worthless.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:12 pm
As far as I know there are no rules of what you can buy with food stamps so why are imamothers creating these rules?
The bigger question should be can a mother feed her child junk food?
A family is given a portion of food stamps based on family income so the tax dollars are the same regardless of what they buy.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:15 pm
Ok, amothers, you have a point.

Here's my solution: Leave foods stamps as they are, but the gov't should invest $$ in educating people about the importance of good nutrition. They should sponsor classes and extracurricular activities in schools teaching nutrition and maybe even how to cook healthful foods, as well as offer free classes on nutrition and cooking demos and they should advertise...

Sweet dreams... Maybe one day I'll start my own organization and fund all these programs!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:15 pm
I used to eat all kinds of junk food. I had to cut out a lot of stuff for medical reasons. I now go through a lot more produce, eggs, meat, chicken, butter, honey, and nuts than I used to. but I don't buy any pre-frozen foods (aside from a minimal amount of fish sticks and pizza when on sale). I buy cheese in bulk, buy almond flour in bulk, buy candy infrequently, etc. I buy a few bag snacks for the kids, but I try to give them produce for one snack every day.

my grocery bills are about the same as they were before I changed my eating habits. they have gone up a little, but we've also had another baby since then. she eats more than the other kids. they do get some junk food, but it's not a significant portion of their overall diet.

I don't think people's bills will go up that much. I don't think the government should be paying for people's lollipop collection, dunkin donuts, msg-laden snack bags, 7/11 slurpees, tater tots, chicken nuggets, etc. I think people really should learn to cook food from scratch. as long as the recipients of government benefits have a working fridge/freezer and it works, this should be doable.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:16 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Maybe there can be an allotment, so that only a certain (small) amount of candy can be purchased.
Because there are unfortunately so many people who are uneducated about nutrition, and purchase only unhealthy foods. This can escalate to health problems (diabetes, heart disease, obesity, you name it!), costing the government a whole lot more money.

Or maybe there can be two plans: the regular amount of money and no requirements, or a larger amount of money with the provision that only healthy foods can be purchased. And each recipient can choose to sign up for whichever plan they prefer.

But that has nothing to do with food stamps. Families that dont have food stamps buy junk too and have health issues too that cost the government money.
Maybe more awareness needs to be made on nutrition but there are no rules to food stamps.
They are trusting enough to assume that people mostly like to feed their family healthy.

sourstix

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:22 pm
I say yes. because I am a mature adult and have enough self control to know my limits and that of my children. and an occasional treat is something all of us need for motivation not to mention yomtov and shabbis. its part of shopping. its not the main thing but a small part. even pp that dont have food stamps do buy that. and why put so many restrictions? you need more government to control you?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:24 pm
Ask a better ?
Should junk food be sold at all

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:32 pm
SNAP stand for:
Supplemental
Nutrition
Assistance
Program

Therefore, it should only provide supplemental nutrition.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:37 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
True. But cost of Medicaid will go down eventually, because if people eat healthier there will be less diabetes, heart disease and obesity. It's an investment.

Good point! I didn't think of that.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:45 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

I don't think people's bills will go up that much. I don't think the government should be paying for people's lollipop collection, dunkin donuts, msg-laden snack bags, 7/11 slurpees, tater tots, chicken nuggets, etc. I think people really should learn to cook food from scratch. as long as the recipients of government benefits have a working fridge/freezer and it works, this should be doable.

People on food stamps are often working full time. Time is money, hence the thriving fast food industry.

From personal experience, when running out the door to work I'll grab a danish or sandwich rather than bother cutting up a salad.

Ready salads are a very expensive alternative.

mirror

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:26 pm
youngishbear wrote:
People on food stamps are often working full time. Time is money, hence the thriving fast food industry.

From personal experience, when running out the door to work I'll grab a danish or sandwich rather than bother cutting up a salad.

Ready salads are a very expensive alternative.

But if changes are made to the food stamp program, then that will inspire more companies to offer healthier TV Dinners.

My friend shops in Walmart in Monroe and notices how these unfortunate obese black women use their food stamps to buy the TV Dinners that have way more calories than a traditional macaroni and cheese dinner.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:28 pm
I that regulating food stamps to a specific list of foods is getting waaay too invasive for my taste.

WIC is not the same type of program. It was designed for the weaker part of society who are in a stage of life where healthy food is critical for development and the government does not want poverty to get in the way of that. (nursing and pregnant women, infants, children). It was designed as a health program not a food program.

food stamps are just a general food program for anyone who is too poor to afford food. It's not fair to control what poor people eat just because they are poor.

besides, food stamps does not allow prepared food or alcohol so that already limits all the nasty stuff you can buy at restaurants.

sourstix

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:29 pm
[quote="amother"]I didn't vote, but want to tell my experience. When my husband was out of work for a good while, we had not a penny to spare. It was a relief to have at least food stamps so that when we wanted to celebrate a child's birthday (definitely had no money for presents at that time) , or acknowledge some other special occasion we were able to at least get an extra treat (nothing extravagant, of course). It made me feel a little less worthless.[/quote]

thats exactly how I feel sometimes bec dh business is such a fluctuating type. and he sometimes makes enough to cover car expenses he needs for his business. and if I can buy a treat for mychild I feel so much better. yes we have so many issues financially. controlling the peice of chocolate amakes us feel worse. thanks for understanding.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics