Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff: Should food stamps be used for junk food?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Should food stamps be used for junk food?
Yes  
 26%  [ 30 ]
No  
 62%  [ 72 ]
Other  
 11%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 115

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 6:52 pm
This is exactly where this kind of discussion leads. Are instant potatoes made from flakes significantly less nutritious than whole potatoes? Not necessarily.

First, we have ask questions about what foods they're replacing. When I make mashed potatoes, I use the flakes -- DH *hates* homemade mashed potatoes for reasons I've never really understood. But how often do I serve potatoes of any sort? Usually just on Shabbos.

We also have to take into account (a) whether the potato peel is being eaten (I've known certain wicked children who tried to avoid eating the peel); and (b) what's being added to the "real" potatoes in question. If someone is adding heaps of margarine, oil, sour cream, or other toppings, it's entirely possible that the instant flakes might be a better choice.

The notion of "good" and "bad" foods has to occur entirely in context of how and when they're eaten. Besides, if my potato flakes are suspect, I foresee someone coming after my Duncan Hines cake mixes. And that is something up with which I cannot put!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 6:57 pm
http://healthyeating.sfgate.co......html

According to this article, real potatoes are more nutritious than instant.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:04 pm
To those condemning fattening foods, I do want to remind everyone that fat -- in moderation -- is essential to our well being. Peanut butter is a GREAT addition to a meal (provided it's just peanuts, not sugar and transfat in there)....there is nothing wrong with sour cream or butter in mashed potatoes. Fat is what fills us up, and if it is not hydrogenated, and it's from a good source and not over done, it keeps us fuller for longer, and nourishes our bodies.

You can throw the carby potatoes at me now, because I know I got flack for saying it's not unreasonable to be considered a vegetable Wink

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:05 pm
Ok, cake mixes I also thought were not for real.

I'm an idiot. Heading back to my hole, where I never tasted peanut butter till I was way into my 20s.

Last edited by Frumdoc on Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:06 pm
No, you probably eat REAL food where you live Very Happy

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No, you probably eat REAL food where you live Very Happy
nope, just different typesb of rubbish...

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:09 pm
http://www.historyplace.com/wo.....n.htm

Read all about the potato famine. This article is interesting, educational, and states that it is possible to survive on a diet of potatoes.

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:15 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
Ok, cake mixes I also thought were not for real.

My grandmother owned a bakery for many years and was a very accomplished cake-baker. Her first baking lesson to me as a child was: Duncan Hines.

She claimed that the average home baker doesn't have accurate enough measuring equipment or adequate practice to make truly good cake. According to my grandmother, cake -- as opposed to other baked goods -- requires considerable skill when it comes to measuring and mixing the ingredients.

Therefore, she was a firm believer that home bakers should always use Duncan Hines for cakes. BTW, this was a woman who never purchased "store bread" in her life. She was very particular about Duncan Hines -- I don't know why, but she felt it was the best brand.

So when people compliment my cakes, I tell them that the recipe is part of my mesorah from my grandmother. They purr appreciatively at my reverence for doing things just like my grandmother did, and only if they have really excellent senses of humor do I enlighten them about my family minhag.

mirror

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:20 pm
Fox wrote:
My grandmother owned a bakery for many years and was a very accomplished cake-baker. Her first baking lesson to me as a child was: Duncan Hines.

Therefore, she was a firm believer that home bakers should always use Duncan Hines for cakes.

So when people compliment my cakes, I tell them that the recipe is part of my mesorah from my grandmother.

Rolling Laughter

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 9:05 pm
Listen, I grew up on cake mix, instant potatoes, jello, and I am almost 60 and am proud to say that I have only had cancer once.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:11 pm
I do apologize to watergirl though. I really did not intend to insult her.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics