Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it true? You can't check frozen broccoli?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:16 am
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but we have recently decided to be more careful about certain Mitzvos/ Issurim.... So after looking into it, my impression is you CAN'T use frozen broccoli that does not specifically say it's been checked for bugs. My husband wonders then why I'd it that supermarket brands of frozen broccoli have a Hashgacha? How does that Kashrus agency put their symbol on it without checking it for bugs?
Thanks!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:18 am
How would a bug (if there were any) survive being frozen?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:20 am
pesek zman wrote:
How would a bug (if there were any) survive being frozen?

Well I'm assuming we are not allowed to eat dead bugs either

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:37 am
Some say davka get frozen. Others davka fresH

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:44 am
I'm assuming that the hashgacha indicates machinery was clean when it was processed, and that there is no residue from any food besides broccoli.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:52 am
I learned davka frozen is better. That there are unlikely to be any bugs in there, and if one got in, it can be found and removed much more easily.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
I learned davka frozen is better. That there are unlikely to be any bugs in there, and if one got in, it can be found and removed much more easily.

All then what would you do? Would you buy frozen ( without it saying it was checked) and then check it? If so, how?
Or do you just buy the prechecked and use it without checking it

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:26 am
I only buy frozen pre checked broccoli (and cauliflower). No, you cannot checked frozen broccoli and while there is a method for checking fresh it is very time consuming and I wouldn't even trust myself. Stick with the pre-checked since they have special machinery for checking.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:30 am
I've never seen a reliable hechsher on frozen broccoli. If you're talking triangle k or something then the symbol probably means that it wasn't produced on dirty machinery that had been packing veggies in treif cheese sauce or something.

Kol hakavod OP!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:32 am
A tip - try fresh broccolini - pretty easy to check and very tasty. (Only get broccolini, not the similar ones that have tighter packed heads and get pretty buggy.)

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
I've never seen a reliable hechsher on frozen broccoli. If you're talking triangle k or something then the symbol probably means that it wasn't produced on dirty machinery that had been packing veggies in treif cheese sauce or something.

Kol hakavod OP!

where do you live? This is not true in ny/nj! There is Bodek and Eden with a very good hechsher.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
A tip - try fresh broccolini - pretty easy to check and very tasty. (Only get broccolini, not the similar ones that have tighter packed heads and get pretty buggy.)

I agree — broccolini is easier to check and less buggy in general.

BTW, why were you amother for this? Is broccolini that controversial?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 11:50 am
amother wrote:

Thanks! I will look for broccolini ... If you don't mind can you describe how you'd check it? Is it the method of cooking a few minutes, soaking a few minutes, Looking for bugs in the water, and keep repeating until water comes out clean?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 12:39 pm
Quote:

where do you live? This is not true in ny/nj! There is Bodek and Eden with a very good hechsher.

Right, but OP was asking about regular supermarket brands.

How to check broccolini (from the CRC): The vegetable must be washed thoroughly in cold water with either a small amount of a kosher vegetable wash or a soap solution such as dish liquid.* The vegetables are then removed from the water. If there are insects found in the water, the process should be repeated until no insects are found in the water. Then three samples or batches of the vegetable must be checked and if no bugs are found, the remaining produce may be used without further checking.

http://www.crcweb.org/fruit%20.....e.php

Quote:
BTW, why were you amother for this? Is broccolini that controversial?

I made the mistake of being too open about where I live and people figured out who I am. There are a couple of people who think when they see me they can talk freely about whatever I've recently posted so I've become cautious and go amother 95% of the time because I hate feeling stalked even if it's about something innocuous.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:

I made the mistake of being too open about where I live and people figured out who I am. There are a couple of people who think when they see me they can talk freely about whatever I've recently posted so I've become cautious and go amother 95% of the time because I hate feeling stalked even if it's about something innocuous.

Consider changing your screen name; then you won't need to post on pareve topics anonymously.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 12:48 pm
But how to check the three samples?
Also sorry u have to deal w that invasion of privacy!!! Even though I have no clue who you are.
Not sure it will help, Ducky- can't a person see that a person changed names?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 12:57 pm
I think Yael can start an entirely new account with 0 posts. Or temporarily give the "outed" poster 2 accounts/screen names and then she could transition from one name to the other over a few months.

mandksima

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 4:46 pm
I learned that you can puree the broccoli and then it is fine to use non-checked frozen. That works for broccoli kugel. Maybe ask your rav what is okay in your community.

myself

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 5:03 pm
AFAIK the bodek/eden ones are produced in greenhouses and grown in a way that no bugs get to it hence they are bug free and don't require checking.

miami85

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 9:05 pm
I've also wondered why frozen vegetables need to be checked, b/c as far as I recall learning in seminary the issur is only on whole bugs, but if they are disintegrated or crushed then there is no halachic problem which is why falafel is so popular in Israel. Something frozen would cause the bugs to disintegrate when thawed, no?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen