Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it true? You can't check frozen broccoli?
Previous  1  2

cbsp

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 8:10 am
miami85 wrote:
I've also wondered why frozen vegetables need to be checked, b/c as far as I recall learning in seminary the issur is only on whole bugs, but if they are disintegrated or crushed then there is no halachic problem which is why falafel is so popular in Israel. Something frozen would cause the bugs to disintegrate when thawed, no?

As our Rov said, bugsicles are a problem too. Smile I don't think they disintegrate when thawed. I do know that if you're going to puree it then it's not a problem - in fact when the OU acquired the KOAOA (half moon k, pregnant k) the psak was that the frozen berries (which included raspberries) with the half moon k symbol were acceptable only if they were going to be used pureed. I don't think you can put whole bugs in a blender to make real bug juice, but if you don't know for sure that the product has bugs then you can rely on the puree method.

Hope that helped.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen