Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Candles for Shabbos

amother

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 6:37 pm
So confused so many different brands prices etc. Paraffin Neronim tea lights. My candles were melting-neronim burn beautifully means washing glasses-Ayer my husband burns out the candles it was almost impossible to light them. I heard tea lights are not the real thing. Would love to hear ur experiences

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 8:26 pm
Why is this under tehillim?

And why go amother to ask about candle preferences?

miami85

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:22 pm
I've personally had, and know other people who have had bad experiences with neironim--the glasses kept cracking from the heat. I read something somewhere that said that once a upon a time oil was preferred method of lighting but now that candles are made of pure wax and burn cleanly there is no difference. In fact candles may have the advantage over oil in that you can read by candles but you cannot, halachacly read by oil because "you may come to adjust the oil". I dont know what you mean by "not the real thing" tea lights are wax and wax is permitted for Shabbos licht. I use oil and the floating wicks which do not relight well. I believe the idea of husband lighting the wicks to make things easier for you, if he just sets up the lict, that counts. If lighting the wicks and blowing them out make it harder for you then you don't have to do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 12:27 am
My rebbetzin only uses tea lights, so I have no idea what you mean by that. She has bli ayin hara 10 kids, so it's the only economical way to light for all of them! (Buy in bulk at Ikea for best prices.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics