Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Landlord driving us crazy!!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:07 pm
Help! I need any help with rental laws or resources. My landlord is driving us crazy! First with not responding to our apartment problems (nothing we broke but things he legally must take care of like heat) and then locked off the yard from all the tenants. Just put up a fence. No warning. When I called he was like "oh well. I always meant for it to be exclusive".

Where are my kids to play if there is no backyard? We live on a crazy busy street in not the safest area (no going to the park). We have had use of it since we moved in AGES ago. We can't afford to move! I liked the fact that there was a backyard to play in when we moved in! He thinks he can get more rent by marketing the backyard as exclusive to one apartment now, even though when we rented it we were told we can utilize it. HELP!

rachel6543

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:20 pm
Where are you located? Knowing what city or state (or country) will help to recommend what resources are available to help with your situation.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:21 pm
Do you have a contract? If the backyard is mentioned, you may have a case.

bnm

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:28 pm
my landlord locked up the little patch of grass in front of the house where he keeps the garbage cans making it very inconvenient to put the trash bags IN the cans... he gave my husband a key but when I take out the trash I just aim in the general direction of the cans... What he is VERY concerned about his few square feet of grass...... whatever.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 06 2014, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have a contract? If the backyard is mentioned, you may have a case.

I checked. It's not mentioned at all but we were told orally we could use it. Never occurred to me to get the backyard in writing!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 6:29 pm
Bump. This is really bothering us but I guess real life drama can't compare to cyber drama...

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 6:41 pm
Wish I could help Sad

Does it help you if I tell you I don't have a backyard, either?

I didn't think so...

Why don't you look up your rights, or speak to a lawyer about this?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 6:45 pm
if you're in NYC, you can go to tenant.net

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Wish I could help Sad

Does it help you if I tell you I don't have a backyard, either?

I didn't think so...

Why don't you look up your rights, or speak to a lawyer about this?

If I never had one I wouldn't mind as much. I would have known moving in that I would need alternatives and my kids wouldn't have gotten used to it! They are so confused! But I had one and now it was basically stolen from me! And if it's not resolved I know I will resent the new neighbors whenever they move in and utilize a stolen yard.
Guess he wants my kids to play in the busy street? I looked up some stuff about rights but it seems it can get quite messy and involve the courts. I can't afford a lawyer.

abound

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 10:11 pm
If you go to small claims court, you may not need a lawyer (not sure but ask around) bringing pics to prove that you have used the backyard and get witnesses to come prove that you used it all the time in the past. that may help you.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 10:33 pm
abound wrote:
If you go to small claims court, you may not need a lawyer (not sure but ask around) bringing pics to prove that you have used the backyard and get witnesses to come prove that you used it all the time in the past. that may help you.

Interesting idea. Not sure I took pics in the backyard though. Either I forgot my camera inside or too many shadows. Not such a great photographer. We also went a lot on shabbos. But neighbors know I was back there. They know we built a sukkah there but next sukkos we won't be able to. One though said they don't want to get involved as they didn't use it. So they won't vouch for us. Sad

I kind of want to do a " Gorbachev tear down this wall" speech.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics