Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bathtime splashing woes - Am I doomed to be wet?

Dev80

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 4:56 pm
My kids like to splash ALOT in the bath. They want cups and they want the water everywhere. I try to (sort of nicely) ask them not to but I feel bad pushing it to much since a warm, wet bubble bath with lots of splashing is sometimes the high light of the day.

So...make me feel better...even though I get wet (although sometimes now I sit outside the bathroom), and they make a HUGE HUGE mess (nothing destructive though), is it good that I allow them this freedom? Or should this be more disciplined? On one hand I'm like this is annoying and a huge mess and shouldn't I teach them not to do this but like this is their enjoyment so shouldn't I let them enjoy?

Thoughts?

For now getting a glass/plastic door is not an option although I google it more and more each day

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:09 pm
I HATE being wet when im dressed. Cant stand being splashed. I usually take of my shirt and bathe them in my shell so my sleeves stay dry at least but I cant stand when a cup of water gets dumped on me. A few times (tired and pregnant/hormonal usually) I have lost my cool and started yelling when I got soaked.

However I dont think there is a discipline problem with letting them splash. tho I try to enforce only in the tub and not over the side. I also dont have the water very deep. but I dont think I personally would go with doors at this point. I cant close them cause I need quick access with little kids and I hate them when I have bathed at houses that have doors.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:20 pm
1) "No cups". Just say no.

2) The drugstore sells a plastic rain poncho for five dollars. Might be useful.

Water on the floor in huge quantities all the time is going to undermine your house, careful. It gets in anywhere, even if you have tiles.

SRB

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:44 pm
Perhaps try to get them to make less of a mess - no cups. It is dangerous to have so much water on the floor - someone can slip.

I taught my baby how to splash - it was cute at the time and he has fun doing it but my husband warned me not to. The splashing is getting stronger as he growes - your post is a warning for me.

Maybe get some fun bath toys & books to take their attention away from splashing.

Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:47 pm
Right. Little boats.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 6:01 pm
I found that kids bathed together make much more of a mess than kids bathed individually. It also depends how old they are and how much they understand.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 6:03 pm
Also you can close the shower curtain almost all the way, and just sit at the end where it's open. That will stop a lot from getting on the floor.

chatouli

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 6:22 pm
I used to say "two minutes of splashing!" And stand back with the shower curtain closed. I let them go nuts for a couple minutes and then it's over or I take them out.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 6:49 pm
DD has always been a splasher. I just keep a couple of extra large towels on the floor around the tub to contain the mess, and then throw them into the washing machine when she's done. I get the added bonus of having an extra clean bathroom floor, so that's one less room to mop!

When she got older I taught her to keep the shower curtain closed, but at 11 she still loves to splash around in there. It's a sensory thing, and she enjoys it so much I can't stand to take it away from her.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 5:59 am
My dd7 does it with my mom. Me? she knows better than that. It's one of the few things that mommy won't let LOL

rowo

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 5:07 pm
Kids can have lots of fun in the bath without flooding the bathroom.
My kids know if the water comes out of the bath, they come out Wink
I overlook accidents, but if it's starts getting wild and silly I remind them.
They also hate a wet slippery floor and I'm not willing to wash 10 towels everyday.

mommy1108

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 6:40 pm
My fun-loving 3 yr old son likes to splash but I we set good limits. There is a grand splash finale at the end of our baths. I take his baby sister out and let him splash away. I pull the clear shower curtain liner closed and let him splash. He knows that water stays in the shower/bath and this way he can also have fun... Within limits. He enjoys the splashing. Too many no's is never a good thing. Don't ruin their fun, just set limits

rachelbg

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:26 pm
I let them splash until it gets out of hand. Once it's getting to that point I tell them that we have to wind it down, and if there is heavier splashing it's time to come out.

I pull them out promptly / wash them in a no-business fashion then pull them out if there's bigger splashing after I tell them not to.

I also take off my shirt and bathe them in my shell.

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:20 am
Okay thanks for the great tips everyone.

So no more cups is a start, and maybe pulling the curtain closed (although it makes me nervous if I can't really see them). I don't care so much about my clothes getting wet more my tights (and it's too cold for me to walk around barefoot). I've been trying to stick bathtime on DH as much as I can these days Smile.

As others said, there can't be too many nos, and there's nothing really so precious in my bathroom that I would want to make this into a big no no. And maybe I'll try the suggestion of a few minutes of increased splashing and then put a towel down right away and then say okay now no more splashing now quiet play. And maybe I should look into bath crayons, I think they'd like that.

Thanks for feedback and allowing me to get good ideas

monseychick

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:38 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
1) "No cups". Just say no.

2) The drugstore sells a plastic rain poncho for five dollars. Might be useful.

Water on the floor in huge quantities all the time is going to undermine your house, careful. It gets in anywhere, even if you have tiles.

Thats what rubber mats with suction cups are for... Don't be a party pooper Dolly...

:Splash :Splash

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:43 am
Well maybe this is mean but we don't own so I can't say I care so much about the long term life of the tiles (but we are very good tenants and take care of the apt in most other ways!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics