Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Curbless shower stall

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:35 pm
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but I didn't find anything better.

We are building a new home. The master bathroom will have a shower stall (large; 4 x 5") with no tub. I've seen pictures of "curbless showers" which are on the same level as the rest of the floor with no edging and they look really nice. My architect is trying to convince me against doing that because he says that no matter how it is designed, water gets outside of the shower into the rest of the room.

Does anyone have this? Does water get outside? What do you think?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:40 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but I didn't find anything better.

We are building a new home. The master bathroom will have a shower stall (large; 4 x 5") with no tub. I've seen pictures of "curbless showers" which are on the same level as the rest of the floor with no edging and they look really nice. My architect is trying to convince me against doing that because he says that no matter how it is designed, water gets outside of the shower into the rest of the room.

I have used such showers stalls in other people's homes and the water got everywhere Sad

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 5:51 pm
I have them in my house with only a half glass wall. Part of the shower is open. Never does the water leave the shower. The shower floor is subtlety tilted to the drain. If the water gets out, it is built wrong. I used these all over Europe which is why we installed them. We have them in the kids shower also.

mommyla

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 8:28 pm
The shower floor is supposed to be pitched so that the water doesn't get out. A linear drain (aka invisible drain) at the entrance to the shower may do the trick. Also, depending on where the shower head is and how big the stall is, it's entirely possible, especially with a good door. Curbless doesn't necessarily mean doorless, you just need a good frameless door, a sloped floor, and a linear drain.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 8:33 pm
I've used these in countless mikvahs and in the hospital and the water always manages to go everywhere. I thought maybe I'm just doing something wrong (with the shower curtain?) but I can never figure it out. I'm saying this, so that you can keep in mind that however you may build it or know how to get around this problem, if you ever have me as a guest (or anyone like me!) - you might have a flood!! (My that would be embarrassing for the guest....!)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
I've used these in countless mikvahs and in the hospital and the water always manages to go everywhere. I thought maybe I'm just doing something wrong (with the shower curtain?) but I can never figure it out. I'm saying this, so that you can keep in mind that however you may build it or know how to get around this problem, if you ever have me as a guest (or anyone like me!) - you might have a flood!! (My that would be embarrassing for the guest....!)

It would have a door, not a curtain.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 6:49 am
OOTBubby wrote:

Forget about that, how are you going to fit into a shower that's 4-5 inches? Smile
' is a foot Wink
4-5' is huge!! Wow! Lucky you! Enjoy! Sorry, no suggestions.

2gether

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:18 am
I have one and the water goes everywhere!
in one mikva I've been to there was a glass door that completly blocked the water, maybe that would be good.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:23 am
Glass door with a gasket. We are building one for our house. Right now we're trying too decide on the type of door. But ours is tiny!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:30 am
We put a curbless shower in our home. If your bathroom floor slopes toward the shower it will be OK. If the floor outside the shower doesn't slope, all escaping water will spread. And if the drain gets clogged, the water will spread.

Due to the way our home was originally built, the floor outside the shower could not be sloped. Yes, we do get occasional floods. It's well worth it to us because my elderly mother, who has lived with us for about 5 years, is now wheelchair bound. Being able to roll a shower transport chair right into the shower makes it much easier to care for her.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:29 am
Yes, sorry, I did mean 4 x 5 feet; yes, nice and large and it will have a bench in it. We are planning a glass door with a sealing gasket at the bottom. I am going against my architect's recommendation on this, but, ONLY if the contractor is comfortable with it and feels that he can do it right.

mommyla

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:35 pm
Absolutely go for it. It's also excellent for "aging in place" as they call it - no curb to step on or trip over when coming in and out of the shower, especially for those with mobility problems. It looks beautiful. Just make sure that the shower head(s) is/are positioned properly - not aimed directly at the door - and that the floor is properly pitched for drainage.

kitchen designer

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:45 pm
You can also by a pan that is set into the floor so it has all the pitching already.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics