Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am getting the chills! Possibly found cousin here!!
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:59 am
Someone PM'd me that her grandparents are from my home town. Their last name was a family name in our family. I know that I have cousins scattered around the world because my one of my mother's cousins became frum, moved to Boro Park, had 10 kids, and started an organization called Otzar. Cousins, time for a reunion.

We should have the imamother cousin finding service.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:07 pm
My mother is also from your hometown Wink

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My mother is also from your hometown Wink

wow, this is too much Very Happy

what a reunion we could have Exclamation

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:17 pm
My father is from there too! But no cousins as far as we know.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
My father is from there too! But no cousins as far as we know.

There were 10,000 Jews in Louisville when I was growing up. Now there are only about 8,000 and there is a tiny frum community.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:33 pm
I'm the amother above. My grandparents lived in Louisville in the '50s and '60s - my father was born there - then moved away. My grandfather was a shochet.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:04 pm
yup thats me. my father is one of 10 (not #1) and otsar is my grandmother's "baby".

im going anon here cause this will totally give me away. (I pmed you tho but to everyone else)

always wondered if I have any other first cousins here... but I-dont-know-how-many-times-removed-you-are cousins works too lol.

and HY ill give myself away to you too... I knew your grandparents were from there cause your sister told me. and I need to be in touch with you about visiting during midwinter maybe... getting closer. Wink

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
yup thats me. my father is one of 10 (not #1) and otsar is my grandmother's "baby".

im going anon here cause this will totally give me away. (I pmed you tho but to everyone else)

always wondered if I have any other first cousins here... but I-dont-know-how-many-times-removed-you-are cousins works too lol.

and HY ill give myself away to you too... I knew your grandparents were from there cause your sister told me. and I need to be in touch with you about visiting during midwinter maybe... getting closer. Wink

I am planning a trip to NY in the near future so the NY members of the family can get together with me then. Your bubby and I did get together once years ago, and your aunt in Har Nof used to host my daughter when she was in seminary.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:10 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I am planning a trip to NY in the near future so the NY members of the family can get together with me then. Your bubby and I did get together once years ago, and your aunt in Har Nof used to host my daughter when she was in seminary.

cute! im actually not located in NY. located much closer to you and DH is from Detroit and we hope to go there shabbos chanuka.

funny! my aunt in har nof used to host me too Wink currently hosting my sister sometimes.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
cute! im actually not located in NY. located much closer to you and DH is from Detroit and we hope to go there shabbos chanuka.

funny! my aunt in har nof used to host me too Wink currently hosting my sister sometimes.

wow, it would be fun to get together!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:51 pm
lol, amother...didn't realize we had that in common!

I should PM southernbubby

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
lol, amother...didn't realize we had that in common!

I should PM southernbubby

Thanks, we are now a cousins club on imamother!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:07 pm
I read that most Ashkenazi Jews are 4th cousins or something, lots of us with lots of us!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:10 pm
My grandparents were first cousins. My grandmother kept the same last name throughout her life.

But Howdy y'all to all my Louisville cousins and possible cousins!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:10 pm
They say if one Jew talks to another Jew, and they haven't found a point of common ancestry, they haven't talked long enough!

I've met a few cousins here on imamother (don't worry, I won't post who you are) and have found it fascinating to touch base with family members whom I don't meet often (like 2nd, 3rd cousins....) It's one of the imamother perks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My grandparents were first cousins. My grandmother kept the same last name throughout her life.

But Howdy y'all to all my Louisville cousins and possible cousins!

My great-grandparents were first cousins Wink
I like say my siblings are my 4th cousins

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:15 pm
Wow, I only know my mother had an account but almost never logs on. Forget siblings and cousins.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My great-grandparents were first cousins Wink
I like say my siblings are my 4th cousins

Maybe that happened a lot in Louisville. You know, KY with us barefoot hillbillies.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
They say if one Jew talks to another Jew, and they haven't found a point of common ancestry, they haven't talked long enough!

I've met a few cousins here on imamother (don't worry, I won't post who you are) and have found it fascinating to touch base with family members whom I don't meet often (like 2nd, 3rd cousins....) It's one of the imamother perks!

Or one is a convert :/

I stink at jewish geography...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:34 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Maybe that happened a lot in Louisville. You know, KY with us barefoot hillbillies.

Except I'm pretty sure they got married in Lithuania Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics