Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me organize my playroom!!

Lovelymom1

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:09 pm
I need ideas on how to keep my playroom in order. My room is quite small and has one small v shaped closet with wire shelves in the corner corner. In that I keepall the building type of toys like clicks, magna tiles, mega blocks, train sets etc. I have the sterilite containers for that. My question is, where do I keep trucks, loose toys, arts and crafts, dolls and clothing, huge container Lego, playmobil, children's prizes, books, and games? I guess I need another closet or something but don't know where to start... Any recommendations for a real sturdy piece of furniture would be of help. (I'm ready to do custom at this point but I have no idea where to do it). Thanks in advance

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 12:53 pm
One word- bins! Get bins for everything like the lego, playmobile, magnatiles.... I have drawer bins for my playmobile- different sizes for the people, furniture... Makes it easier to play with. Also, for the dolls I got at Target cloth bins without covers- best thing- its flexible and can store a lot of clothes. I have a small bin for the dolls accessories like tights and shoes.

Lovelymom1

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:26 pm
Thank you for the idea of putting the playmobil in the drawers- I like that. I actually have bins without covers for a lot of stuff. My problem is that the room is cluttered all around with bins..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:31 pm
I have a bunch of plastic drawer carts. I have a narrow one that has magformers in one bin, card games in another, rainbow loom stuff in another. Wider ones I have for puzzles and games and individual think fun games and who knows what else. One for extra school supplies and arts and crafts stuff. A couple for my kids' special drawers for their personal tchotchkes. I have a mini bookcase for some of my baby toys/electronic toys. I have fabric bins to put on that for some of the stuff. A huge sterilite container for clics, and the clics container for legos. Smaller lidded bins for k'nex and other building toys...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:55 pm
I have large white closets with doors that you put together yourself - from Lowes or Home Depot.

They look neater especially if the room is small because there's nothing out - all is in the closet when the toys are picked up and the closet doors are closed.

I just picked something that looked similar from Home Depot
Mine has shelves whereas this is intended for hanging I think.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/sto.....CNI-5

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:07 pm
I saw the cutest thing ..let's see if I can describe it. It's a padded bench with large drawers underneath (drawers are the size of bins made out of wicker). So when you close the drawers you basically dont see any bins since they disappear under the bench!

Basya

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:08 pm
Following this since I have similar issues, and always looking for ways to keep it neater. I have no closets in my playroom.

To the poster that listed about the closets that you put together yourself - I find those to be extremely tipsy. Even if they are bolted to the wall - pressed wood is very junky, and I would be terrified of it tipping over onto a child or baby ch''v.

I have big sterilite containers and plastic drawer cart, and the room has a ledge on 2 walls that we line the dolls up on. We hang dress-ups on hooks. Everything still manages to look cluttered usually...

dr. pepper

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:57 pm
B''h we have lots of toys and I find that rotating them does wonders for the cluttered aspect as well as the getting bored of things aspect.

About every 2 weeks or so, I shuffle around some toys (store them somewhere else).

Less toys at once. "New" toys every few weeks.

I also keep one or two containers in kids rooms.

EG. one child has the small lego container. Once child has the doll house and accessories.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:47 pm
How about putting up shelves along one of the walls to take advantage of vertical space? You could leave the bottom of the wall clear to create a parking area for vehicles or large bins, and then put shelving above for toys, prizes, craft materials, etc., that can be housed in smaller containers, and for books.

lfab

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:42 pm
We use an item similar to this one http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....482/ with bins for each toy (we have it placed horizontally not vertically so we don't have to worry about it tipping over.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:44 pm
Basya wrote:
Following this since I have similar issues, and always looking for ways to keep it neater. I have no closets in my playroom.

To the poster that listed about the closets that you put together yourself - I find those to be extremely tipsy. Even if they are bolted to the wall - pressed wood is very junky, and I would be terrified of it tipping over onto a child or baby ch''v.

I have big sterilite containers and plastic drawer cart, and the room has a ledge on 2 walls that we line the dolls up on. We hang dress-ups on hooks. Everything still manages to look cluttered usually...

Ikea has some very sturdy wardrobes that can be designed to your liking... It's worth looking into.

esther malka

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 7:39 pm
I just bought the trofast system from ikea for playmobil, cars bigger than matchbox.... They look great & work great! They are opaque so you don't see the clutter but easy to take in and out and also easy to shtup in another toy without opening a container.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 3:23 am
If you have an ikea near you the trofast system is wonderful. I buy extra boxes with lids (no lids on the boxes that are out) so I can stack the extra toys and rotate them. I write on the side of the box with a wet erase marker what is inside. I have been wanting to take pictures of the toys in the boxes and tape those on so the non reader can also help more. Highly recommend!

As for the art stuff, trofast again but the unit that fits on the wall (so it's too high for the littles to take out themselves). Has space for 6 bins and I put paper on top and a basket with other random stuff and everyting is contained and looks neat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics