Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why can't there be frum schools for ADHD kids!!??
1  2  Next

citimom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:42 pm
Just a vent.... I wish I could find a frum school that deals with ADHD kids!! Like take them on a weekly trip, learn outside, take care of animals etc. I know I won't find one but desperately want this for my son!! Ahhh!! Ok so who is helping
Me open this??

youngishbear

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:47 pm
Can you do a survey on how large a clientele you would service?
I personally know a few kids who could benefit.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:49 pm
My neighbor, who is a licensed psychologist, was discussing how she wishes that they would create these "one room school houses" for children with IQs above 180, ADHD, and a variety of other conditions. She says that they could divide the student up by academic ability and allow them to do "self learning," structure learning, or whatever best works for them. For student who need teachers to be on top of them, they'd have that as well. She'd see kids making a lot of noise, and others busy with their own experiments. It was really not a reality though, but something that she said would be a great idea, especially in imaginary land!

I think that teachers should receive more training on students with different circumstances.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:51 pm
I want to! Don't know if I have what it takes but I believe we really need this kind of school, and it should NOT only be for kids with ADHD but yes it would be a great fit for many who do.

citimom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:59 pm
Oh wow!! We should really put something together!! So many great ideas! Are you all in ny?

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:05 pm
I'm in NY for now, though I think it would be easier to have this kind of school a bit farther out. More space for the farm, for starters Wink Though personally I think EVERY school should have their own vegetable garden, composting program, and workshops. But having these kinds of activities cover the academic learning as well would take a separate school.

animeme

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:21 pm
I'm in, if you throw in high functioning autism.

If you're looking for a high school, Shaarei Arazim in Monsey is a possibility. There's a lot going on there.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:31 pm
put it in Cleveland and I'll enroll my kids. Smile

What's the highest IQ? You said something about IQ over 180. I'm curious because I was told my kid probably had the highest IQ in the history of the school and it's lower than 180. I didn't know 180 was possible. I don't know much about IQ except my kids' scores and what their IEP teams say about those scores.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:33 pm
and while you're at it ... an office for the adhd men to work at!

wife2

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:41 am
There should be a special school for kids like this. For high school age it wouldn't work as the parents and/or the teenage children would be embarrassed to say that their kids go to that school. They just want to be normal and wouldn't want it to ruin their chance for shidduchim. it would be hard for parents to admit that their children have such a big problem that they can benefit from a separate school.

Elementary age, it would be a great idea.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:46 am
wife2 wrote:
There should be a special school for kids like this. For high school age it wouldn't work as the parents and/or the teenage children would be embarrassed to say that their kids go to that school. They just want to be normal and wouldn't want it to ruin their chance for shidduchim. it would be hard for parents to admit that their children have such a big problem that they can benefit from a separate school.

I disagree. I think there are people who would be thrilled to go to that cool new progressive school where learning is done through hands-on projects etc. It would be sophisticated projects, like real science, technology, maybe even political activism, not building birdhouses and going to children's museums.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:58 am
My understanding is that these schools start when a group of parents with similar needs gets together, fund raises, consciousness raises and puts in grass roots efforts.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:03 am
wife2 wrote:

I know people who went to the types of yeshivas that were for the less studious and they did find shidduchim. I see a lot of parents who are no longer ashamed and who carry the banner for diversity and who generate understanding for the sake of their children. I am sure that there are still some who are not yet with the program but it is no longer in vogue to force children to be something that they are not for the cause of shidduchim. Those who are looking for shidduchim with an open mind usually do get married. By open mind, I mean wide open, not just open a crack.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:04 am
amother wrote:
and while you're at it ... an office for the adhd men to work at!

Is an office the right place for people with adhd? They should probably pursue different fields, or be able set their own hours.

Though the truth is many people with adhd have no problem with office skills. It depends on the individual, I guess.

BlueRose52

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:04 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
My neighbor, who is a licensed psychologist, was discussing how she wishes that they would create these "one room school houses" for children with IQs above 180, ADHD, and a variety of other conditions. She says that they could divide the student up by academic ability and allow them to do "self learning," structure learning, or whatever best works for them. For student who need teachers to be on top of them, they'd have that as well. She'd see kids making a lot of noise, and others busy with their own experiments. It was really not a reality though, but something that she said would be a great idea, especially in imaginary land!

I think that teachers should receive more training on students with different circumstances.

It sounds to me like you're describing what is offered at Montessori schools. There are some Orthodox ones even.
http://mynetivot.com/
http://www.luria-academy.org/
http://www.lamplightersyeshivah.com
http://www.thejewishweek.com/n.....ement
http://jewishmontessorisociety.org/

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:33 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
put it in Cleveland and I'll enroll my kids. Smile

What's the highest IQ? You said something about IQ over 180. I'm curious because I was told my kid probably had the highest IQ in the history of the school and it's lower than 180. I didn't know 180 was possible. I don't know much about IQ except my kids' scores and what their IEP teams say about those scores.

There are people with IQs over 200... A scientist comes to mind with a 205. My friend's son has above 190. Your school may not have the tested all students IQs, and please realize that these high scores are almost unheard of: they are for the "Stephen Hawkings" types.... There are IQs considered high that are below 180, but yes, it can go higher. Kim Ung Yong has an Iq of 210. Your son is still extremely bright.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:14 am
I would LOVE to find a school for kids who are twice exceptional (2E). Kids who are bright and very high functioning (at least in some major areas) but who also have significant learning challenges.

It's so hard when your kid is considered "not disabled enough" to go into a special needs school, but not able to function in a mainstream school. Falling through the cracks? There's a whole Grand Canyon out there!

I guarantee you this, if these schools were in place a LOT of Jewish kids would not be in public school right now, because public schools are the only ones making the commitment to pull kids out of class for tutoring, counseling, and behavior modification.

Part time inclusion with extra help on the side is not a model that Jewish day schools are interested in, and they have no problem with kicking out kids who don't fit the mold. It's a complete disgrace that our kids' needs are not being met in our own community.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 5:54 am
I have 2 kids with ADHD and wouldn't want such a school because essentially it's the Montessori model. I work in the public schools in a wealthy district, and when we get kids who've been in Montessori for a few years, they're often behind academically (one kid who came in this year in 5th grade is a bright kid who didn't want to do math, so the Montessori place didn't force him, so he's basically at a 2nd grade math level while his peers are way beyond that and it's a hard situation to be in). Also we see that many of the kids who come in from there have trouble with understanding that their teachers are the ones in charge. They voice their opinions all the time, and not in an appropriate way. They are rude but don't truly seem to understand that they are! So it can take a couple of years before the kid is well integrated academically and socially into the public school setting. (Happens to be we are an excellent district with lots of different activities and movement opportunities and creative outlets so it's not like we're asking them to get used to sitting in a desk for 6 hours straight.)

Also, as my kids with ADHD get older I see that their trouble with executive functioning is something we have to work on a lot, and the more structured an environment is, the more helpful it is. This is our #1 challenge, and I need them to see peer models who are organized and get stuff done without chaos and tears. Definitely wouldn't want them in a setting with just ADHD peers!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:01 am
Quote:
Part time inclusion with extra help on the side is not a model that Jewish day schools are interested in, and they have no problem with kicking out kids who don't fit the mold. It's a complete disgrace that our kids' needs are not being met in our own community.

I have BH not had this experience. Our school has been willing to work with me quite a bit and is invested in my children's success. We have quarterly meetings to discuss how things are going and what can be improved, with the Rebbeim/teachers/tutors/school psych/me all joining forces to talk about the current year and plan ahead for upcoming challenges as well. So there are warm caring schools out there! I will say that I had to be a bit pushy and advocate for my child at the beginning. Because I have the background I felt like I knew what needed to be done. Initially they had told me my one child could only be in school with a full-time shadow, which was ridiculous, and I told them so. I told them exactly what my child needed, and they BH listened. I have found them willing to go above and beyond. However, for parents who may not know what they need from the school, it may be a different story. I find you must be a vocal advocate for your kids and build strong relationships with everyone on staff so they want to be part of your kids' success (you have to keep in mind they don't have the training to know what to do, so you have to get the knowledge first and then share it in a non-threatening manner).

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:27 am
Above amother, kol hakavod. I wish I only had to fight he battle once.

My experience has been that I need to step up every year, with new teachers, and all bets are off com graduation and a new school.

Love the Grand Canyon line.

I'm too tired and probably too far away to create such a place, but I'd gladly add my ideas if they would be helpful.

The only things I saw when I researched seemed to be subtitled "Schools for the Not So Bright", which does not fit for many of these kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics