Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why can't there be frum schools for ADHD kids!!??
Previous  1  2

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:49 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
My neighbor, who is a licensed psychologist, was discussing how she wishes that they would create these "one room school houses" for children with IQs above 180, ADHD, and a variety of other conditions. She says that they could divide the student up by academic ability and allow them to do "self learning," structure learning, or whatever best works for them. For student who need teachers to be on top of them, they'd have that as well. She'd see kids making a lot of noise, and others busy with their own experiments. It was really not a reality though, but something that she said would be a great idea, especially in imaginary land!

I think that teachers should receive more training on students with different circumstances.

We have a school like that here in Antwerp. Its called lamdanu. I send my 2 big ones there. They go there for a couple of years till they are on par with the school they came from and then get integrated back into their previous school.

My kids have learning difficulty.

mille

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:18 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
put it in Cleveland and I'll enroll my kids. Smile

What's the highest IQ? You said something about IQ over 180. I'm curious because I was told my kid probably had the highest IQ in the history of the school and it's lower than 180. I didn't know 180 was possible. I don't know much about IQ except my kids' scores and what their IEP teams say about those scores.

Not sure about your knowledge of basic statistics, but IQ scores fall out very neatly on a bell curve with 100 being the mean. 1 standard deviation is 15 pts, and the majority of the population falls between scores of 85 and 115. Scores above 130 are seen in less than 5% of the population. At that point, debating how much "better" one score is from another seems silly.

That said, I've heard many in the field of psychology quibble about the validity of IQ tests. I have no real opinion, since nothing I do remotely involves IQ testing, but it's something maybe to keep in mind.

morah

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:23 am
I don't know that a separate school is required. Kids with ADHD need help succeeding in a mainsteam world, they don't necessarily need their own space created just for them. I think the schools we have need better trained teachers (equipped to handle kids with different needs) and more innovative instructional programming. ALL kids, even those with no issues, would benefit from not having to sit at desks and memorize stuff for hours at a time.

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:25 pm
There is a school like this in Lakewood - it is called Derech HaTorah. It is a very stimulating model, in keeping with ADHD kid's need for high-interest materials. I looked into it for my DS but ultimately, we found another school. It's run by Rabbis Lapa and Stammler. I know they do a lot of switching - you learn in short, intense bursts, with activity breaks, lots of multisensory stuff, etc. I don't know that much about it, but it's good to know that it's there in case his current school doesn't work out.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:37 pm
It's sometimes hard finding a good school in any case... there would need to be eough of a need in driving distance, unless it's a dorm.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:47 pm
Oros yisroel in Lakewood sounds like the school ur looking for/to create. It's a Yeshivah for regular boys who have challenges learning the conventional way. A large percentage are boys with ADHD. It's a wonderful yeshiva where the boys seem to thrive.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
Oros yisroel in Lakewood sounds like the school ur looking for/to create. It's a Yeshivah for regular boys who have challenges learning the conventional way. A large percentage are boys with ADHD. It's a wonderful yeshiva where the boys seem to thrive.

is that a high school?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:04 pm
No oros by is a girls hs, oros yisroel is a boys elementary school for boys who need help learning but are otherwise normal.

Bruria

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:42 am
mille wrote:
Not sure about your knowledge of basic statistics, but IQ scores fall out very neatly on a bell curve with 100 being the mean. 1 standard deviation is 15 pts, and the majority of the population falls between scores of 85 and 115. Scores above 130 are seen in less than 5% of the population. At that point, debating how much "better" one score is from another seems silly.

That said, I've heard many in the field of psychology quibble about the validity of IQ tests. I have no real opinion, since nothing I do remotely involves IQ testing, but it's something maybe to keep in mind.
I completely agree with you!As does MENSA http://www.us.mensa.org/join/t.....ores/
95% or greater and a person is accepted.
As far as I know above 130 is 2% of the bell curve and most instruments of evaluation do not make a difference between scores at that point. And even though they are considered valid, I agree with you that they do not explore all types of intelligence.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics