Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can you give me detailed info? Boys schools in Woodmere

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:48 pm
We are disappointed and dissatisfied with all the school options where we live now and, having spent some time in Woodmere in the past, are looking into moving there so we can give our kids a good education.

We are from a Chassidish background, but are open to any and all schools on the religious spectrum, as long as it meets our criteria in educational level and system.

So, what are the options, and what can you tell me about the level of the education? The educational model, meaning is it more contemporary Montessori-style classrooms, or old school sitting-in-a-desk-for-hours? Are the teachers and mechanchim certified and/or holding degrees, or can anyone apply and be hired? What about the sensitivity levels to the kids?

I apologize in advance, but we need to make a very informed decision about this. If this fails, our next option is homeschooling Smile

Thank you.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:04 pm
You have siach yitzchak in far Rockaway. Small warm. Chasiddish leaning. I have many friends there who say that while academics is not tops they are very happy with the English education.

Darchei Torah in far Rockaway. Community school. HUGE. Yeshivish. Very good dealing with special situations.

Yeahiva south shore. More modern. Some parents don't fully cover hair etc.
Boys do wear hats and still considered yeshivish. English is seen as very good.

yeahiva katana : honestly don't know much about it. Modern yeshivish?

Halb. Mixed until 5th grade. Going more right wing with their new building. AMAZING English deparment.

Hanc mixed until 5/6th most liberal and left wing

I only have girls those are what I know of the schools off the top of my head

SplitPea

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:05 pm
Also a new montosori school is opening in woodmere I think.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:06 pm
Thank you so much!

Do you know anything about the educational models and teaching methods in any of these schools?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:08 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Also a new montosori school is opening in woodmere I think.

Really?! That would be perfect, if it is so. Do you know where I can get more information on that?

SplitPea

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much!

Do you know anything about the educational models and teaching methods in any of these schools?

Sorry I don't know specifics except to know that none are montisori style specifically. Most seem pretty traditional but I know especially Darchei and south shore go to workshops and try to implement new things.

Again I have only girls and we homeschool on top of that so I am only speaking from what is general knowledge and working in one of the preschools.

I don't have contact info on the montisori school that everyone is talking about. I know it's been mentioned on the FTS yahoo group and in the far Rockaway mom facebook group a few times but I never pay attention because it does not apply to me.

If you are specifically looking for montisori style there is a very good established one in NJ

SplitPea

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:24 pm
All of the schools are open and doing interviews right now if you are somewhat local why not just go down the list and visit them all and ask all your questions?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:27 pm
I really appreciate your responses, and they are very helpful. Thank you.

granolamom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:36 am
Halb is not mixed until 5th grade.
Preschool has boys and girls in the same classes. After that, classes are separate though in the same building through 8th. They have separate high schools, SKA for girls and DRS for boys.

You can PM me about HALB and Yeshiva South Shore, I've sent kids to both.

nylon

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 8:01 am
HANC is in West Hempstead. HAFTR is in the 5T and at least when I moved away, was coed through 5th, separate classes but same building after.

starmarket

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:31 pm
Yikes - Halb isn't mixed until 5th grade! They separate after preschool - and the high schools are in two totally different locations!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:34 pm
starmarket wrote:
Yikes - Halb isn't mixed until 5th grade! They separate after preschool - and the high schools are in two totally different locations!

I'm the OP of this thread
Can you help me with details about HALB?

starmarket

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:45 pm
Sure! PM me?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 10:14 pm
I did. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating