Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Unbiased review plz - binyan blocks

imamazing

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:06 am
I know there currently is another thread on this topic, but one of the posters that is following the thread is a representative/ owner of the company, so I feel posters aren't being totally truthful.

What is your unbiased opinion... Lego or binyan blocks? How is the quality? Do your kids really enjoy them or was it a novelty that quickly wore off and they went back to the legos? Would you buy them again or not?

Thanks

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:07 am
I don't know much about Binyan Blocks, but Legos are one of the most fantastic toys out there! Binyan Blocks are probably useful to be used in addition to and not in place of Legos.

imamazing

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:00 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I don't know much about Binyan Blocks, but Legos are one of the most fantastic toys out there! Binyan Blocks are probably useful to be used in addition to and not in place of Legos.

thx. I have a large basic lego set. Do you have any specific building set that you would recommend for the 6-8 year age bracket? thx

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:22 pm
For that age I really like the smaller lego "creator" sets that can be taken apart and rebuilt into 3 different things. Anything recommended for age 7+. You get more mileage out of the lego because it can keep being taken apart and remade into something different.

The small "city" sets are great too. They inspire a lot of creative, imaginative play. For young kids I'd recommend starting with sets under 400 pieces and discussing sorting and storage before you open the box.

As far as Binyan Blocks, one of my lego crazy kids got a set as a gift and never even finished constructing it. It was difficult to follow and the pieces were hard to get apart, even with the little orange lego lever. He ended up making a pretty good copy of the picture out of real lego, though.

imamazing

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
For that age I really like the smaller lego "creator" sets that can be taken apart and rebuilt into 3 different things. Anything recommended for age 7+. You get more mileage out of the lego because it can keep being taken apart and remade into something different.

The small "city" sets are great too. They inspire a lot of creative, imaginative play. For young kids I'd recommend starting with sets under 400 pieces and discussing sorting and storage before you open the box.

As far as Binyan Blocks, one of my lego crazy kids got a set as a gift and never even finished constructing it. It was difficult to follow and the pieces were hard to get apart, even with the little orange lego lever. He ended up making a pretty good copy of the picture out of real lego, though.

Thx amother. This was very helpful.

Tova

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:25 pm
Binyan blocks are expensive (you can get deals on Lego's) and don't stay together well :-(

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:41 pm
I have both and my kids enjoy them equally.
I find they're of similar quality and durability.

JollyMommy

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:53 pm
We did the Binyan Blocks shul and it was an incredibly bonding family project. We all enjoyed it.

For playing alone and easy to follow instructions Lego is better, but I don't buy Lego any more, I just use the Lego rental service at www.pley.com it's $15 a month up to 4 sets!

I am very pro buying Jewish brands and shopping in Jewish stores if at all possible. I would buy Binyan Blocks again.

Bruria

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:57 pm
Binyan blocks are fun because of the Jewish theme, but to be completely honest I haven't see yet blocks that fit as perfectly as Lego.
I think it's nice to have both sets, Binyan and Lego.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:33 am
My house is full of Lego and I love the hours of imaginative play that my boys do with the Lego. On a pouring rainy shabbos it can keep them busy for hours.
Yesterday in the grocery store I bought for $4.99 a Binyan block draidel with a menchy and it was total junk. My son had a hard time clicking the pieces together pieces are uneven so it doesn't snap together as fast and this son makes complicated difficult sets with Lego all the time. I ended up having to make it and I had a hard time getting the pieces to snap together and in an adult. The quality is horrible and I instructions are so confusing and this was a small set. I also kept thinking that the reviews on imamother were so positive but now reading it here I see people just wrote positive because the owner was on the thread.
The mennchy also wasn't finished. Overall the wiki sty is terrible and for the price they we charging I would stay far away.
Your kids can make a shul out of Lego too. That's the point of Lego to use your imagination and you can make it Jewish themed.

ahuvaw1

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 5:07 pm
This anonymous post complaining about the dreidel is ridiculous. We sold over 15,000 dreidels over the past 2 years and the ONLY issues we had were some of them were missing pieces (12 out of 15,000).

The menchie DOES come assembled. You can see it through the clear plastic.
type "Binyan Blocks Dreidel" in a google search and you can see it for yourself

Never did we get a single complaint of pieces uneven because it is not true.
And 5 dollars for a menchie and a 35 piece dreidel... too much?

This is someone looking to get freebies as I once offered on another thread. Sorry, not this time "Anonymous Post". this is what the torah calls "motzei shem rah"

Here is an unsolicited review from Baily Paluch, Author of Boy oh Boy!
Boy oh Boy blog
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics