Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you ever wish you can change the world?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:10 pm
First, let me apologize for my bad English - this isn't my first langugae.

Now back to the topic-
I have two sides to me. There's this part of me that is just happy to be a wife and a mother. Really happy and satisfied with my lot in life. This is the part that is stronger by me most times.
Then there's this other side to me. That part of me that wishes I could do really good, important things and change the world for the better. This isn't about leaving my mark in the world or being famous- it's just about doing great things, big things.
So while I for the most part live my small beautiful and important life very happily,I somtimes feel so sad and down about not doing more, not achieving more. Not changing the world for the better.

Do you ever feel this way? Do you ever watch a movie about great people who did great things and feel like you are not living up to your potential? Like you want to do something bigger and better for the big world out there?
Anon becuase I have discussed this IRL.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:15 pm
I know exactly what you mean.
Then life goes on just as it did in the past and I remain who I was up until now.

Smile

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:00 pm
I feel like that all the time. I'm a childhood cancer survivor and I feel like God must've left me down here for some great grand significant reason.

If only I can figure out what that is.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:28 pm
yes. my father, alav Hashalom, was born in Europe before the Holocaust but was b"H able to get to get out before the concentration camps. The story goes that he was looking at a picture of his class and realized how lucky he was to be alive compared to many/ most? of his classmates and decided there must be a reason. He ended up becoming a volunteer meshulach and raised A LOT of money for people in Israel. I find his story very inspirational- if only I can figure out how I can personally change the world.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:17 am
OP here.
I find it so nice to hear that other people feel the same way.
I, too, wish I could figure out what it is that I could do.
I find that some people have more obvious missions. Like, if someone was born gay they have a fight to fight, a mission. That's just an example.
And if I had money maybe I could open a chessed organization or something. But must tehre be something we could do now?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:35 am
I don't think I have the talent, wisdom, or strength to do anything amazing by myself. I change the world in small ways, one person at a time. Even if they never remember me, I hope that the good that I do could have the "butterfly effect" in their lives. I have NO desire for personal fame of any kind.

If I could do one thing to change the world, it would be to bring Moshiach. Just tell me what it will take, and I will do it!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I don't think I have the talent, wisdom, or strength to do anything amazing by myself. I change the world in small ways, one person at a time. Even if they never remember me, I hope that the good that I do could have the "butterfly effect" in their lives. I have NO desire for personal fame of any kind.

If I could do one thing to change the world, it would be to bring Moshiach. Just tell me what it will take, and I will do it!

Right, that's my problem- I don'thtink I have the talents to change anything and that makes me sad. I always say what you say- that if I change myself and be a good mom and wife then that's enough. But sometimes I just wish I could do MORE. why not? why not dream big? why leave the work for others?
BTW I didn't mean fame at all. Im the shy type - would never want to be known.
I wihs I could tell you how to bring moshiach!!!

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:45 am
I don't really think about the world at large, I do wish I could change myself for the better...

morah

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:02 am
At this stage in my life, my job is to raise children who are capable of changing the world. But also, kids grow up. And you can work on changing the world then. Who says you have to be young to change the world? You can do it when you're middle aged or even elderly!

Temilia

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:12 am
What's the famous story about the great Rav (a tanna maybe?) who wanted to change the whole world?
General gist is he wanted to change the whole world but it got too difficult. So decided to change his whole country. But still too difficult. So decided to change his whole city. Yet again still too difficult. So decided to change whole neighborhood. But still, it was to difficult.
So he decided to change his family. But they resisted change. Then settled on just working on himself. And said if only I had done the opposite. First worked on my self etc...
The message being one I think about a lot. Every person is an olam katan. A small world. Let's focus on the only thing in world we have control of. Which at the end of the day is only us. Our behaviors, and our reactions.
Have I changed all the negative characteristics within me? Am I still impulsive, angry, lazy, jealous? Do I utilize my time wisely? Am I happy with what I have etc..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics