Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Please recommend a vacuum cleaner!
1  2  Next

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:26 pm
My faithful old cheapo Dirt Devil is on its last legs (and it lasted a lot longer than I expected it to!). I'm on the lookout for a better vacuum now that I have more carpet in my home. Does anyone have a vacuum that they are thrilled with? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on it, but probably not in the league of a Dyson (which, according to Consumer Reports, is not the greatest for carpet anyway).

Willing to consider a canister. It must be light enough to lug up and down stairs and have attachments to clean said stairs. A long cord is a plus. It will be used primarily on carpet. We don't have any pets but we do have kids who tend to shed a lot of hair for some reason. No need for fancy allergy-filtering models.

If you have a great vacuum to recommend, please do it here! Thanks!

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 5:33 pm
Bump - does anyone have any suggestions? Please? Smile

monkey

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 5:47 pm
The Miele works great for me!

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:03 pm
Thanks monkey! Which model do you have? How much did it cost? What do you like about it?

monkey

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:10 pm
This is basically the one I have...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....zcA9A

Its light weight, comes with a lot of attachment pieces to clean all types of areas (car, curtains etc) just does the job well!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:47 pm
I have this and love it, love it, love it http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....EN5VV Lightweight, great warranty, works as canister and upright, works great on hard floors and to eliminate dust, HEPA filter, no belts or bags to replace....my kids use it all the time as well. Only downside is that the brush roll is loud when using it on carpet.

mommyla

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:54 pm
Thank you, Hashem_Yaazor! I was just looking at what seems to be the newer/more professional version of that: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....10562 and it looks like what I need. I compared it to monkey's Miele on Consumer Reports and it's rated better, especially for carpet, and the lower price is a plus too. I also like that it's beltless.

Thanks again to both of you, I really appreciate the advice. It's my first time buying a decent vacuum and I want to make sure I get my money's worth!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:08 pm
I have a miele. It pays too invest in ab expensive one

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
I have a miele. It pays too invest in ab expensive one

All of the better-rated Mieles (my MIL has one of the really good ones, like an $800 one) are too expensive - I can't justify spending so much on a vacuum right now. Maybe one day! And the less expensive ones (still a bit above budget) are not rated as well.

I'm going to Bed Bath & Beyond today to check out the Shark and see if there are any other options that look good. Thanks once again to all of you!

Talya

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:47 am
mommyla wrote:
All of the better-rated Mieles (my MIL has one of the really good ones, like an $800 one) are too expensive - I can't justify spending so much on a vacuum right now. Maybe one day! And the less expensive ones (still a bit above budget) are not rated as well.

I'm going to Bed Bath & Beyond today to check out the Shark and see if there are any other options that look good. Thanks once again to all of you!

Might be a good idea to figure out which one you want and then don't buy from bed bath and beyond because they are a more expensive option. Then after all your hard work and research let me know which one you end up getting because I'm on the market for one as well Smile

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:53 am
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Shark. And Bed Bath & Beyond's pricing is pretty good on it, plus I have a 20% off coupon which makes it cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I'll let you know what I end up getting!

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:59 am
mommyla wrote:
My faithful old cheapo Dirt Devil is on its last legs (and it lasted a lot longer than I expected it to!). I'm on the lookout for a better vacuum now that I have more carpet in my home. Does anyone have a vacuum that they are thrilled with? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on it, but probably not in the league of a Dyson (which, according to Consumer Reports, is not the greatest for carpet anyway).

Willing to consider a canister. It must be light enough to lug up and down stairs and have attachments to clean said stairs. A long cord is a plus. It will be used primarily on carpet. We don't have any pets but we do have kids who tend to shed a lot of hair for some reason. No need for fancy allergy-filtering models.

If you have a great vacuum to recommend, please do it here! Thanks!

What's wrong with a Dyson besides price? Someone gave me one (so price wasn't figured in) and I have carpets... Want to know what to lookout for.
It's too heavy for lugging up and down stairs but I don't have that issue. But I love the canister aspect. No touching the dirt ever. Pop and it's out. Press and bottom is open. Glides back into place to start again.

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:14 am
Reviews say that Dyson is best for hardwood flooring, and decent for carpet. I was once in a vacuum repair shop where the owner said that 70% of the vacuums currently being repaired were Dysons, and that they're not worth it. I'm skipping the Dyson for sure even though there was a pretty good deal on them at Costco recently!

The Shark can also be emptied without touching the dirt. My Dirt Devil can too. That's not unique to Dyson.

But even if the Dyson was perfect, I couldn't pay $400+ for a vacuum at this point in my life.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:40 am
Definitely go with a Shark from BBB, because besides their great warranty, BBB will back any product you buy from them, so you're covered.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:16 am
I went through a few vacuum cleaners during the first 2 yrs I was married. They break so fast!! Finally, I bought a meille. It is around 8 yrs old and works perfectly. Never any problems at all! I think I spent $600. ...don't know how I was able to afford it back then but I'm so glad we have it now! When I went to the electronic store they asked me questions about the type of flooring we have (mostly carpets) and they told me to get this one. Each one of the mielles serves a different purpose. I would rely on an expert to guide you to the right model. It's a lot to spend but you are not going to need a new vacuum for many, many years.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:43 am
I had a Dirt Devil or whatever for 10 years, only 1 repair needed (under warranty) but it needed replacement of belts, had no anti-allergen filter, and was heavy! So when we moved we didn't take the vacuum with us and got the Shark, which is more than a DD but still way below the cost of a Dyson/Miele, and I don't think we've sacrificed anything. I have no idea how long it lasts. Let's say right after 5 years, when it's past warranty, it dies. So I'll get a new vacuum for another $150-$200. Isn't that much more affordable than $600 to begin with?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 11:58 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I had a Dirt Devil or whatever for 10 years, only 1 repair needed (under warranty) but it needed replacement of belts, had no anti-allergen filter, and was heavy! So when we moved we didn't take the vacuum with us and got the Shark, which is more than a DD but still way below the cost of a Dyson/Miele, and I don't think we've sacrificed anything. I have no idea how long it lasts. Let's say right after 5 years, when it's past warranty, it dies. So I'll get a new vacuum for another $150-$200. Isn't that much more affordable than $600 to begin with?

not really ...you are spending $400 is 5 yrs while I spent $600 in 8 yrs ...

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:44 pm
In the almost ten years since I got married, I spent about $120 total on two vacuums, a Dirt Devil and a Eureka. I think I had to replace one belt and never needed a repair. I'm hoping that this new vacuum will last even longer because it's better quality.

I just got the Shark and am excited! Thanks, everyone.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:59 pm

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:08 pm
Very Happy Now if only they made a vacuuming version...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry