Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
ISO Idea how to sweeten instant baby cereal in a healthy way
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:19 pm
My baby wouldn't eat instant baby cereal unless I sweeten it. I tried apple juice diluted in water and she loved it. I don't like the idea of apple juice. To me it's kinda junky. Is there any other way I can sweeten it and not feel so guilty? TIA

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:21 pm
Pureed fruit?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:22 pm
Breast milk is sweet. But there's nothing nutritious in baby cereal so maybe he's just being smart and telling you to skip it Smile

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:23 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Breast milk is sweet. But there's nothing nutritious in baby cereal so maybe he's just being smart and telling you to skip it Smile

Is it not satisfying either??

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:26 pm
What do you mean by satisfying? Grains are difficult for babies to digest.

busydev

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:29 pm
do you use water or BM/formula?

Mix the "glop" (baby cereal) with fruit jars.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:51 pm
most people will use apple sauce ... but I've used pureed pears (sold in baby jars). It gives a great taste and since my babies are usually constipated, this solved the problem. (not sure why but pureed pears and pear juice works like prune juice does for babies and is recommended by the pediatrician.)

busydev

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
most people will use apple sauce ... but I've used pureed pears (sold in baby jars). It gives a great taste and since my babies are usually constipated, this solved the problem. (not sure why but pureed pears and pear juice works like prune juice does for babies and is recommended by the pediatrician.)

not just for babies. adults can be "helped" from ripe pears as well afaik.

Karnash

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:14 am
puree dried dates (take off the crinkly skin)

ocee

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:45 am
Silan, it's date syrup.
I believe It's available with or without sugar.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:04 am
Try molasses. It's full of iron, vitamins, minerals, and all kinds of amino acids. Babies often don't get enough iron, so it's a good thing to add to their diet.

Source: Adelle Davis "Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit."

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:05 am
Skip the cereal - it's gross, not nutritious and difficult to digest! How old is baby? Even after 6m babies don't really need solids so much for nutrition, just breastmilk/formula. Have you heard of baby led weaning? She might prefer a nice chunk of soft fruit - teaching her to sweeten something bland is a bad idea - and all types of sugar (inc the 'healthy' ones, silan etc.) are still sugar!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
My baby wouldn't eat instant baby cereal unless I sweeten it. I tried apple juice diluted in water and she loved it. I don't like the idea of apple juice. To me it's kinda junky. Is there any other way I can sweeten it and not feel so guilty? TIA
If you specifically want to use juice, my doctor said the best pick is white grape juice.
I would use pureed fruit.

2gether

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:59 am
try a different flavor instant baby cereal;vanilla, fruit,etc.

Elbowmac

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:29 pm
As others have mentioned, can you try mixing it with pureed pears, or apples, or any other fruit of your choosing?

wife2

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:

you don't need to give cereal at all. go straight to jars of fruit / veggies and add the cereal to the jar.
you can mix in pears/apples/any other jar with the cereal. pears are good because they help with constipation so it will be easier for your baby to break down the cereal.

you don't have to give cereal though - no need for it

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:57 pm
wife2 wrote:
you don't need to give cereal at all. go straight to jars of fruit / veggies and add the cereal to the jar.
you can mix in pears/apples/any other jar with the cereal. pears are good because they help with constipation so it will be easier for your baby to break down the cereal.

you don't have to give cereal though - no need for it
I give her cereal since I think she might be hungry despite me nursing her. HOW DOES ONE KNOW WHETHER A BABY IS STILL HUNGRY??

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:57 pm
unsatisfied after nursing.
Not their normal happy self
Grabbing at food
Ds was 7mo.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
I give her cereal since I think she might be hungry despite me nursing her. HOW DOES ONE KNOW WHETHER A BABY IS STILL HUNGRY??

Hungry babies usually let you know Wink

Just skip the cereal and go for fruits and veggies. Or chicken.

newmommy1

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:51 pm
Unsweetened applesauce
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics