Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ds 14 wants an Extremely sharp pocket knife

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:03 pm
Ds 14 wants this pocket knife:
SOG Aegis Mini Knife
It is extremely sharp and one of the reviewers said that he got a big cut on his finger because he forgot to close it and left it open in his pocket. When he reached for it in his pocket he got a huge cut. There is a latch for secure close but if he forgets it open in his pocket it's dangerous. Dh thinks it's ok because boys have pocket knife. I think this one is especially sharp and not for kids. Wwyd

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:30 pm
Bump

youngishbear

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:00 pm
I don't know what to advise you... I'm honestly dreading the day my son starts asking for scary stuff.
But isn't it funny that the ads on this page are 1- knives 2- swiss comfort shoes?

Try bumping it in a few hours, when the East Coast is up and awake...

chani8

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:05 pm
Why does he want a pocket knife? To feel safe??

vicki

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:44 pm
Why in the world would you buy your son an extremely sharp weapon?
Will he take it to school? (I hope not)
Will he go play basketball with it? (I hope not)
Will he sharpen it in his bedroom in the evening?

Just say no. He's 14.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 6:43 am
He wants it. Just to open boxes etc. my Dh and bil think its natural for a boy and they had it when they where growing up. We are bt. They think he has to learn to take care of it. It folding. He is not taking it to school

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:18 am
If your son is mentally stable and not very impulsive, than yes, it is normal for a 14-year-old to have a pocket knife. It's especially useful if he goes hiking, camping, or fishing — outdoor stuff. But if the main use is opening purchases from Amazon, he doesn't need it.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:01 pm
New amother here.

My ds wants to learn how to shoot a gun. He met someone who teaches people how to shoot guns at a shooting range.

We keep saying no, and he keeps asking.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:58 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If your son is mentally stable and not very impulsive, than yes, it is normal for a 14-year-old to have a pocket knife. It's especially useful if he goes hiking, camping, or fishing — outdoor stuff. But if the main use is opening purchases from Amazon, he doesn't need it.

He doesn't go camping fishing or hiking. It's just everyday use. My bil has a pocket knife collection. He also doesn't go hiking fishing or camping. He is secular in his fourties.

susan11230

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Ds 14 wants this pocket knife:
SOG Aegis Mini Knife
It is extremely sharp and one of the reviewers said that he got a big cut on his finger because he forgot to close it and left it open in his pocket. When he reached for it in his pocket he got a huge cut. There is a latch for secure close but if he forgets it open in his pocket it's dangerous. Dh thinks it's ok because boys have pocket knife. I think this one is especially sharp and not for kids. Wwyd

Just say NO NO and NO again why does a 14 year old need a knife in his pocket for, Just think ahead what if chas ve shalom even by mistake he will hurt someone with it or himself , its a weapon like any other and shouldnt be caring it around at all , Knifes are for the kitchen for cutting food , eating etc not for a 14 year old or even an adult to carry around for no aparent reason , so just say no way hoze

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:54 pm
Not that long ago, almost every man carried a knife. I'll go back to my original comment but phrase it differently: Is your son mature enough to use a knife responsibly?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Not that long ago, almost every man carried a knife. I'll go back to my original comment but phrase it differently: Is your son mature enough to use a knife responsibly?

Yes he is. But he is still a child. He spaces out sometimes. I'm not comfortable with it. Bil told me every boy had a pocket knife when he was growing up. Wwyd

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:03 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
this is your original comment. He doesn't go fishing camping or hiking. Just for everyday use. I guess mainly envelopes and boxes.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:06 pm
You have to know your child. One of my sons wanted a Leatherman but he was older than your son, and very responsible. And he was (and is) a serious hiker.

I just looked up the knife in question. A boy who is not outdoorsy might do better to get a Victorinox Swiss Army multi-purpose knife or a Leatherman multi-tool.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 5:14 pm
It doesn't matter what boys used to carry around. You are his parent and you get to have a say regardless of what used to be.

Sounds like all he needs is a simple letter opener, but he wants a knife for the cool factor.

eschaya

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:10 pm
My brother wanted - and got - a Swiss Army knife when he was a teen. But our family likes camping and hiking, and he'd read the Army Survival Handbook for fun, so no one was worried. He is also a very thoughtful, quiet, and stable kid (ok, not a kid anymore).
With my DSs on the other hand... they currently like digging, and using sticks and I once found them in the backyard with an ax they had dug up in the woods around my house. I confiscated it. I'm not sure I'd trust them, so in their case I'd probably say no... got just a few more years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics