Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Feeling guilty for spending so much money on shaitels

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:05 am
I went to a shaitel sale intending to buy one shaitel, and I ended up buying two!

I'm feeling really guilty now, for spending so much money. It was

The way it happened was- I've been dreaming of buying a curly shaitel for a few years now, and there was a curly fall there that I really liked. But it would have cost a lot of money to have it made.into a full wig, and I suddenly saw a different full wig on sale that was significantly reduced. The full wig wasnt what I was looking for originally- it was straight and not curly, but it was the right length and color.

Anyway instead of buying 1 curly full wig like I'd planned- I bought 1 curly fall and 1 straight shaitel.

I'm a sucker for "bargains" :-(

So now I'm feeling
1. Guilty for spending so much money (it was 3000 dollars for both, otherwise it would have been 2300 dollars for the curly fall-made-into-a-full-shaitel, which was also more that I was hoping to spend)
2. Worried I won't actually want to wear a fall for weekdays and would have been better off with a full wig
3. Worried I won't like the straight wig for shabbos, when I'd planned on wearing curly
4. Feeling stupid that I won't be needing my perfectly good (if 4 yrs old) current shaitel anymore

I can't even try on the sheitels now to reassure myself that I like them, because they are still by the shaitelmacher for alterations

(anonymous because I told a few friends these details.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:11 am
Enjoy your sheitels.

You can put some wave in the straight one, no?

Try synthetics. Most of the fun and none of the stuff you are feeling.

"Just for fun," you could get a curly synthetic while you are waiting for these to come back from the sheitel macher. You wear fake jewelry sometimes, don't you? Fit is not an issue, you clip the bottom if it's too tight.

chani8

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 6:28 am
Spending a lot of money and then doubting yourself. Makes one's stomach knot up.

Two thoughts:

If you are stuck with that deal, then there is nothing you can do now, so take a lesson from shmiras haloshen, that once a deal is done, you have to compliment not insult.

If you feel it was a big mistake, it's ok to feel bad for a few minutes. Maybe file the memory of that feeling away for next time there is a so-called sale. But then, treat yourself as you would treat your daughter if she made such a mistake, disappointed but accepting of her humanness.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 6:45 am
I know what you mean. I found, all the bargain rules don't work with a sheitel. I bought one which is a bot longer than I want, the other one which is a bit different color, and a third one which is almost as curly as I wanted. In the end I wear my old one which is what I want, and the new ones collect dust.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:59 am
OP Here.

Guess I can only wait until I pick up the Sheitels, and hope I'm happy with them.

The fall is exactly what I wanted, I just hope I'll be happy wearing a fall every day, and that it's not too long for every day, because I wouldn't wear a fall on Shabbos. I'd decided I would buy a full wig and wear it everyday and shabbos, because I don't like how my current fall looks on me at all.

The full shaitel I'm so nervous about! I didn't even see what it looks like washed. I do have a warranty that includes styling, so maybe I can ask them to change hair etc. if there's something I don't like.

It's so difficult for me to spend so much money on a shaitel in general, even if I'd only bought 1! I really needed a new shaitel but have been pushing it off for a few years, going to shaitel machers to try on shaitels and then not buying them because I wasn't 100% sure, and couldn't bear spending the money.

That's why I kinda "jumped into the water" now and went for it, the sale and a few upcoming simchas combined to make me do it.

The worse thing is that now I bought TWO there's no way I can buy a new sheitel again for at least 7 years..

Support, advice, and encouragement please! Hair covering is so difficult!

iluvjerusalem

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 11:14 am
I just had such a similar experience! I've been wanting to replace my weekday shaitl for several months already, as its just something I purchased when I first got married at a gemach for almost nothing - the thing was well worn out ages ago. But we're not in a place right now to be splashing money around at all, so I've just been biding my time and making do with what I have. Well, there was a hannukkah wig sale this week and I decided to go just to see what prices are really like for what I am interested in, and somehow I walked out of there with a purchase - I just couldn't resist! I love the cut and it looks so natural, but one of my goals in finding a shaitel was that it would be a match to my actual hair color. The wig I got is so dark its almost black, and my hair is dark brown. What did I do spending all that money on something that isn't even exactly what I wanted?? But I've been wearing it, and I can't believe the compliments I'm getting, and I do feel very pretty in it and MUCH better than I did in the sheitel that I've replaced, so all in all I think I made the right choice.
Maybe once you get your wigs and start wearing them and the compliments start flowing in, you'll feel much better about your choice also Smile I'm sure you wouldn't have walked out with something that didn't flatter you.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 11:23 am
It isn't, for me.

To each her own.

Gloriosky, enjoy life. If you have the money and that's your thing, enjoy it.

Never second-guess yourself.

It's a MITZVAH. Hiddur mitzvah.

But there's no harm in a bargain.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:52 pm
///The wig I got is so dark its almost black, and my hair is dark brown. What did I do spending all that money on something that isn't even exactly what I wanted??///

maybe consider highlighting it to lighten it up?

iluvjerusalem

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
///The wig I got is so dark its almost black, and my hair is dark brown. What did I do spending all that money on something that isn't even exactly what I wanted??///

maybe consider highlighting it to lighten it up?

I tried googling highlights in black hair and nothing looked the least bit natural. Plus I'm too afraid of messing up this lovely wig by starting a whole bunch of treatments on it - I've heard horror stories of people having to dye several times because it didn't come out quite right the first time. Every treatment lessens the quality of the hair...

In any case, I'm getting used to the color and some people have commented that I look better with the dark color, so for now, I'm happy with what I have Very Happy

black sheep

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:14 pm
I know what it feels like to have buyers remorse Sad
but as far as the new sheitels, you liked them when you bought them, so have some faith in yourself. just FYI, whenever I buy a new sheitel, I am always unhappy at the beginning, either when I get it on sale, or when I buy it full price, exactly what I wanted. it always takes me some time to adjust to the new sheitels. so give yourself time to get used to it, I am sure you will like it after a few weeks.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:29 pm
OP I have a curly shaitel since it's similar to my hair but it take more maintenance since like curly hair it doesn't hold the style forever. I'm very grateful that I also bought a straight sheital so that I have both looks and a sheital without as much maintenance, so now that the $$'s spent I hope you'll enjoy having the variety Smile

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:05 pm
Black Sheep is right. There is always an adjustment process.

Elbowmac

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:29 pm
OP, you sound like me. I walked in to a sheital store to have my straight fall refitted in the cap, and walked out with a custom curly fall. It hurt my wallet for sure. When I got in the car, even I wasn't sure exactly what the sheital machar had said to me to make that sale happen so quickly Confused

It took a while, but now I'm thrilled that I have a curly fall for everyday! I absolutely love it and have long forgiven myself for making such a purchase. Granted, I won't be running out for another custom fall for the next 10 years lol.

It might take some getting used to at first, but I hope you end up enjoying your purchases!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:51 pm
Thank you so much everyone! You're making me feel better!

I'll let you know if I'm happy with them once I actually get them

-OP
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics