Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
App for budgeting/tracking expenses - recommendations?

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:03 am
I really want to try and track our expenses and eventually turn that into a guideline for a budget. What app would be best for that? I really am some one who would prefer to do things on paper and pencil but know that I won't keep it up in case I can't find the notebook one day...

So I want a free, easy to use, app that is good for tracking expenses. Over 200 choices came up when I searched for that so I'd love a recommendation. Thanks!

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:26 am
I use homebudget. I found it easiest to use. I downloaded a bunch and flipped through them. A friend recommended this and I like it best. It lets you set up recurring payments and I find that that is half the battle. then easily add expenses, and also add categories as necessary.
I am also trying to do a David Ramsey type budget and downloaded from online (not app) an excel spreadsheet to help with that. I think the app with the spreadsheet is best.
You can also just do the spreadsheet if you really prefer pen and paper. But I don't do it every time I spend money. I just do it every few days, entering data from my bank account app.

What I'd really love is an app that helps break down receipts into different categories. Now that would be amazing!

frayda

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:04 am
I use google docs, and track everything very carefully on a spreadsheet I made myself. I also have a program called "ynab" which is very good too.

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:47 am
Why I specifically kind of want an app as opposed to a spreadsheet is that I want something I can access on my phone and before I fall asleep or when I'm drinking a coffee I can just plug the info in (unless you use your spreadsheet on your phone?) When I'm on the computer I always have a million other things to do and know I won't get to it.

Is there any way for you to share your spreadsheet or explain how you set it up?

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:08 am
we've been using Mint for a few years now. we're happy with it. desktop version or app.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 11:52 am
I didn't like mint because it didn't have the categories I need. I find zero based budget easier David Ramsey way then ynab.

I got my spreadsheet from here:
Zero based budget hq.com/templates

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:22 pm
Thanks pink and yellow I didn't get a chance to check the app yet (just sitting down now!) and I guess I have to do my hw to find out what the david ramsey approach is. I'll let you know if this is good for my needs

-the girl who doesn't know how to budget Smile

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:28 pm
Tracking and budgeting are two separate things. Don't be held back by the difficulty of budgeting. I found just tracking raised my awareness and helped me cut down on spending.

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:30 pm
Right so for now I just want to track, is that what the app you use is good for? And if the tracking for now helps me make smarter decisions (I don't really need to buy donuts when I'm out, or I'd rather have 2 hours of babysitting than salmon this week etc etc) then I'll be happy.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:32 pm
Yes, and that's exactly what I did. I have one category groceries and one 7-11. By really breaking it down, it helps a lot. Good luck.

busydev

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:25 pm
YNAB (which I LOVE) is for budgeting not tracking, has both desktop and app options that work together but is not free (its $60 and worth every penny IMO) (they do have a 34 day free trail. I was convinced that we were going to buy it after 5 days)

Mint is free and is a tracking software, not so good for budgeting. I didnt like that it wants access to all my accounts (if mint gets hacked then all my accounts are potentially compromised)

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:27 pm
People use YNAB with the Dave Ramsey budgeting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics