Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Can you lain early for bar mitzvah?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:18 am
We won't be able to have our son lain in our shul on his bar mitzvah parsha nor the week after. I know one can lain any parsha after their actual bar mitzvah.

But, is it allowed to lain before the bo bayom? Basically, the week before the bar mitzvah parsha? It's already after the Hanachas tefillin. I didnt think so, but my friend just mentioned that as a possibility.Obviously I will AYLOR but curious if any of you know for sure either way. No assumptions but really know?

Anon because just spoke to friend IRL about this dilemma.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:43 am
Nope.

A boy can only lein for the tzibbur when he becomes a bar mitzvah. Otherwise he can't be yotzei other people.

I've heard of boys leining on the Monday or Thursday before their bar mitzvah shabbos, but they'd already had their actual birthday. Maybe that's what your friend meant?

If you can't do your son's bo bayom (bashavua?) parsha, then pick a convenient week with an easy parsha.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:32 am
A katan can lein maftir/haftarah. Maybe your son can lein those before his bar mitzvah? (Though it seems to me like it lacks the "punch" of leining after the bar mitzvah, which is to demonstrate that he is now part of the tzibur.)

It is not comparable to hanachas tefillin, since the issue with leining is that of being motzi others (as Rutabaga pointed out) and tefillin is a personal mitzvah. (Technically, there should be chinuch in tefillin as we have for other mitzvos, but in practice, we don't do it that way.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics