Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
REIKE? Rav who knows if mutar?

Grateful2bhere

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:25 pm
Does anyone know of a reputable rav who is knowledgeable in halachic parameters of "energy healing" aka Reike? If there is a rav someone knows of who has answered shilahs regarding yoga for instance he may have some answers re this (ie: certain Sanskrit pose names should not be uttered I think for instance, or yoga philosophy is not acceptable, however the practice is totally mutar).

ElTam

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:17 am
AYLOR. But, I asked my rabbi and he said it is 100% ossur. And he says yoga is fine as long as you aren't doing it in a studio that has pictures or statues of gods or chanting non-Torah religious texts.

Grateful2bhere

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:37 am
ElTam wrote:
AYLOR. But, I asked my rabbi and he said it is 100% ossur. And he says yoga is fine as long as you aren't doing it in a studio that has pictures or statues of gods or chanting non-Torah religious texts.

Would I be able to contact your rav? My rav is actually very is interested in finding out more as well & he may want to connect with him if that would be alright. Ironically my rav contacted me today to ask if I had heard anything yet as I thought I might have a lead.
If so would you mind PMing me about it?
Thank you for your response, kol tov

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:44 am
I go to a massage therapist now and then in the reike learning center building... Didn't know what that is and hope its not a problem!

I better find out!

What is reike anyway?

Grateful2bhere

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:54 am
Bitachon101 wrote:
I go to a massage therapist now and then in the reike learning center building... Didn't know what that is and hope its not a problem!

I better find out!

What is reike anyway?

I dont know exactly. It has something to do with "laying the hands" on people to manipulate energy for better balance & circulation... to help remove blockages. Not sure so much but maybe a very intuitive based methodology.
Yoga is fine if, in a nutshell, absent of the philosophy stuff & you know... idols Rolling Eyes ( Smile )So I'm trying to find out if this same kind of separation potential exists in Reiki too.
I'm no rav, obviously, but if it's just a massage that's located in a Reike center, it may be find. Maybe you could even request no Reike.
I once had a massage and the therapist broke out into Reike in the last couple of minutes. I was pretty frustrated. It was a massage the day before my chasuna, she new that I was an orothodox Jew & I was caught off guard and too self-concsoius to say anything... she even blessed me. Oy.
BH I now live in a community where I can access all this stuff from frum peope (in a Kosher Yoga teacher's training certification course) BH the awarenss is growing for natural Integrative ways to better health.
Wikapedia link of Reike definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:16 am
interesting that a rav says it is something assur. I know of a religious couple who both do healing. they are properly frum. I am sure they were not told it is assur. so I am guessing that different rabbanim hold differently.

Grateful2bhere

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:24 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
interesting that a rav says it is something assur. I know of a religious couple who both do healing. they are properly frum. I am sure they were not told it is assur. so I am guessing that different rabbanim hold differently.

Sorry everybody -I (the original poster here) am quoting everybody!)
Is it possible to connect with them or find out who their Rav is who approved it?
A frum reike teacher told me that according to her research it's fine; but I don't think it's so cut and dry. I'm looking for myself as well as for my rav.
Any leads if possible would be greatly appreciated, ty!

CH!

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 6:13 am
See Rav Yitzchak Fenger from Hidabroot- he was a master in Reike and then left it completely after being told that it was assur. Fascinating story!

geshmak

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:09 am
zbys, thank you for that lead. I read his fascinating story (I've read it in the past too).
Regarding Reike: Towards the end of the article it states:
Yitzchak Fanger learned much from his experiences. Today, he is a Haredi rabbi. He is now trying to develop a system that uses some of the basics of reiki, and yet does not call for concentrating on foreign names of god.
I know a heimishe person who does Reike, who told me that he discussed it with 2 Gedolim before he went into the field. Perhaps the way he is doing it (also without concentrating on foreign names of god) he was told that this is the way of healing in the olden days, and what he is doing is not based on avoda zorah.

Learning

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:17 am
zbys wrote:
See Rav Yitzchak Fenger from Hidabroot- he was a master in Reike and then left it completely after being told that it was assur. Fascinating story!

I just saw an add in "shamayim" tel aviv that rav fenger is giving one day seminar about healing.

Grateful2bhere

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:52 am
[quote=
Rav Yitzchak Fanger...

I know a heimishe person who does Reike, who told me that he discussed it with 2 Gedolim before he went into the field. .[/quote]

I tried googling it but no luck - Can any one tell me how to reach Rav Fanger?
Does he speak English & is the Tel Aviv article/publication only in Hebrew?
If anyone might be able to direct me to it, I wouldn't be able to read it but I'd like to send it to my Rav.

And re 2nd post, would it be possible for me to get the contact info of heimishe person who does it/consulted with gedolim?
(my Rav is a choshiv Rosh Kollel from Bayit Vegan who left his roots to do kiruv in the states (learned under Rav Vulbe, Rav Shlomo Aurbach; wrote sefer with Rav Aurbach's haskama etc); very special Rav & would be such a zchus to provide him with info if anyone is able to send anything else, ty!

Last edited by Grateful2bhere on Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

penguin

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:54 am
I know two practitioners of several types of energy healing modalities who looked into Reiki and concluded it was too entwined in Avodah Zorah to extract any benefit. I don't think they discussed it with any Rav, they each arrived at that conclusion independently.

itssimplyme

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:04 am
Reike is basically giving healing. I have a sister who is a healer. She puts her hands on a person and their pain disappears. There is nothing wrong with the healing energy it is just
The "belief" that lies under it. My sister gives healing.

Grateful2bhere

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:08 am
itssimplyme wrote:
Reike is basically giving healing. I have a sister who is a healer. She puts her hands on a person and their pain disappears. There is nothing wrong with the healing energy it is just

That's what I'm hoping to find iyH'. There is such healing in just that - laying of the hands with or without massage. There are "Reike Masters" however, I know of a frum one, and am trying to learn how to clearly discern what's usser from what's mutar if going to a practitioner.
So appreciate your post, thank you - hope to find this kind of approach in a formal setting.

Butterfly

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:17 am
itssimplyme wrote:

If it's not too much info to share, may we know how and where your sister can be contacted?
Does she have a website? TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics