Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Good book on Lubavitcher Rebbee

SivanMom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:19 am
This last year has been a difficult one for our family, and although we are not lubavitch, my husband gained a lot of inspiration and chizuk from the talks by the Lubavitcher Rebbe. He is constantly looking for clips online and showing the ones he finds inspirational to me. I would like to buy him a book about the Rebbe for chanukah, but I don't know which one would be good. I want something inspirational and warm, not just dry facts. Does anyone have any recommendations?

ldg

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:36 am
To Know and To Care is nice stories about the Rebbe and how he cared for everyone.

egam

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:10 am
I heard this one is good

Turning Judaism Outward: A Biography of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the Seventh Lubavitcher Rebbe by Chaim Miller

Turning Judaism Outward

poelmamosh

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:18 am
egam wrote:
I heard this one is good

Turning Judaism Outward: A Biography of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the Seventh Lubavitcher Rebbe by Chaim Miller

Turning Judaism Outward

I didn't like this book much. (I read both this one and Telushkin's when they came out this summer)

DH read this, I think it's a better choice for someone exploring his personal connection to the Rebbe:

My Rebbe by Adin Steinsaltz

abaker

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:25 am
egam wrote:
I heard this one is good

Turning Judaism Outward

I am reading this now and enjoying it very much. It is more of a biography but it's written in an interesting way and not dry facts. To know and to care is a great idea as well.

newmammy

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:49 am
What immediately comes to mind is "Rebbe" by Telushkin, it's a biographical overview about the Rebbe. Many people find it inspiring.

If you want something that has more learning "Torah Studies" by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks is a collection of adaptations of the Rebbe's talks on every parsha.

Two other great books of the Rebbe's teachings are "Towards a Meaningful Life" by Rabbi Simon Jacobson and "Bringing Heaven Down to Earth" by Tzvi Freeman.

There are quite a number of books about the Rebbe on the market, they range from biographies, stories, deep intellectual material, and light learning.
Different people find different things to be the most inspirational to them personally.

You mentioned that your husband enjoys videos of the Rebbe. He may appreciate a subscription to "The Living Torah" by JEM (Jewish Educational Media). It is a weekly video program (about 12 minutes long) of the Rebbe, and includes four segments : a section of a talk by the Rebbe, a clip of a special moment by the Rebbe, an interaction between a person and the Rebbe, and finally someone telling a personal story about the Rebbe.
It is available by DVD as well as on the Living Torah app.

I hope you find the perfect gift.
Your husband and your family should celebrate good things in the coming year.

miri36

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:44 pm
Seeds of wisdom.
In good hands - book of collection of the Rebbe's writings about bitachon. Always a good pick me up when going through a difficult time. I love it.

SivanMom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:59 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
I didn't like this book much. (I read both this one and Telushkin's when they came out this summer)

DH read this, I think it's a better choice for someone exploring his personal connection to the Rebbe:

My Rebbe by Adin Steinsaltz

Did you like Telushkin's?
I didn't realize there would be so many options. I have my research work cut out for me.

poelmamosh

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:23 pm
SivanMom wrote:
Did you like Telushkin's?
I didn't realize there would be so many options. I have my research work cut out for me.

I liked Telushkin's book, but it's journalistic, I don't think it would satisfy someone who is looking for an emotional connection. The other choices - stories, Torah are also good.

shluchamom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:45 pm
Some very good ideas are being given here. I'll add my vote to my rebbe by rabbi adin steinsalz or toward a meaningful life or the living torah subscription but you can also look on jemmedia website and there are various dvds on different topics from the rebbe etc and some are really inspirational if you are not able to do the weekly app subscription but want the digital media idea.

momtra

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 2:53 pm
I enjoyed the Telushkin book immensely. I found it to be inspiring, specifically about how to treat others - Jews and non Jews .

SivanMom

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 7:28 pm
Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to go with the My Rebbe by Adin Steinsaltz book. Meanwhile, I will bookmark this thread so that if he enjoys the book and wants more, I'll have ideas.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 7:53 pm
http://www.alibris.com/booksea.....s.y=0

Wonderful book, as Miri36 said.

Here is Bringing Heaven Down to Earth: (for one dollar!)

http://www.alibris.com/booksea.....s.y=0

This is the JEM page. You can subscribe to the weekly email.

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe.....y.htm

If you want to spend fifty five dollars, "The Scroll" comes weekly by physical mail. I find it really good Shabbos reading:

https://chabadorg.clhosting.or.....l.htm

This JEM, as Newmammy says:

http://www.chabad.org/search/r.....h%22+

Happy2B1

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 8:43 pm
I see you decided on a book.

Question is what kind of book or thing ate you looking for.

I will also suggest the living Torah app. It will give him access to thousands of talks and video clips of everything from children's rallies, lag beomer parades, farbrengens, talks to women, kids, etc as well as Sunday dollars and advice he gave people etc.

It's the gift that will keep on giving every day of the year. Long after he finished the biography books.

He can search by topic too, so if he's looking for inspiration in a certain area he can see what the Rebbe said about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics