Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Preschool parties

israeli83

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:56 pm
My son is having his first preschool Chanuka party next week and moms are invited. I'm just curious what do people do if both parents work? I don't work right now, but I have another child with me at home and the party would be during his nap time. I'm not sure how he'll be awake for the party when I'll have to bring him with me. I also don't want to miss my oldest son's first preschool party. So what do people do?

cbg

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:07 pm
Can you get a babysitter for that time
Or
Maybe you can find another mom in a similar situation, but has her child's party at a different time. Maybe a mom from the older class, or from a different school.

Your son will be very sad if he's the only one without his mommy there.
And even if there are other kids in a similar situation, he"ll feel like the only one.

israeli83

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:21 pm
cbg wrote:
Can you get a babysitter for that time
Or
Maybe you can find another mom in a similar situation, but has her child's party at a different time. Maybe a mom from the older class, or from a different school.

Your son will be very sad if he's the only one without his mommy there.
And even if there are other kids in a similar situation, he"ll feel like the only one.

I'll definitely go to the party since it's my son's first gan party. I'll probably ask my sister-in-law to babysitt or I'll just come with my younger one and hope he won't be too tired. But there will be situations later on that I probably won't be able to go to every party. I'm just wondering what do working moms do? I mean, I'd feel sad missing it for my son knowing that he'd be missing me. It's just annoying that they do these parties in the mornings, but that's the way it is.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:46 pm
israeli83 wrote:
My son is having his first preschool Chanuka party next week and moms are invited. I'm just curious what do people do if both parents work? I don't work right now, but I have another child with me at home and the party would be during his nap time. I'm not sure how he'll be awake for the party when I'll have to bring him with me. I also don't want to miss my oldest son's first preschool party. So what do people do?
One of us takes a few hours off from work (me).

lfab

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:47 pm
I work full time and when my kids have a school party I take time off. Either I leave early (my kids' schools have so far been pretty good about making parties in the afternoon at the end of the school day) or I take the day off. My attitude is that jobs come and go but my kids are mine forever. Family comes first!
Another solution that I have heard some people use is if there is a grandparent or other close relative who lives nearby and is available to go in their place (and have them video tape it so you can watch later). Not quite the same as having mommy there but may be satisfactory for little kids.

morah

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:51 pm
Dh is usually the one to go because he can go to work later and make up for it by staying late. That doesn't work for teachers- I kinda have to be there when my class takes place :-) But this year, it worked out that my school is having a field trip during the time of my preschooler's Chanukkah party, and I just didn't sign up to chaperone, so I can go to the party myself and go to work later. My younger child is in daycare anyway, so I don't have to worry about him. You should definitely get a sitter so you can give your preschooler your undivided attention during whatever activity they have planned.

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 2:38 pm
A baby sibling's nap I say is no big deal to just do without. B"H my child's play is on a non-work day for me so it will be OK this year, but I am concerned and don't understand what other working parents do; both DH and I had to alternate taking days off the whole last week because both kids were sick and it got me really nervous - this is the first time we've both been working with kids in school, and one good virus knocked out about as many days off and favors as we'd ever want to use. And that wasn't extracurricular or anything. (by favors I mean that in addition to sick days that you're technically allowed to take, you still need someone to take over any timely responsibilities. Also, I work by the hour so when I take off I lose money that generally can't be made up at different times)

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 2:53 pm
Someone takes a couple of hours off. From what I've seen, it is not done for a child to have no one show up for him. Anyway, that only happens a couple of times a year... A far bigger issue for working parents is sick kids.

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 3:01 pm
It's only "a couple of hours" if you live right near your kids' school. Just saying.
I agree you just have to do it because the child should have someone there, but it's difficult.
I have seen some schools make their things first thing in the morning so parents can come and then go straight to work, arriving late but then having a reasonably full workday.
My child's school is clearly not one of those; they have scheduled the chanukah play for 12:30 PM. If it had been a workday for me, it *almost* wouldn't make sense for me to go to work at all - I would have to leave right after I'd start, and then by the time I get back it would be almost over.

I guess this is one of the reasons you want a family-friendly career and job as much as possible. But it's not always possible and those are generally not the ones that pay the best in other ways.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 1:10 pm
I discussed this with various parents and yes, sometimes, no one can come Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers