Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
MAGNATILES
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 12:11 am
Any ideas about where to get them? On amazon they are 120 + shipping. I am hoping to get them somewhere for less. My son asks for them every year! Thanks!

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 12:53 am
There are a couple of knockoff brands that are a little less expensive, and on sale a little more often. I think one is supposed to be better quality than the other[s?] but I forget which, while they are in the same price range. Playmags or Stick-n-stack, I believe. Need to talk to more of an expert...

On a related note, what would y'all consider the upper age limit for which magnatiles would be a good gift? I know once they're around even adults play with them, but if you have a family with ages ranging from toddler to 8-ish, and you gave magnatiles as a "one gift for the whole family" would that be a bummer for the 8-year-old or are they still a good age for it?

momx6

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:00 am
We bought playmags last Chanuka. The kids love them, and the quality is great! I would say the age limit would be 7-8. My 7 year old play with them but my 9 year old isn't too interested.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:05 am
I posted this when it was on sale but toys for thought in Lakewood had it on sale for $80 translucent color or solid color on amex small business Saturday but you didn't have to use an amex card it was the sale price. Maybe call them and see if they will still give you the sale price. They are advertising now 20 percent off one item in the bp circular so maybe if you call them they will at least honor that 20 percent off price. It was a very good deal $80 that I just bought my third set I figured for that price its worth it.

And yes it is the original company I would only buy the original and I bought it and have it so for anyone that doesn't believe me it was the original.

Good luck op.

Miri7

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:16 am
seeker wrote:
There are a couple of knockoff brands that are a little less expensive, and on sale a little more often. I think one is supposed to be better quality than the other[s?] but I forget which, while they are in the same price range. Playmags or Stick-n-stack, I believe. Need to talk to more of an expert...

On a related note, what would y'all consider the upper age limit for which magnatiles would be a good gift? I know once they're around even adults play with them, but if you have a family with ages ranging from toddler to 8-ish, and you gave magnatiles as a "one gift for the whole family" would that be a bummer for the 8-year-old or are they still a good age for it?

I think it would be a good "whole family" gift and even the 8 yo will play with them.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:18 am
I have exact ages toddler to 8 year old.
They each love it. The older kids get very creative!

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
I posted this when it was on sale but toys for thought in Lakewood had it on sale for $80 translucent color or solid color on amex small business Saturday but you didn't have to use an amex card it was the sale price. Maybe call them and see if they will still give you the sale price. They are advertising now 20 percent off one item in the bp circular so maybe if you call them they will at least honor that 20 percent off price. It was a very good deal $80 that I just bought my third set I figured for that price its worth it.

And yes it is the original company I would only buy the original and I bought it and have it so for anyone that doesn't believe me it was the original.

Good luck op.

Out of curiosity, what size set was $80? I would not expect them to honor a promotion that already passed if it was such a hot deal, obviously the only way they can afford that is to limit the time. Especially since it was already a couple of weeks ago IIRC. But a 20% off coupon would certainly help considerably with such a pricey item, if it's not excluded.

aussie2

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:55 am
HI,
IF you are interested in a good nockoff.. Playmags is great. I find them to be good quality and my kids throw them etc.. They are not that much cheaper (maybe 30 dollars) so it is still an investment but so far the most used toy in my house so I am happy with my purchase.
Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:46 am
It was 100 pieces for $80.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:54 am
My husband bought our kid Magnatiles (the original ones so I can’t talk about other brands) but I just want to say that there may be an age limit, but everyone loves these things. Friends of mine, childless and in their 50s, played with them at my house and, when they got home, bought them for themselves.

Last edited by Clarissa on Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:54 am
If you live in Israel there's a place in Bucharim Quarter in Jerusalem that sells them for 340NIS

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:24 am
My son is seven, and when I went to the store they told me magformers would be better because he's older, but it doesn't seem like you can build house or buildings easily with them? Does anyone have magformers? Do older boys (8-9) still really like magnatiles?

Karnash

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 12:07 pm
"If you live in Israel there's a place in Bucharim Quarter in Jerusalem that sells them for 340NIS"

Do you have specific info? name? phone?

TIA

sbmom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 4:00 pm
I received Playmags about 3 months ago and the whole family loves it. I got a cute picture of my 11 and 13 year olds playing with it as they were cleaning up my playroom so I definitely think it's good for a family where the oldest child is 8.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 4:04 pm
Karnash wrote:
"If you live in Israel there's a place in Bucharim Quarter in Jerusalem that sells them for 340NIS"

Do you have specific info? name? phone?

TIA

I'm going to try to go there within the next couple of days to buy it for Chanuka. If they still have, I'll get their contact info and post it.

Btw he says it's the original company.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 4:49 pm
I agree that getting it for the family as a whole when the oldest is 8 is very reasonable. They get more creative and build more complex structures. All ages love it. I recently got it as a gift, where the oldest is 10+ and they were thrilled. I bought the stick n stack imitation.
In my house its played with all the time! They don't get bored they get more creative as they play.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
My son is seven, and when I went to the store they told me magformers would be better because he's older, but it doesn't seem like you can build house or buildings easily with them? Does anyone have magformers? Do older boys (8-9) still really like magnatiles?

We have Magformers rather than Magnatiles, but I think they're both terrific.

Magformers get played with by all ages here, from adults down to my grandson who's less than a year old. B"H the pieces are very solid and the magnets are encapsulated securely within the pieces, but they correctly have a CHOKING HAZARD warning on the box. We mostly make complex 3D shapes and patterns here rather than architectural projects, although my granddaughter makes cube and pyramid "buildings" and puts Duplos in them. Over Shabbos she built a 9-story tall pentagonal building/shape out of a pentagon and 40+ squares. She's 2 and a half.

Deep

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:

Huge Magformer fan here. Do you have enough pieces to really build something? The accessories are incredible and provide a world of building possibilities. Go for wheels and the newer gears sets. I'm starting to believe that my 6 year old has a future in engineering.
http://www.amazon.com/Magforme.....L1OIC
http://www.toyjungle.ca/produc.....y-set

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:43 pm
I have magformers and magna tiles. They are both amazing toys. Magna tiles is more to build and then play with for example my kids will build a hotel and use playmobil people and play with it. Magformers is more creative and you build shapes or trucks and cars and or we even have one where you build your own remote control car and it really works.
Also magformers always goes in sale. Never pay full price for t and never buy it in a Jewish store they are always double the price.

I just bought many magformers sets on kohls on cyber Monday for 1/4 the price t is selling on amazon and amazon also prices decrease every so often.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 7:29 pm
I dunno, I personally am not in the market for $1+/apiece toys but I follow a deal website that posts about them due to popularity, and I very rarely see the kinds of prices we saw around Black Friday. The Kohl's deal was an even rarer one; usually Magformers sales are at best $1 per piece for the ordinary pieces. I would aim for $1 per piece if I were looking to buy, unless you are willing to wait and watch for a year to pounce on a deal that might sell out within hours.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics