Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can this sheital be saved?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:51 am
Anon because I was discussing this with my friend tonight.

I got married 10 years ago. At that time I got a custom sheital that I've always hated. I wanted straight hair, the sheital marcher thought I should have wavy, I said no, she gave it to me anyway. And, because I'm a bt and didn't know any better I just took it.

Well, fast forward 10 years later, I've rarely worn it. The cap for some reason is really stretched out - I did have longer when I got married, but it's really big. The hair is really oxidized and needs to be dyed and I still hate the texture.

Can they somehow straighten the hair on a more permanent basis, color it and shrink the cap or is it not worth it? The friend I was talking about it with tonight said her sheital marcher said you can't fix a 10 yo sheital because the hair is too old and dead.

What do you think?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:49 am
bump anyone?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:05 am
it doesn't sound like your friend is a shaitel macher. Perhaps if your shaitel was worn and washed a lot if would be hard to repair now but since it doesn't sound like you got much use out of it I'd say you should certainly show it to a GOOD shaitel macher. I am also married for 10 years and just fixed my shaitel ..(also never loved it) .. I had it colored and cut a little and then blown. It has a new life! I still dont love it, but now it is wearable, before it wasn't. Just make sure you use a very good shaitel macher. good luck!

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
Anon because I was discussing this with my friend tonight.

I got married 10 years ago. At that time I got a custom sheital that I've always hated. I wanted straight hair, the sheital marcher thought I should have wavy, I said no, she gave it to me anyway. And, because I'm a bt and didn't know any better I just took it.

Well, fast forward 10 years later, I've rarely worn it. The cap for some reason is really stretched out - I did have longer when I got married, but it's really big. The hair is really oxidized and needs to be dyed and I still hate the texture.

Can they somehow straighten the hair on a more permanent basis, color it and shrink the cap or is it not worth it? The friend I was talking about it with tonight said her sheital marcher said you can't fix a 10 yo sheital because the hair is too old and dead.

What do you think?

A lot of times sheital machers are not in the business of fixing old sheitals. Can you bring the sheital back to the manufacturer?

1. The cap can be taken in.
2. The hair can be conditioned.
3. I wouldn't chemically alter the hair to straighten it. I would use the wave to blow it out to give it body.
4. It can be colored.
I don't know what you mean by texture of the hair. You can make it appear silky. I don't know how to permanently change the texture.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:59 am
Thanks for responding.

My friend is not a sheital macher but she brought her sheital to one and that is what she was told, but she also wore that sheital out. Mine has rarely seen the outside of my closet.

I can't bring the sheital back, the lady is no longer in business and hasn't been for a few years.

I want to dye it and make it look nice. It just looks frizzy and textured. I either want nice curls or straight silky hair and this is neither. As for the cap, there is a way to make it smaller, but it's not small enough. It seems like it stretched out of shape but I can't figure out how it happened.

I'll call the place that people bring it around here and see what she says. I just don't feel like spending a few hundred dollars for dyeing and blowing and washing (why is it a separate price????) if it's not going to be wearable.

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for responding.

My friend is not a sheital macher but she brought her sheital to one and that is what she was told, but she also wore that sheital out. Mine has rarely seen the outside of my closet.

I can't bring the sheital back, the lady is no longer in business and hasn't been for a few years.

I want to dye it and make it look nice. It just looks frizzy and textured. I either want nice curls or straight silky hair and this is neither. As for the cap, there is a way to make it smaller, but it's not small enough. It seems like it stretched out of shape but I can't figure out how it happened.

I'll call the place that people bring it around here and see what she says. I just don't feel like spending a few hundred dollars for dyeing and blowing and washing (why is it a separate price????) if it's not going to be wearable.

Are you good with your hands? This is a DIY project IMO since you don't want to spend the money and the sheital is already not wearable. What color is it? I would dye the sheital myself. I have done that.

I would give the sheital a major conditioning with a silicon mix. Take a big glump and heat it. Then massage into your sheital. It will be hot. Wrap hot steamy towels around the hair to steam it in. When the towels cool repeat a few times. Then seal it in a bag and let it sit for several days or a week. Rinse and style using spray in conditioners. You can finish with a spray shine. This is what the local sheital machers use.

The silicone mix I use is imported from the Dominican Republic. If your hair is weak use the one with bamboo.

Use heat to style your hair. I use hot rollers and a flat iron and I have achieved glorious straight locks from a nasty worn out sheital.

I got fooled a few times from supposedly reputable sheital manufacturers who sold lovely hair that did not hold up after two washes. I am still in the process of learning to recondition sheitals and have had some success using the above method.

Hatzloucha

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:18 am
Squishy wrote:
Are you good with your hands? This is a DIY project IMO since you don't want to spend the money and the sheital is already not wearable. What color is it? I would dye the sheital myself. I have done that.

I would give the sheital a major conditioning with a silicon mix. Take a big glump and heat it. Then massage into your sheital. It will be hot. Wrap hot steamy towels around the hair to steam it in. When the towels cool repeat a few times. Then seal it in a bag and let it sit for several days or a week. Rinse and style using spray in conditioners. You can finish with a spray shine. This is what the local sheital machers use.

The silicone mix I use is imported from the Dominican Republic. If your hair is weak use the one with bamboo.

Use heat to style your hair. I use hot rollers and a flat iron and I have achieved glorious straight locks from a nasty worn out sheital.

I got fooled a few times from supposedly reputable sheital manufacturers who sold lovely hair that did not hold up after two washes. I am still in the process of learning to recondition sheitals and have had some success using the above method.

Hatzloucha

Sounds good, but I am not at all capable when it comes to doing hair, even my own. My fav. sheital, I literally just wash and let it dry on the head and that's all. I can't do all this other stuff. I would not feel comfortable dying a sheital. What if it dyes the scalp?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:25 am
OP - if you tell us where you are located we might be able to recommend someone.

dhm

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 12:31 pm
If you live in Brooklyn then I have someone that mightbe able to help you. My sheitel marcher also has a wig repair business and is very honest if she thinks she can't help you.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 1:10 pm
Can't you just bring it to Fantastic Sams or Super Cute and leave it there for a few hours so they can dye it and let it air dry on the sheitel head in the back?! They could also probably give it a deep conitioning treatments. I'm NOT a maven on sheitels by any stretch of the imagination but what if you went to an ethnic hair salon that deals with different textured hair? I bet they deal with wigs too.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:06 pm
get some dark elastic & sew it into the inside circumference of the cap ... first measure a piece the size of your head & add an overlap amount

then dye the sheitel following instrucciones on the box of hair dye - a shade you think will suit you ... then condition it when it allows you to

at that point if you're still okay with the new fit & new colour - then have someone blow it or straighten it for you - along with some frizz ease [unless you wish to try that yourself as well - but you didn't sound like you were up to the task]

if you live in cleveland - pm me & I'll try to help you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics