Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Croup cough... what to do????

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:54 am
Ds woke up with a croup cough... Um... I'm totally uneducated here. Someone enlighten me please....!

chani8

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:01 am
Time to go to the doctor. Do you have Mucolit in the home?

I keep an eye on my kids so that I treat any signs of mucous or virus before it turns to croup. I give sambucal, echinacea, arsinicum, Vit C, and something specifically anti-mucous, like mucolit.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:04 am
Don't have anything that sounds like any of that stuff in my house.
Remember my mom turning on hot water in the bathroom when we had croup.
Just tried that for a bit and put him back in bed. Hope he is OK!
Poor kid.

chani8

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:11 am
A little steam isn't enough once it turns to a croupy cough. You need a doctor or a naturalpath.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 7:29 am
If you are in a cold climate, open a window and hold your child near it (warmly dressed) to breath in the cold air. Can also be done with an open freezer. I found it worked better than steamy bathrooms.

mfb

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:59 am
There is something called decadron (dexamethasone in generic frrom) that can be gotten as a prescription from doctors to have in the house since it usually shows up in middle of the night.

SYA

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:52 am
Two kids with croup now. It's viral so no medication for it. What Drs say is steamy hot bathroom for a good few minutes. Really cold air like opening window or freezer. Warm mist humidifier with Vicks near child's bed. They don't take it away but it minimizes it. Found it worst in the evening but by midnight it usually eases a little. Can take a good week for it to run it's course.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 10:47 am
My 6 yo has croup right now.
There is medication for it, oral steroids, but it is usually only given if the child has a really hard time breathing (my oldest had it as a baby and we were given the medicine, but with the option not to use it). I didn't even bring my daughter to the doctor, since she is breathing fine and there is no reason for her to go. Both hot, steamy air and cold (freezer or outdoor) air helps ease the swelling, but it doesn't get rid of the virus. You just have to let it run its course which can take a few days, up to a week.

My daughter does have a fever, though, and it's up to you if you want to treat it if your kids have one, too. I opted not to since she's really in no discomfort. She's not sweaty or shivering. She is not complaining of any pain. She's eating and drinking. She is weak and resting, but we're making sure to keep her hydrated (both with water and tea with lemon to ease her cough), and IY"H it should pass soon!

acccdac

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 10:49 am
how old is your ds?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics