Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
American Girl Dolls: What age?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:07 pm
We are I guess what you'd call modern-yeshivish, but our kids go to a school where the school is very "frummy" but the student body is more mixed - there are kids in the class more modern than us and others more yeshivish. We like it this way.

Anyway a relative gifted an AG doll to each of my girls when they were babies, to be stored until they were old enough to appreciate. Now that it's getting closer I am wondering when that is exactly. We live a modest lifestyle and I think it will be nice for my kids to have something nice and special that other kids have, but I don't want them to be the first ones of their peer group to have the newest nicest thing. We are not the trend-setting type and I don't want to be the one that other kids come home and say "I want something fancy and expensive because Amother's kid has it." We happen to have a lot of toys and things already so they're not deprived meanwhile. They have dolls, but regular ones, and more baby dolls not big-girl dolls.

At what age does it become a "thing" for girls to have American Girl Dolls?

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:23 pm
I don't know when people tend to give them in my neighborhood (my oldest is not quite 5 at the moment), but I have my Kirsten doll in waiting for when I decide she's ready. I'm most likely going to wait until she's 7, for her to be old enough to read and appreciate the books as much as to take proper care of the doll. I wouldn't give it to her younger even if her other friends already had because it's actually really important to me that she understand how special it is.

debsey

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:30 pm
Personally, I think 8 (second or third grade) is the right age. They're old enough to connect to the stories, they have the ability to handle this expensive doll with the respect it deserves (meaning, they're not coloring on the face or giving her a haircut) and they're old enough to appreciate that it is a special gift.

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:51 pm
I got one as gift when my daughter was 7, she was a little too young I found.
I found when she was about 8-8 1/2 starting to appreciate that it's not just a regular doll to be thrown around. As she got older, she appreciated it more and more, until about 12 years old, she outgrew it.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:10 pm
There are so many cheap knockoffs today, and the kids probably don't know the difference, so I wouldn't worry too much about looking showy. I was dying for one from around age six.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 5:54 pm
OP, I really want to commend you for your sensitivity! Around here, have the brand name AG dolls is a BIG thing, and it's very competitive among the girls. I hate it! The materialism and jealousy is just horrible.

11yo DD used to really be into her AG dolls, but after seeing the behavior of other girls with the dolls, she's started to get very turned off by the whole thing.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:01 pm
OP: I think that you'll probably hear about it when it becomes time for her to play it with it. If not from your child, then from your neighbors kids, nieces, or friends (other mothers). Your neighbors or child's classmates may come to play with the dolls. My friend's daughter loved it from 5-7, when most of her friends did not have one (but she did not discuss her dolls with them). I know my neighbors 2 year old has a doll, but that is probably because the older siblings have them.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:49 pm
Around 7-8, though I find it's more valued at 8.
(Dd actually starting mentioning/asking for one at 6 but I didn't even consider it then.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics