Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Hostage situation in Sydney
1  2  Next

morah

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:13 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2.....shop/

Scary! Thinking of our Australian Imamothers- please keep us posted and stay safe!

myself

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 6:39 am
Crying Crying Crying

May all hostages be released healthy and safe!

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 6:54 am
Terrible terrible terrible! Davening that no one gets hurt Sad

luckysunshine

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 6:58 am
It's so incredibly scary .. just read that about 7 people escaped after more than 6 hours being held hostage. I cannot imagine what must be going through the heads of those still inside .. how frightening.

mo5

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 8:14 am
luckysunshine wrote:
It's so incredibly scary .. just read that about 7 people escaped after more than 6 hours being held hostage. I cannot imagine what must be going through the heads of those still inside .. how frightening.

Just for accuracy it was 5 people (pictures of the 2 women leaving are available online)

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 10:02 am
Just saw this terrible news and I'm just shaking....may all the hostages be safely released. I'm davening for all Jews in Australia and everywhere.

I have lots of family in Australia. Stay safe all of you!

myself

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 11:50 am
Any updates on the situation?

morah

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 11:55 am
Yes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12......html

BH, the police stormed the place and killed the gunman. The hostages escaped mostly safely.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 12:25 pm
Any updates on the 4 bombs? Are they really in existence? Have they been located? Neutralized? Etc. etc. I'm assuming that threat had been dealt with otherwise police wouldn't storm the cafe and kill the hostage-taker.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:22 pm
I heard it's a Jewish (?) coffee and all Jewish places are in lock down?

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I heard it's a Jewish (?) coffee and all Jewish places are in lock down?

Um.. It was a regular cafe with a great location near the US consulate as well as other high profile buildings which gained him maximum attention. It makes sense that Jewish businesses would try and be extra cautious, as that is often the response after any threats, but I did not see any reporting from a reliable source of this having anything to do with "Jews." It was a political statement against the West.

myself

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:40 pm
It appears that one hostage was killed and several others are severely injured. Crying

ozi

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:46 pm
Reports of 2 people besides the gunman killed.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lind......html

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 3:22 pm
:-(
How awful.
Jewish places were/are in lockdown because we always feel more vulnerable in times of Islamic terror. But this seems to have been a more "random" (for lack of better word) act which I guess is what terror is all about, the more random the more terrorizing because no place feels safe.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 8:40 pm
If the cafe was a Jewish place, you know there would be NO survivors. Sad

One news commentator made an excellent point. Terrorists tend to target areas that have strict gun control laws or are "gun free zones".

One armed cafe patron could have stopped all of this in just a few seconds.

Rodent

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:11 am
Do NOT make this about gun laws. Ridiculous. Next you'll say that it was a cafe and so the hostages should have slit the guy's throat with a kitchen knife. Just no. Disagree that places with fewer guns are targeted more often, I think it's irrelevant. By that argument there would be no terrorist activity in the US and we all know that's garbage. In fact whilst this whole thing is tragic, there are far fewer gun deaths here period than there are in the US with guns all over the place and I suspect you'll find the same in most other places with few guns. More lax gun laws don't make people safer, more people overall die than when they are harder to obtain. This guy was mentally unstable and a criminal in completely other ways. Whilst he obviously claimed IS affiliations, it's somewhat questionable, he was an attention wh*** at the best of times. Let's be real here, if he was hardcore IS, there would have been beheadings and many more deaths a lot quicker.

And it was not a Jewish cafe. Nor was it anywhere near any Jewish cafe or facility. And there were no bombs.

Oh and I'm fine by the way.

abound

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If the cafe was a Jewish place, you know there would be NO survivors. Sad

One news commentator made an excellent point. Terrorists tend to target areas that have strict gun control laws or are "gun free zones".

One armed cafe patron could have stopped all of this in just a few seconds.

Lots of guns around Israel and there are lots of terrorist activities.

etky

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:37 am
It was so sad to read about the victims, cut down in the prime of life.
I saw a clip of the TV announcer tearing up when she talked about one of the victims, someone she knew, a mother of 3, who had lost her life shielding her pregnant friend.
The cafe manager was killed too, if I understood correctly, in an attempt to take out the terrorist.
What a world...
Yesterday there was a massacre in a school in Pakistan. Entire classes of schoolboys - 141 children and staff - were wiped out by the Taliban.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:40 am
Seems to me the common denominator for making a place prone to terrorism isn't guns but rather Muslim fanatics.

But we can say it's about guns if we feel compelled to be PC.

grace413

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:26 am
Rodent wrote:

Oh and I'm fine by the way.

Actually I did think of you when I heard this but I thought you don't live in Sydney. And Morah posted right away that she was thinking of all Australian imamothers.

Glad you are safe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics