Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A mad hatter and a moral dilemma
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:30 am
http://www.bazach.com/bazach/pics/2808.jpg this is also too dark Sad I know what they look like in real life, but it's hard to find a decent picture online! If FF could start a lower cost line, I think that would be amazing.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:35 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
http://www.bazach.com/bazach/pics/2808.jpg this is also too dark Sad I know what they look like in real life, but it's hard to find a decent picture online! If FF could start a lower cost line, I think that would be amazing.

Ladies! PM me and I'll give you my email address so you can send me pictures of your hats. Or make sketches of what you want.

Do you have any idea how much velvet, silk, and taffeta I have sitting in storage right now? Not to mention crystals, pearls, lace, soutache, and other gorgeous trims.

As a matter of fact, if you send me 1/2 yard of any material, I can make something to match your outfit. I love doing custom work. Can't find that perfect shade of mauve? When you're having your dress made or altered, ask your seamstress for enough to have a hat made. Problem solved!

sky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:41 am
I have a feeling most are black or navy blue. But this may be a create nitch to go into.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:46 am
Er, lulav and esrog need to cost what they cost, and are deeply engaged with halacha.

Not sure this is comparable situation at all to lulav and estrog at all. This is just a hat.

It's not even a streimel, which is deeply steeped in tradition and Chassidishe identity for some.

The wedding hat doesn't have that degree of significance, unless I am wrong.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Greenie, I would happily make hats for people, and at a more reasonable price.

sounds like a lucrative idea & a win/win situation

now we just need a hat to replicate ...

Deep

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:55 am
If someone can guide me as to how, I'd upload a photo of mine.
The newer trend is sort of like a fascinator on steroids...
Black is pretty standard, although many women order custom ones to match a chasunah gown. I've seen all colors of the rainbow.

2gether

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Will someone please post or PM me a few examples of Chassidish hats? Now I'm SO curious!

http://www.kikar.co.il/%D7%A6%......html
the two ladies on the left w/ sheitals sticking out

http://www.bk-hats.co.il/
these are MO, but look at the black hat and the silver blue one after it

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:05 am
FF, the styles change too fast. By the time you'll get a picture and make something like it, you'll find that now something else is in style and nobody will buy the old style. Whether it's shape (remember the four-spliced kappel hats?), the color (this winter the weekday ones need a touch of burgundy in them), or the decor (beading and rhinestones - not so in, now it's more lace). Forget it. The nuances are the key to not being hopelessly out of style, nebach.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
FF, the styles change too fast. By the time you'll get a picture and make something like it, you'll find that now something else is in style and nobody will buy the old style. Whether it's shape (remember the four-spliced kappel hats?), the color (this winter the weekday ones need a touch of burgundy in them), or the decor (beading and rhinestones - not so in, now it's more lace). Forget it. The nuances are the key to not being hopelessly out of style, nebach.

Oh, well, then OP would have had to buy a new one anyway. No loss has occurred.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:15 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Oh, well, then OP would have had to buy a new one anyway. No loss has occurred.

true dat

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:17 am
Wow. Thanks everyone for all your replies!!

Franticfrumie, honestly, many people make these themselves I just don't know which side of a needle to thread... if you can put some together for me I will be so grateful!!!

If someone can tell me how to upload a pic on the android version of imamother I will post pics of my weekday hats.

They are actually headbands with fabric or other materials attached. I wear mine about 9 inches long past the headband piece. The length is the issue here - shorter lengths are easier to find ready off the shelf.

I didn't think you guys would care so much precisely what kind of hat was lost lol.

rae gi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:19 am
Deep wrote:
Black is pretty standard, although many women order custom ones to match a chasunah gown. I've seen all colors of the rainbow.

Great line. Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:28 am
FF, or whoever is interested in going into this line, this is the basic headband you need. You use pretty fabrics and decorations.

Your costs could probably be about $10, excluding labor.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?na.....t=web

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:32 am
Deep wrote:

Um, when I googled fascinator I got some pretty doped up ones... so I'm not sure why you would consider what I'm referring to as a fascinator on steroids. The ones I wear are relatively tame.

Basically, it's a headband with longer piece of fabric in the back. Not mini pillbox hats on a headband...

Can someone share how to upload a picture through the android site?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:34 am
Also, styles dont change that fast. I bought mine in August from the new fall/winter line, and the summery stuff will be coming in Pesach time. So I'll basically have to dig through the leftovers from the current/past season.

SRS

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:43 am
I'm the type that wants to say no problem, I will cover it. But these hats are a fortune. I don't think their job choices should be your concern per se. It doesn't sound like you are rolling in dough either and you only own 2 hats as it is. Compare that to your frugal hat wearing lady who probably has an entire collection of various hats of all shapes and sizes and weights for different seasons that might cost no more than what you paid for 2 hats. I have one hat that gets a lot of compliments that people thought I must have picked up in BP that cost me all of $5 at a mall clearance.

Perhaps just give her a year or two pay it back so your husband and you recover and so they can figure out their budget.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:15 am
HindaRochel wrote:
How was it lost? Was she careless with it, or did she take normal care but something abnormal got in the way.

I would let it go if I could financially, perhaps tell her to donate a small amount to tzeddakah on your behalf?

It disappeared in the shuffle, running to sheitelmacher, makeup, car, hall... she's staying with relatives and they turned thev house over to find it.

The tzedaka suggestion is interesting. I would use my own maaser to forgive her the whole amount, since she is poor enough to qualify for tzedaka, but my husband feels asking for half is fair. I could use the money, myself, too.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:24 am
At least some good will come out of this. FF can start a new second business. Make a ton and go to NY before pesach and do a "trunk show". Of course, you'll need the right PR first to make them a must have

princessleah

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:26 pm
OP, could you try looking at hat makers on Etsy? A lot of people on there have small business that they are trying to get going and would probably charge you less for a custom hat. You could sweeten the deal by telling her you'll refer her to your community!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:34 pm
A friend of mine came from Eretz Yisroel for a family wedding. She's not chassidish but does not wear a sheitel. All week she wore a chenille snood.

For the wedding, she took a piece of lace that she had cut into a headband, and put it around her snood. She looked quite elegant, in my opinion.

I am not so fashion-conscious that I must wear the latest style. If I needed to cover my sheitel, I would just buy a pretty piece of lace or satin, sew or glue on a couple of decorations, and make a wide headband.

I just don't get people agreeing to be hostage to outrageously expensive items, whether sheitel, hat or anything else.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics