Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Would you hire/pay someone to organize your home?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 2:24 am
Would you pay someone, like a professional, to come and organize your home. make it clutter free, aesthetically pleasing, things like that?
And I dont mean for the few things left on the table all week. I mean a big clean up job, to reshape your home life.
I am anonymous because I was thinkling about looking into this as a job.
Can you also state where you are. That would make a difference. (as in what state and / or country you are in)

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 2:34 am
I would love that. Antwerp, Belgium

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 2:38 am
amother wrote:
Would you pay someone, like a professional, to come and organize your home. make it clutter free, aesthetically pleasing, things like that?
And I dont mean for the few things left on the table all week. I mean a big clean up job, to reshape your home life.
I am anonymous because I was thinkling about looking into this as a job.
Can you also state where you are. That would make a difference. (as in what state and / or country you are in)

Yes! I am the ADD mother that posted a week or two ago about the dilemma of whether to get a cleaning lady. I would love to have someone come and organize my house. I think that it would help me a lot. It would obviously depend on the cost involved. I live in Israel.

-anon b/c I am embarrassed. Always tried to keep the ADD under "wraps", denied it and succeeded (excelled) in scholastic settings. Now, as a housewife, it came back to haunt me and I feel like a failure.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 2:41 am
amother wrote:
Yes! I am the ADD mother that posted a week or two ago about the dilemma of whether to get a cleaning lady. I would love to have someone come and organize my house. I think that it would help me a lot. It would obviously depend on the cost involved. I live in Israel.

-anon b/c I am embarrassed. Always tried to keep the ADD under "wraps", denied it and succeeded (excelled) in scholastic settings. Now, as a housewife, it came back to haunt me and I feel like a failure.
Thanks for being so honest. And I live in Israel too (I am the OP). I really wonder if something like this could take off as a job or a side job, here in Israel.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:20 am
It is a profession so definitely if the entrepreneur is qualified and does good marketing why not I'm in the U.S. so I guess you can't help me otherwise I'd say come on over !!

Dev80

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:27 am
I live in Israel, it's something I need but don't have the extra $$ for right now (well maybe I do, depending what it would cost). We do have space but just not sure how to use it. Also, we are not handy so any shelves or hooks to be put up we'd need to have a handyman come and do it so I think that's also part of why I haven't gotten organizing under wraps but if some one would tell me 'this is where this goes' that would be super cool.

I think at this life stage I'd benefit more from an organizer than a cleaning lady, so I probably would put my money there but again depends on cost/commitment, etc.

A job like this I can't imagine has a huge initial financial outlay, is it something you could try and see?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:30 am
Dev80 wrote:
I live in Israel, it's something I need but don't have the extra $$ for right now (well maybe I do, depending what it would cost). We do have space but just not sure how to use it. Also, we are not handy so any shelves or hooks to be put up we'd need to have a handyman come and do it so I think that's also part of why I haven't gotten organizing under wraps but if some one would tell me 'this is where this goes' that would be super cool.

I think at this life stage I'd benefit more from an organizer than a cleaning lady, so I probably would put my money there but again depends on cost/commitment, etc.

A job like this I can't imagine has a huge initial financial outlay, is it something you could try and see?
Thats what Im doing, asking here Wink trying to see if there is a want/need for this.
in terms of how to go about starting something like this, this was just my initial crowd sourcing to see if this is even something that people would pay for.

Dev80

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:31 am
got it, well happy to be part of the 'survey'.

I would also assume people who need home organizing may have to be 'chased' a bit. I know I'm the type that would maybe call some one to organize my home, find out prices rates etc and then wouldn't necessarily follow up b/c it's not top priority but would potentially appreciate one friendly follow up call/email to see if I'd want to get started b/c hey...I'm not so organized Wink

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:35 am
amother wrote:
Thats what Im doing, asking here Wink trying to see if there is a want/need for this.
in terms of how to go about starting something like this, this was just my initial crowd sourcing to see if this is even something that people would pay for.

It would also depend on your area. Israelis are much less likely to pay for something like this. Most of them have much less "stuff" than Americans. They naturally don't have as much clutter. They would probably rather spend the money for a heavy duty sponga and bathrooms!

For Americans, this service could be very sought after (obviously depending on your price). It's hard living in small space when you didn't grow up like that!

--ADD mom

Dev80

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:38 am
Totally agree with ADD mom (sorry to call you that), the israelis I know are SO good at home organizing, their houses are spotless!!! When we go away for shabbos and stay in apt's I'm SO impressed by how clean it is, no clutter, no dust, nothing out of place... I wish! I'm trying to be better at just getting rid of things since I'm always so inspired when I see this

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:51 am
amother wrote:
It would also depend on your area. Israelis are much less likely to pay for something like this. Most of them have much less "stuff" than Americans. They naturally don't have as much clutter. They would probably rather spend the money for a heavy duty sponga and bathrooms!

For Americans, this service could be very sought after (obviously depending on your price). It's hard living in small space when you didn't grow up like that!

--ADD mom
Do you mean where I live? I would be coming to your home, so what would it matter what area I am in.
Such services are for people in apartments, in houses, in offices, things like that. Not just small spaces, but too much stuff in the space you haev it in.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:53 am
Yes! If I can afford it. I would also need occasional maintenance calls too.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:55 am
It is a real career. A year ago I could have totally used a home organizer but my mil is extremely organized and she gave me really good tips last year. I've been doing most of them but I could be doing better. If you had asked a year ago I would have offered to be your first client.

Why not advertise and see how far it goes. Network, post on facebook. Good luck!

smilingmom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:12 am
I recently hired a cleaning lady and she does that as part of her job.
She goes through the fridge and freezer and puts todays date on every container. Then throws out all the cooked food that is in the fridge for more than two weeks. She organizes the closets and all the cabinets. Puts the unknowns (usually grandkids stuff) into individual bins.

I have her twice a week and I can't imagine that someone can do the job and not do a weekly maintenance. Maybe I am too much of a slob to not have constant upkeep,but I guess there are people who can upkeep, once it is done.

vicki

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:21 am
I would LOVE to hire someone to organize my home in a cute organized way. Cololful bins. Clever space-saving designs. I am so unimaginative - though I am pretty clean.
But I would never, ever hire someone to do it for me. That's admitting defeat.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:43 am
There are already a number of people working in this field in Israel.
Makor Rishon recently ran a big article about this professsion in their weekend magazine, Motzash, in honor of Shabbat Irgun (Nov. 27th, if you want to look it up on FB).
Some specialize in 'making seder' in people's homes (usually women with demanding careers) while others will organize your paperwork for you and set up a system to keep you organized. I found it interesting that the latter service had found a niche among fresh widows whose husbands had always taken care of the paperwork and who were now clueless about how to manage all the bills and statements.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:37 am
I'm in NYC and professional organizers are definitely a thing here. Not on a regular basis, but big jobs at a time. I got an organizer when I moved- she came before to help me pare down while packing, and then after to unpack and find a place for everything. I'm a bit of a slob, so I have her come back once a year to get me back on track. There are definitely people who use this service.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:43 am
yes and no.

I would love that, I think it's SO worth the money, but I don't HAVE the money.

if I did, yes I would!!

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:44 am
I would definitely hire one. I have in the past hired a woman to do something like this. She cleared out my whole garage for me which was a big mess. She also took away all the rubbish which is a big pain round here. She wasn't a professional but did a great job.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:17 am
Professional organizers do more than just rid homes of clutter. They also:

Downsize when retirees move to smaller apartments

Organize offices and businesses

Organize classrooms

Help hoarders

I think that those homeowners who hire a professional organizer are often full time working women whose clutter needs to be weeded out and they don't have time to do it by themselves.

For those who are home full time and do have the time, there are millions of ideas online.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics