Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Would you hire/pay someone to organize your home?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

etky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:24 am
southernbubby wrote:
Professional organizers do more than just rid homes of clutter. They also:

Downsize when retirees move to smaller apartments

Organize offices and businesses

Organize classrooms

Help hoarders

I think that those homeowners who hire a professional organizer are often full time working women whose clutter needs to be weeded out and they don't have time to do it by themselves.

For those who are home full time and do have the time, there are millions of ideas online.

Yes, this was also mentioned in the Motzash article as a major niche for professional organizers.

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:27 am
I have paid someone to do this for me. I'm in Monsey and I understand there are several women here who do this as a business.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:32 am
Maya wrote:
I have paid someone to do this for me. I'm in Monsey and I understand there are several women here who do this as a business.

Who in Monsey does that? Would you mind sharing? I could definitely use one!

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
Who in Monsey does that? Would you mind sharing? I could definitely use one!

You can PM me and I'll give you her name and phone number.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:12 am
Maya wrote:
You can PM me and I'll give you her name and phone number.

OK thanks

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:03 am
OP, since you're looking into this as a job, I'll tell you a little bit about it. My aunt went into the organizing business 20+ years ago. She only moves the extremely wealthy and no move and/or organizing can come out under $20,000, with her average being around 80,000-120,000. That of course includes the 10+ employees she has who are all paid decent salaries as well as the moving company. It takes her 2-4 days to move an organize a home. If you just want organization it takes about the same amount of time because she packs and unpacks everything anyways because it is the most efficient way to organize. She has insurance. She has to do background checks on all employees (many are college kids, but others are just adults looking for a decent paid salary). I worked with her for one summer. Everyone said I would quit after the first day, but I did not. It was HARD work, but she makes a very pretty penny from the job. Obviously you do not have that market in the "frum" clientele, so you will not have the same responsibilities, but you'll also be paid less, but you'll have to work just as hard. Also, she has seen all different crazy things (a woman with only white furniture who never wore pads or tampons when on her period and had her cleaning lady scrub the house... a man who purchased a home with a 20 foot painting of Hitler yemach shemo in the basement - her client did not know ,etc. etc.) She works like a dog all summer, and has long hours and long days. She has to supervise everything and rarely gets to go on vacation. She has to promote herself like crazy (she is only word of mouth), and she has also developed great relationships with clients (not every client is always happy though, so be prepared for that too). You sometimes wake up at 5am to get to a job by 6:30 and can stay until 8 or 9pm. I don't know specifically what you're looking into, but just make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew. GOOD LUCK!

Shoshbee

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:03 pm
The wonderful Aura Wolfe in the Old City (Jerusalem) does this.
http://www.amazingspace.co.il/

She has an amazing eye for space, detail and order.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:08 pm
I hired a woman last year, and now I need it again.

Last year we paid $25 an hour. I found someone who will do it for $20 an hour, minimum five hours. I just have to find the time to call her.

Brooklyn, New York.

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
I hired a woman last year, and now I need it again.

Last year we paid $25 an hour. I found someone who will do it for $20 an hour, minimum five hours. I just have to find the time to call her.

Brooklyn, New York.

Wow, that's a good price. The woman I hired charged $50 an hour, with a minimum of three hours at a time.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:03 pm
I need someone to do this for me, but I wouldn't pay more than NIS 50 an hour.

The next time we move, I would like to hire someone to help me pack and unpack.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
Do you mean where I live? I would be coming to your home, so what would it matter what area I am in.
Such services are for people in apartments, in houses, in offices, things like that. Not just small spaces, but too much stuff in the space you haev it in.

Then, I assuming you have a car. If not, I would only recommend starting if you have Anglos in your area b/c of what I said about Israelis.
All spaces here are relatively "small" when compared to America. Ex. a 3 bedroom apt. is normal for a family w/ a lot of kids, while in many parts of America, a house is normal. The space itself might not be a machsan, but it's definitely going to be much smaller than what an American is used to.

-ADD mom (lol-never thought I'd admit it!)

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
I need someone to do this for me, but I wouldn't pay more than NIS 50 an hour.

The next time we move, I would like to hire someone to help me pack and unpack.

I think I heard of someone who does personal organizing for 100 shekel per hr. I am assuming this is the going rate. (But, I don't know anyone else, so maybe not.) Amother will be new, so I am assuming if she starts she'll be cheaper. "An organized amother" maybe you can give an imamother discount and we can act as your PR.

Bruria

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:19 pm
I would totally hire someone to organize my house, as I have hired this type of service in the past.
I live in NY.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:19 pm
nopes ~

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:02 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
OP, since you're looking into this as a job, I'll tell you a little bit about it. My aunt went into the organizing business 20+ years ago. She only moves the extremely wealthy and no move and/or organizing can come out under $20,000, with her average being around 80,000-120,000. That of course includes the 10+ employees she has who are all paid decent salaries as well as the moving company. It takes her 2-4 days to move an organize a home. If you just want organization it takes about the same amount of time because she packs and unpacks everything anyways because it is the most efficient way to organize. She has insurance. She has to do background checks on all employees (many are college kids, but others are just adults looking for a decent paid salary). I worked with her for one summer. Everyone said I would quit after the first day, but I did not. It was HARD work, but she makes a very pretty penny from the job. Obviously you do not have that market in the "frum" clientele, so you will not have the same responsibilities, but you'll also be paid less, but you'll have to work just as hard. Also, she has seen all different crazy things (a woman with only white furniture who never wore pads or tampons when on her period and had her cleaning lady scrub the house... a man who purchased a home with a 20 foot painting of Hitler yemach shemo in the basement - her client did not know ,etc. etc.) She works like a dog all summer, and has long hours and long days. She has to supervise everything and rarely gets to go on vacation. She has to promote herself like crazy (she is only word of mouth), and she has also developed great relationships with clients (not every client is always happy though, so be prepared for that too). You sometimes wake up at 5am to get to a job by 6:30 and can stay until 8 or 9pm. I don't know specifically what you're looking into, but just make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew. GOOD LUCK!
What you are talking about is not at all what I am talking about (Im the OP) Im not talking about moving people. I am talking about organizing their homes. And the amounts that you are talking about, in prices, are nowhere what I was talking about.
Very different to what I was envisioning, but thank you.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
Then, I assuming you have a car. If not, I would only recommend starting if you have Anglos in your area b/c of what I said about Israelis.
All spaces here are relatively "small" when compared to America. Ex. a 3 bedroom apt. is normal for a family w/ a lot of kids, while in many parts of America, a house is normal. The space itself might not be a machsan, but it's definitely going to be much smaller than what an American is used to.

-ADD mom (lol-never thought I'd admit it!)
Yes I do have a car. I also live in a place where most people live in houses, not apartments. But I understand what you mean about space. Thats what gave me the idea in the first place.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:42 pm
I wouldn't. One, because it's not something I would prioritize in terms of what I spend my money on. Two, because I'm not disorganized enough that I feel I need someone else to do this for me. Three, because I'm a private person and I wouldn't want someone else going through our stuff.

rachel91

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 3:56 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I wouldn't. One, because it's not something I would prioritize in terms of what I spend my money on. Two, because I'm not disorganized enough that I feel I need someone else to do this for me. Three, because I'm a private person and I wouldn't want someone else going through our stuff.

Exactly my thoughts!!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 4:03 pm
I would say that my neighborhood was flooded several months ago and one of my mechutanim (we were still in sheva brachas at the time!) came and helped me throw out stuff. She is one of those extremely organized types that don't have to deliberate for several hours about each item that needs to go out with the trash so it went much faster with her there. Also, she was neutral to the stuff being thrown out and had no attachment to it so by seeing the stuff through her eyes, I was able to say goodbye to the stuff and not delay the process. The demolition people were coming and this had to be done.

I would say to all those who don't see themselves hiring someone, while it is not for everybody, you never know when you might have to consider it; may it only be for happy occasions!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 4:03 pm
Yes, I would hire someone for it...I did a few months ago.

They helped me organize my kids clothes.

I live in England.

I think it may be more popular as a business outside of Israel, but you never know till you try!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics