Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
$50 just for a consultation???
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:05 am
I moved out of NY and I am in the market for a wig. I called a local shaitelmacher who sells a big NY brand and asked to come in and see some wigs and what she can offer me.

They told me that they charge $50 just to come in and talk to her but if I buy a wig it goes towards the cost of the wig.

I was really surprised. This is not a service industry. I am not paying to receive her service, I am paying to receive a wig. It's not like a lawyer or an accountant that I am paying for their expertise and time. I am looking for a product. If she can provide that product then she gets my business, if she can't then I look elsewhere.

I found it very odd. The only thing I can think of is that she had lots of customers who took her time and never bought anything so she is trying to deter that from happening. The problem is that it deters potential customers from ever walking through her door.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:06 am
RUN!

nyer1

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:07 am
I find it very odd also. go elsewhere.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:13 am
Thanks, I thought maybe I was missing something and I am being unreasonable but it's nice to know that others found it just as odd.

its a shame cause this company is running a huge chanuka sale and this woman is the only retailer where I live.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:17 am
find a different sheitel macher. They are a dime a dozen in ny.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:19 am
sounds like someone taking advantage of a need - when you go shopping in a store there is no entry fee

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
find a different sheitel macher. They are a dime a dozen in ny.

I don't live there anymore. I assume she is taking advantage because she is the only person who sells this brand here.

I guess I'll just buy something else. Her loss.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:22 am
That is just so low...... I would go elsewhere.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:23 am
Think my sheitel consultation was 150, also OOT. It is not uncommon for people here to charge that amount and then apply it to the cost of your sheitel. It's insane.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Think my sheitel consultation was 150, also OOT. It is not uncommon for people here to charge that amount and then apply it to the cost of your sheitel. It's insane.

can you explain this?

I am the OP. I am originally from NY. If a shaitelmacher would charge a fee just to meet with her they would get laughed across the Brooklyn Bridge.

I just don't get it. What if I don't like her styles or she can't do what I am asking? I just lose my consultation fee?

I am spending over a thousand dollars for a product. I have the right to consider carefully what I am looking for.

I guess I will have to go to NY if I want to buy a wig.

questioner

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:32 am
I've heard of a sheitel macher in Lakewood charging $100? for a consultation.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
I am spending over a thousand dollars for a product. I have the right to consider carefully what I am looking for.

Of course you do, and no one is telling you otherwise, but know that there may be a cost to that. She also has a right to be compensated for her time, skill and expertise. Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this? It seems entirely reasonable to me.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:44 am
5*Mom wrote:
Of course you do, and no one is telling you otherwise, but know that there may be a cost to that. She also has a right to be compensated for her time, skill and expertise. Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this? It seems entirely reasonable to me.

I agree that if you spend time with the shaitel macher herself a consultation fee sounds acceptable, but is that what OP is doing? I thought she is just going to go into the salon and look around at different options without using any of the woman's time.

If she is going to receive help trying and choosing than it is fair to charge for a consult, even if it is not the norm in NY.

Barbara

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
I moved out of NY and I am in the market for a wig. I called a local shaitelmacher who sells a big NY brand and asked to come in and see some wigs and what she can offer me.

They told me that they charge $50 just to come in and talk to her but if I buy a wig it goes towards the cost of the wig.

I was really surprised. This is not a service industry. I am not paying to receive her service, I am paying to receive a wig. It's not like a lawyer or an accountant that I am paying for their expertise and time. I am looking for a product. If she can provide that product then she gets my business, if she can't then I look elsewhere.

I found it very odd. The only thing I can think of is that she had lots of customers who took her time and never bought anything so she is trying to deter that from happening. The problem is that it deters potential customers from ever walking through her door.

I get it.

People come to her because she's local. Look at the various styles of wigs. Try things on. Take an hour or more of her time. Say, "I'm going to think about it." Call the stores in New York to get a better price on the same wig, without worries that they won't like it. After all, they tried it on!

So the $50 isn't a "consultation fee." It's a "if you're going to buy it somewhere else, gezunte hey." (The only Yiddish I know!). "But don't waste my time picking it out so you can buy it elsewhere."

sky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:48 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I agree that if you spend time with the shaitel macher herself a consultation fee sounds acceptable, but is that what OP is doing? I thought she is just going to go into the salon and look around at different options without using any of the woman's time.

If she is going to receive help trying and choosing than it is fair to charge for a consult, even if it is not the norm in NY.

typically out of town there aren't so many pieces, and there isn't normally pieces to just browse through.

I'm assuming the store owner would ask for her color and size. Order a few pieces. Try them on her head. Advice her. If none work Order more pieces and setup another appt and repeat until the correct piece is found.

You are really paying her for her time and if you order from her that will be applied to what you buy.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:50 am
sky wrote:
typically out of town there aren't so many pieces, and there isn't normally pieces to just browse through.

I'm assuming the store owner would ask for her color and size. Order a few pieces. Try them on her head. Advice her. If none work Order more pieces and setup another appt and repeat until the correct piece is found.

You are really paying her for her time and if you order from her that will be applied to what you buy.

Then it is very fair to pay a consultation fee.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:57 am
Barbara wrote:
I get it.

People come to her because she's local. Look at the various styles of wigs. Try things on. Take an hour or more of her time. Say, "I'm going to think about it." Call the stores in New York to get a better price on the same wig, without worries that they won't like it. After all, they tried it on!

So the $50 isn't a "consultation fee." It's a "if you're going to buy it somewhere else, gezunte hey." (The only Yiddish I know!). "But don't waste my time picking it out so you can buy it elsewhere."

I was thinking that may be the case but it doesn't really work like that with wigs. Each piece is handmade with slightly different hair from different people. So two Rikky Style wigs by Shevy (made up name) will fit differently.

However it is true there is way more choice in NY. I always buy my wigs in NY since I find the choice in OOT places is way less. (and cost often higher)

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:06 pm
Barbara wrote:
It's a "if you're going to buy it somewhere else, gezunte hey." (The only Yiddish I know!).

gezunte heit ~ you had better brush up on your yiddish Twisted Evil

Barbara wrote:
"But don't waste my time picking it out so you can buy it elsewhere."

you might have a point there ...

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:09 pm
I view it as a store.

the sales people are there to help you, perhaps order something in if they don't have it.

why would I pay for this? that is part of the retail industry.

I guess she must really have been burned in the past.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:17 pm
I'm assuming consultation means more than just looking around and trying things on. She probably schedules an appointment so she can give you one on one attention, and helps you figure out what would work best for you in terms of cut, color, style, etc; explains in detail the difference between different brands/lines/shaitel lingo. That kind of thing. I don't think it's so strange.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics