Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you consider Fuschia a refined color?
1  2  3  Next

Do you consider fuschia refined?
Yes  
 45%  [ 38 ]
No  
 54%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 83

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:09 pm
We try to adhere to a yeshivish standard. Anything I read in Rabbi Falk's book, I compare to what I know and analyze myself, since I know some of his standards are not ours. I saw that he's not in favor of fuschia, he considers it too close to red (which we don't wear in large amounts). And I was inclined to think, maybe I would agree.

But then I recently saw a friend wearing an entire garment of fuschia. This is a woman who is the epitome of the old-fashioned standard of tznius, eschewing human hair sheitels.

When a saleswoman saw she was hesitating regarding a new garment, the woman said, "But, it's the very latest style!"

"Well," said my friend, "then I wouldn't dream of buying it!"

So I'm thinking, if she wears fuschia, it really must be fine. Why would I think otherwise? (Of course, it may depend on the depth of the shade. Hot pink? Magenta?)

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:20 pm
No. Fuschia is not a refined color. It is too loud. Nothing to do with yeshivish or R' F.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:23 pm
I would not wear hot pink. What shade of pink is fuchsia?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:25 pm
She may be color blind... Wink

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:30 pm
This I would call hot pink:
This I think I would call magenta

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:40 pm
I wouldn't call it refined (refined is a description I'd reserve for the pastel color family) but I definitely think it is tznius and beautiful. I am wearing that color right now, as a matter of fact.

As with everything else... it still has to follow the other guidelines.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:42 pm
I would wear it as an accent color, as long as it made up a minority of the pattern. Same with hot pink or burgundy. I would never wear a whole garment that was such a bright shade.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:54 pm
Fuschia is eye-catching.

If you wear a morsel of it, don't be under thirty and don't be awfully right-wing. Unless you want to be eye-catching, but then you aren't right-wing.

However magenta isn't eye-catching. It's nice. Wear it all you want at any age.

My humble opine.

Even secular women have to handle fuschia with care, or they risk looking ridiculous. It is very high-fashion.

It is a dark shade of shocking-pink.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:56 pm
I love fuchsia; it's one of my favorite colors. I don't believe a color can be "refined" or "not refined" any more than a fabric or a flavor can be. A color is merely a color. It's all in how you use it.

That being said, fuchsia head-to-toe is usually too much of a good thing on a woman of a certain age. I would absolutely wear a suit with a fuchsia blouse or a fuchsia jacket over a dark dress, though probably not if I were visiting Jewish Brooklyn or a place of that ilk. Also, everything else I'd wear would be of the very simplest; stark, even. No sparkly stuff, minimal jewelry, plain pumps, an inconspicuous hat. No frills and furbelows when you're wearing such a vivid color unless you want to look like a clown. The same holds true for any other brilliant color like lime green or bright yellow. You need to know how much is too much, and you need to balance it by making everything else very neutral and plain.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:25 pm
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Fuchsias — the color fuchsia is the hot pink, not the purple.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:40 pm
I wear fuchsia but I have once gotten a negative comment about it being untznius.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
I love fuchsia; it's one of my favorite colors. I don't believe a color can be "refined" or "not refined" any more than a fabric or a flavor can be. A color is merely a color. It's all in how you use it.

This.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:33 pm
Love the color. I own lots of bright colored clothing. it makes me happy.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
We try to adhere to a yeshivish standard. Anything I read in Rabbi Falk's book, I compare to what I know and analyze myself, since I know some of his standards are not ours. I saw that he's not in favor of fuschia, he considers it too close to red (which we don't wear in large amounts). And I was inclined to think, maybe I would agree.

why are you using him as your standard if he is more stringent than you? how does that help you?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:38 pm
Bright color is wonderful in private, perhaps very private.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:

But then I recently saw a friend wearing an entire garment of fuschia. This is a woman who is the epitome of the old-fashioned standard of tznius, eschewing human hair sheitels.

When a saleswoman saw she was hesitating regarding a new garment, the woman said, "But, it's the very latest style!"

"Well," said my friend, "then I wouldn't dream of buying it!"

So I'm thinking, if she wears fuschia, it really must be fine. Why would I think otherwise? (Of course, it may depend on the depth of the shade. Hot pink? Magenta?)

1. Fuchsia is sometimes ok, sometimes not. It depends more on the style than the color.
2. "Old fashioned" clothing came in fuchsia. Even the frummest used to wear colorful garments because that was what everyone did so it did not attract attention. Wearing a multi colored polka dotted top in the middle of women wearing all black may attract attention so that it why some women choose not. Fuchsia is a very commonly seen color and does not attract extra attention IMO. Again, I believe everything depends on the style and the message.

debsey

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 11:50 pm
As an accent color, it's fine. But a little goes a LONG way.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:28 am
I personally wear fuschia. Colors in the red/pink/purple family are usually really flattering for my coloring. I used to own a lovely fuschia colored Shabbos skirt (before having kids) and it looked really nice with a white or black shirt.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:06 am
For reasons I've never understood (someone please explain this to me), many people look to the Queen of England as the arbiter of tznua clothing. I read all the time on these boards: "Would the Queen of England wear denim/yoga pants/sweatshirts/bandanas? Of course not! And you are a bas melech, therefore you shouldn't either. "

In that vein, I will post this photo:

etky

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:38 am
I don't see refined/unrefined as inhering in the same semantic field as color.
I do think though that one has to be cautious with fuschia. It is sometimes overwhelming on a sensory level because it can be very saturated. In small amounts it can be stunning. I love it with black. Very art-deco.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics