Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Article: How Chabad could change American Judaism

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:21 pm
http://www.jewishjournal.com/r.....hange

This basically calls Chabad the religious wild card.

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:58 pm
Interesting analysis and completely accurate, IMHO.

I can't begin to count the number of people I know whose first encounter with Torah observance was through Chabad. Many of those people don't cite Chabad as a primary actor in their journey, but that first positive impression broke down a wall that other kiruv groups couldn't have breached.

In addition to the points made by the author, I would add that I see Chabad playing an increasingly important role in "inreach" within the observant Jewish community.

Young adults who have become alienated in Jewish schools can ask any question of a Chabad rabbi without censure and find a more tolerant, inclusive atmosphere in which their spiritual growth is of more interest than their identification with a particular group. I know a number of people who grew up in totally frum homes, but became committed to Torah and Yiddishkeit only after experiencing Chabad.

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:01 pm
Very interesting.

The vision of the author kind of reminds me of EY, or at least how it used to be, where people may be mostly secular, but when they look for a rabbi or a shul, they prefer the authenticity of a frum one.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:08 pm
Sounds cool.

Just talk to Ruchel about the great, eternal, sacred, engraved-in-stone quality of post WW II American Judaism. Not.

Jews are always re-struggling and re-attaching, and re-doing, their Judaism, looking past the surface stuff of their day, to the inner core golden threads that are indeed eternal.

That's fine.

Nice post, Southern Bubby!

As we lit last night, we reflected what we owe the Rebbe. Everything.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:13 pm
That doesn't mean everybody should be Chabad. There are lots of ways to be Torah observant. Let there be even more.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:17 pm
Interesting article, although I do not totally agree with it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:22 pm
Well, in the town of Eli, a yishuv in the Shomron that I have posted about, the townspeople have some say about those who move in. They don't want hard core Hereidim, and they don't want too many seculars, but they don't object to Chabad.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:24 pm
imasinger wrote:
Very interesting.

The vision of the author kind of reminds me of EY, or at least how it used to be, where people may be mostly secular, but when they look for a rabbi or a shul, they prefer the authenticity of a frum one.

Europe is that way- though the non Orthodox are slowly invading, r'l, and it starts causing the very same problems of who is Jewish, conversions, dad is Jewish...

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Europe is that way- though the non Orthodox are slowly invading, r'l, and it starts causing the very same problems of who is Jewish, conversions, dad is Jewish...

Not just Europe, but many other people look to Orthodox. I remember when I was in South Africa that basically everyone attended the Orthodox Synagogue (although there was a reform), but the community was very very unified and generally around Orthodox. They didn't feel pressured to be Orthodox, but prayed in an Orthodox shul, and celebrated weddings/burials in an Orthodox fashion, etc. That is not so uncommon, even in the US. Many people like Chabad because they made them feel good, but often belong to a reform or conservative congregation as a business/political statement. I'm not sure if that is the case for everyone, but is what I experienced. Again, I'm referring to a specific group of secular Jews, so really it is not all encompassing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics