Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn cold hands

amother1223

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:00 pm
baby is 6 weeks old and hands just started always being cold. is this normal?? we live in the texas so it's not that cold outside. the rest of her body is warm

sped

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:05 pm
I had this with my dd. The ped said that some babies are like that and it meas nothing.A concern would be if she had blue around her mouth.

abaker

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:12 pm
Our midwife said it's normal that hands and feet get cold. We use to put socks on ds hands. (It was very cold here) once the baby is more mobile that helps the circulation get to hands and feet better iirc

wifenmother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:13 pm
I know that you're in Texas, and it's warm outside. However I have found that even my summer babies (in NY) had to be dressed warmer than the rest of us for them to be warm. Even when my older kids wore shorts, my newborn needed long cottons, sometimes + a thin blanket. Newborns just tend to need more...

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:19 pm
Absolutely normal. Extremities are always colder than trunk. When you want to know if your baby is too hot or cold, do not judge by hands or feet; feel the back of baby's neck for a more accurate read.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:25 pm
Do you mean they look cold? Like purply color? I had that with one of my infants and he outgrew it. You can ask your doctor about it.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:38 pm
Most of our family members have cold hands (and we don't feel cold..) my grandmother a"h used to repeat the well known phrase, "Cold hands, warm heart."

jayle

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:48 pm
Check that he is putting on weight as he should be, with two of my children they started loosing weight when they got to around 3 months, it turned out that I didn't have enough milk anymore,
The Dr felt their cold hands and said it can be a sign of hunger.
Sorry really not trying to alarm you, just thought its worth checking out.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:54 pm
All my kids were like that, and I am too Smile

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:56 pm
please swaddle your newborn in a blanket ... I'm sure the hands wont feel cold when they are covered.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:12 pm
Be careful not to overheat the baby. They have a hard time regulating body temperature, and overheating is far more concerning than cold hands are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics