Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO Large double sink
1  2  Next

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 6:32 am
I'll be I"YH moving to a new apartment soon and the kitchen will be completely renovated. I would love for them to put in a large double sink that is very deep (12 inches at least on one side) to be able to easily clean large pots and pans. Does anyone have any recommendations?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:04 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
I'll be I"YH moving to a new apartment soon and the kitchen will be completely renovated. I would love for them to put in a large double sink that is very deep (12 inches at least on one side) to be able to easily clean large pots and pans. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have been researching this in depth for my soon to be built new home. If you need an undermount sink (which is used with a granite or stone type counter), you will not find more than 10" deep, and that's only 1 brand; most are not more than a little over 9" deep. I don't know if an overmount (for a laminiate counter) goes deeper, but I doubt it goes to 12". I'd suggest you take a look at the following brands (you can search for their websites): Blanco (this is where I found a true 10" deep undermount); Franke, Julien and Elkay.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:24 am
Here's one (they have different widths based on your cabinet size):

http://www.elkay.com/sinks/dlr332212

http://www.amazon.com/Elkay-DL.....32212

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Here's one (they have different widths based on your cabinet size):

http://www.elkay.com/sinks/dlr332212

http://www.amazon.com/Elkay-DL.....32212

Yes, that will work if you can use an overmount style.

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:38 am
Thanks Saw50st8. I doubt the building management will approve such an expensive sink.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:38 am
I have the Blanco. It is 10" deep and it's plenty.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:40 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
Thanks Saw50st8. I doubt the building management will approve such an expensive sink.

Then you need to look around at the different websites to see what is closest to what you want that you can afford.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:41 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:

If you want a sink that deep, it's going to cost a lot more. Maybe split the difference with them?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:42 am
Or, go for a 10":

http://www.faucetdirect.com/kr.....55670

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:43 am
Not a bad idea.

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:45 am
I don't think 10 inches is deep enough for me.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:45 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Or, go for a 10":

http://www.faucetdirect.com/kr.....55670

One of the reasons that is so cheap is that is only 16 gauge ss; the good quality sinks are 18 gauge. And it is not a well known brand. Though for an apartment, neither of those may be so important.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:46 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:

It might be cheaper to install a 10" depth (I think that's what I have) and a high arc faucet.

Also, do you need overmount or undermount? With undermount, you get the depth of the counter in addition to the sink depth.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:48 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:

You haven't answered if you can use an overmount sink or not. You can only get over 10 inches with an overmount. If you need an undermount, there is nothing more than 10" deep and even that is very expensive.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 7:49 am
OOTBubby wrote:
One of the reasons that is so cheap is that is only 16 gauge ss; the good quality sinks are 18 gauge. And it is not a well known brand. Though for an apartment, neither of those may be so important.

She's renting, I don't think quality is so important.

bwaybabe85

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 6:47 am
Sorry for the delayed response. I have no idea if I'd need an over mount or under mount sink.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 8:35 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I have no idea if I'd need an over mount or under mount sink.

You'll need to find that out before you decide on one. It depends on the kind of counter you have. For granite and other stone type counters you need undermount. For laminates, formica, you need overmount. There may be some exceptions.

mommyla

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 9:05 am
OOTBubby wrote:

Actually, OOTBubby, 16 gauge is better quality than 18 gauge. The lower the gauge, the thicker the steel. The lowest quality sinks are 22 gauge.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 9:07 am
mommyla wrote:
Actually, OOTBubby, 16 gauge is better quality than 18 gauge. The lower the gauge, the thicker the steel. The lowest quality sinks are 22 gauge.

I stand corrected.Mommyla is in the business and certainly knows more than I do.

mommyla

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 9:34 am
Thanks, OOTBubby. Sorry, don't want to come across as a know-it-all but I want to make sure OP is getting the right information.

OP, are you replacing the countertops? If not, you have an existing sink cutout to work with, and if you're not replacing the cabinets then you have a size constraint there too (the undersink cabinets). What size are you looking at? What counter material?

12" is extremely deep and there aren't that many choices in stainless with 12" depth. If you undermount, a 10" is more than enough (it's really more like 11" from the counter). If you're tall, you don't want to go too deep or you'll have to bend over to reach the bottom. Same deal if you have short arms.

10" is usually plenty and a lot easier to find. What's your budget?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics