Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I use the same microwave for meat and milk?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 10:36 pm
Do I need to double wrap the food? Do I need seperate glass plates Or just put the food on a hard surface?

Scrabble123

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 10:39 pm
You need to ask your own shaila.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 10:50 pm
Like a prominent posek in our town says around pesach- microwaves are cheap, if you can't live without one buy a second one.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:00 pm
it really depends on your minhag ... there are those whom this would never occur & those that say it's alright under certain criteria - aylor

rachel6543

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:05 pm
I would ask your rabbi. Some authorities say no. Others say that you can if you thoroughly clean the oven and insert a new bottom for meat or dairy.

I personally just have 2 microwaves, much easier.

But if you double wrap stuff, you could use for both milk and meat. I on a rare occation use the (very!) non kosher microwave at work and just double wrap well.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:08 pm
I always knew double wrapping even in treif microwaves was not a problem.

imasinger

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:38 pm
AYLOR. Ours said we could use ours for both, but always put a paper plate underneath the stuff with food, and always cover the food on top (venting a bit as needed.) And we ask a shaila and kasher it out if we think there might be a problem.

mille

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:51 pm
Yeah, you want to ask... I mean, I'll tell you my experience. My experience is that I don't know a single person who only uses their microwave for either meat OR dairy and not both. Everyone I know uses it for both, obviously not at the same time, as long as it's clean inside.

But if your community holds differently, my experience doesn't really help!

Scrabble123

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:54 pm
Right my experience when I asked this shaila was that I may use it for meat, milk, pareve, fish, etc. if everything is always covered (not doubled wrapped) and that the microwave is always clean. I know people who have been told otherwise though, which is why I suggest you AYLOR.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:50 am
Two micros means you have enough space. You can't just pile them on, security wise, not to mention some already pile them on... the oven!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:55 am
We can't use treif microwaves. We have to bring our own when we travel. We also need two microwaves. At work I have one for CY and I can't let anyone use it for CS. AYLOR

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:56 am
WOW, bring your own and even wrapping isn't good for CS? This is more stringent than even my chassidic friends

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:53 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Right my experience when I asked this shaila was that I may use it for meat, milk, pareve, fish, etc. if everything is always covered (not doubled wrapped) and that the microwave is always clean. I know people who have been told otherwise though, which is why I suggest you AYLOR.

I have a question. How do you keep the dish continously covered? My experience has been that the force of the micro-waves pops the lids off.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:20 am
mille wrote:
Yeah, you want to ask... I mean, I'll tell you my experience. My experience is that I don't know a single person who only uses their microwave for either meat OR dairy and not both. Everyone I know uses it for both, obviously not at the same time, as long as it's clean inside.

My in laws only use theirs for dairy. We hve one microwave, which I don't really use wry often, but when I do I put everything into a gallon ziplock and leave it unzipped.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:43 am
mille wrote:

I didn't want to deal with the hassle and uncertainty associated with constantly kashering a single microwave oven, so when I renovated my kitchen, I had 2 overhead microwave ovens installed. The dairy one also doubles as a convection oven.

esther09

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 2:36 pm
People do different things. I know people who ONLY use for one or the other (meat or dairy) and those that will kasher (I.e., boil water in a glass for a certain amount of time - I don't know the specifics) between meat and dairy. I know those who cover everything that goes in and use for meat and dairy, and those that don't cover but still use it for meat and dairy. That's as helpful as I can be, I think.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 2:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have a question. How do you keep the dish continously covered? My experience has been that the force of the micro-waves pops the lids off.

you might want to use loose baggies for that - anything without air is going to pop

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 2:51 pm
mille wrote:

now you do ... mine is exclusively for milky Wave

mille

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:34 pm
Okay, what I meant when I said "no one I know" is people that I know IRL. Sorry ladies, I don't know you. No clue who you are. There are plenty of women here who are significantly more "right wing" than my community... Doesn't mean I know them! But I wrote what I do to show that there's obviously a variety of opinions on this matter

We don't kasher our microwave between meat and dairy, so there's no having to 'deal with' kashering it. If it's clean, it's ok for either. So we keep it clean. (I also only have one oven, and use it for meat and dairy, without kashering in between, and not waiting 24 hrs in between...which is also fairly typical in my community)

And besides, to kasher a microwave, you clean the inside and then heat up water inside til it boils. So says my rabbi.

The differing opinions in this thread are exactly why I said to ask your rabbi... What does it matter what I do with my microwave, if your rabbi says you need separate ones?

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:49 pm
not everyone has space for two microwaves. We have a nice sized kitchen and still, I have to put mine in two very high up cupboards. I need to stand on a chair to put stuff in and out. A guest was impressed at my health savviness - she thought I was trying to avoid the evil microwave-waves by placing them so high.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics