Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gluten-free foods in EY?

4Sisters

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:39 am
Traveling in February with a child with celiac disease. How hard is it to find gluten-free good in Israel? We will be spending most of our time in Yerushalayim, but also going to Tiverya and perhaps to the Dead Sea.

Should I bring a lot of breads/snacks with us? (I'll bring some, of course!)

Do restaurants usually have GF on the menu? She's loves fleishigs, so that helps (of course, older sister is a vegetarian, so we can't go for fleish every night).

We're debating between staying in a hotel or renting an apt. Any thoughts? Do the Israeli breakfasts have GF options? She won't eat salad for breakfast, but would eat yogurt. Eggs. Not sure what else would be on the standard hotel breakfast that she might eat.

Thank you!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:56 am
It's getting a lot easier here, for sure. There's a bakery on Agrippas (by the shuk) that I believe has some gluten-free things, though I don't remember the name. As of a couple of months ago, I believe New Deli (fleishig sandwich chain) had gf rolls available. I'm vegetarian, so I haven't eaten there since the one vegetarian item on the menu is cooked on the same hot grill as everything else.

eli7

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:37 am
The bakery on Agripas is called the Natural Choice. There is also a gluten-free store further down on Agripas near Shuk Kenyon (just be sure to check the labels because they also sell sugar-free items, not all of which are gf). Most of the other health food stores around town will have at least some gf crackers, cookies, and bread (though the bread is often frozen, so you'll need to plan in advance).

There is a new vegetarian restaurant near the shuk called Nagila (on Rehov Borochof). I haven't been there but I think I read that they also have some gf items on the menu, so that could be good for both. The vegetarian restaurant Agas in the shuk might have some gf things too and is very good. My husband brings his own spelt bread there to eat with the hummus and they are ok with that, so that's another option for you. Actually we bring our own bread to restaurants often and no one has minded (to a new place we make sure to bring the package so they can see the hechsher if they want).

Nisia tova!

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:10 am
Freezer department of most supermarkets now carry gluten free food. Good Luck and enjoy your stay

aussie2

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:13 pm
Not sure if this helps but s/o advertises on Ramat Eshkol Nishei that she sells gluten free challah, cookies, desserts etc.. You can contact her at c.rivka@gmail.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions