Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me look VOGUE AND TZNIUS on a budget?!?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:13 pm
I'll be meeting with some VIPs over the next couple weeks. It's not a job interview per se, but it's gatherings with "society" people who would fund me to do a job. So I need classy and elegant. And JC Penny won't do it.

The clothes I currently have are fun, funky, etc. But they're not "vogue." I can't describe their look--it's very chic, upscale, classy, etc. My grandmother, who used to be in the schmata business, says, "You just KNOW when someone spent money on a garment."

My issue? I don't have tons of $$ to spend. And I HAVE NO FASHION SENSE. Sad I NEED TO MAKE A GOOD IMPRESSION. :/

Can anyone help me find a dress or tunic online that's tznius and super classy looking?

-- Amother Schmata in Distress

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:26 pm
What's the event? What's your price range?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:29 pm
One is an evening charity event--I'm not worried about that, since I can rent a gown.
The more important thing is that I have a **series** of about three meetings. These will be during the day, at their offices on Madison Avenue.

It's the "casual" but professional look like I"m struggling with. Everyone there looks like they're wearing Cristian Dior (sp?).

I guess I'd spend $300 **max** on an outfit. It's a lot of money, but so be.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:37 pm
Shift dresses? Or is that too formal?

You might want to try century 21. You can find brand name stuff for well below department store prices.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:06 pm
I'm trying to get a feel for your style.
Is this even remotely similar to something you would wear to such a place?

1) this in white: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....=3600
2) with this http://www.hm.com/us/product/2.....578-D
and 3 or 4:
3) in teal: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....3D439
4) http://www.hm.com/us/product/5.....EARCH

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:07 pm
You can't kid people. They know your social level. That's fine.

You should look organized and modest.

Wear a lot of black, with a white blouse underneath that shows white at the collar and cuffs, black tights, black comfortable low dress shoes. All your clothes should be brand new, especially the white.

Inexpensive clothes look better in black and in white.

It can be separates. In fact sometimes separates are easier. Black skirt. Then a sweater or jacket.

If you have time for a new synthetic wig, that's an idea. Dark hair, straight, not too long. Only to the shoulder or a little beyond.

Just know your stuff and present the project. Don't worry.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:45 pm
http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....omers Also Shopped$55596$1747996&LinkType=PDPZ1_Pos1

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....%3D88

I've tried on in store (not in petite) and since I'm short these just covered the knees.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:27 pm
Ann Taylor is a great option for you and everything is 50% off right now. Their look is very refined, classy, with a bit of trendiness mixed in. Look at their website .

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:38 pm
Pencil skirts and blazers or belted cardigans. Whats your body shape and size? I can try to give you a few outfit ideas.

Roots

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 8:01 am
you can always buy second hand. there are gorgeous, almost new garments for less than half the price in any second hand sale or consignment store. just launder it or take it to the cleaners and its good as new, gorgeous and cheap.

or borrow something for a good friend or sister

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:28 am
Stick to simple basics, clean lines. Dress it up with inexpensive (but good quality) accessories. Or borrow the accessories from someone.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:46 am
I definitely recommend checking out Ann Taylor. Look through their sale racks. Also, see if there is an Ann Taylor outlet near where you live. I have beautiful classy outfits I bought on clearance there 10 yrs ago and still wear. I always get compliments when I wear them.

Also, jewelry can really dress up an outfit. Pearls are elegant and classy. A nice pearl necklace and ear-rings can dress up a very simple outfit. Do you have pearls? Or can borrow from a friend? Also check out thrift or consignment stores, you can get beautiful classly Jewerly inexpensively there.

Also, a scarf around the neck can really look nice and add sofitication to an outfit.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 10:28 am
Thanks so much, everyone, for your helpful tips. I'll keep you posted! Smile

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 10:42 am
I find Zara pretty affordable and they have free shipping and returns for over fifty dollars

nomilessthan

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 10:47 am
Agree with Ann Taylor! Zara is a little bit less tzniusdik in my opinion.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 12:56 pm
http://www.zara.com/us/en/woma......html

Love this top. Would look great with a black shell and black straight skirt.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.zara.com/us/en/woman/tops/top-with-detail-c269186p2367836.html

Love this top. Would look great with a black shell and black straight skirt.

Maybe.

But it would not look like high-end fashion, which is what I think you (if you're the OP) are going for.

In fact, if you're going for a high end look, DO NOT WEAR A SHELL. You can wear a scarf or a blazer if needed.

OP, I'd try stores like Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, where they're having plenty of sales. What you're looking for are "bridge" or "secondary" lines. You can't afford, and don't need, a Marc Jacobs dress. But he has a secondary line, Marc, that you might consider.

Don't forget the shoes and the purse.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:24 pm
Barbara wrote:

In fact, if you're going for a high end look, DO NOT WEAR A SHELL. You can wear a scarf or a blazer if needed.

Thumbs Up

rachel6543

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 3:24 pm
Another idea.., Nordstrom and Macy's often have personal shoppers (no extra charge). I'm sure others stores in your area would have this too. Tell them what you are looking for and your price range. I used them at both stores about 10 yrs ago when I needed to get a few work interview and winter related clothing items. both were able to find good quality items in my (not very high) price range of a very recent college graduate. Both times the store employees were able to put aside items for me and I was able to come at appointed time after work or on the weekend to try them out. 10 yrs later still wearing the clothes I got with their help. They were basic classic high quality pieces perfect for office and shabbat, but still in my price range.

Also, something to think about, but I do find that the items which are better quality and usually cost a little more, do usually last longer. In my single days I did spend a little more on a few good quality classic pieces and 10+ yrs I'm still wearing most of them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics