Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Booster seats

rzab

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:31 pm
Do booster seats expire like regular car seats?
I'm talking about the low back boosters that you use the car seat belts with?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:32 pm
Yes they do. Each seat has a different expiration date which you can find out from the company if it isn't stamped somewhere on the seat.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:38 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Yes they do. Each seat has a different expiration date which you can find out from the company if it isn't stamped somewhere on the seat.

I don't know what a low back booster is, but do backless boosters expire also? I never even thought to look.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:39 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I don't know what a low back booster is, but do backless boosters expire also? I never even thought to look.

Yup

rzab

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:41 pm
eema of 3 wrote:

I meant backless- I'm just very tired Smile

Can I ask why boosters expire- I get a car seat, but a booster isn't doing anything to restrain the child. It's just boosting them up so that the regular seat belt will fit better.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:52 pm
The plastic (or other materials, depending on the seat) ages and can no longer be relied on to sustain the forces of a crash. If the seat broke in a crash the booster would not be doing its job Smile Think of a riding toy or lawn chair left outdoors- the plastic can become brittle and easily break.

rzab

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:58 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
The plastic (or other materials, depending on the seat) ages and can no longer be relied on to sustain the forces of a crash. If the seat broke in a crash the booster would not be doing its job Smile Think of a riding toy or lawn chair left outdoors- the plastic can become brittle and easily break.

I get that for a car seat- but again, a booster is only lifting a kid up to reach the car seat. It's not actually protecting the kid. Even if the plastic is brittle it's not really doing anything to protect the child.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:43 pm
rzab wrote:
I get that for a car seat- but again, a booster is only lifting a kid up to reach the car seat. It's not actually protecting the kid. Even if the plastic is brittle it's not really doing anything to protect the child.

The point of the booster is to position the child so that in the event of an accident the seat belt will 1. Restrain the child and not allow him to be ejected from the seat and 2. Hit the child's body in the places least likely to cause serious injury or death. If the booster breaks it can no longer serve those functions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics