Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
BP tenant keeps two carriages in front hall and

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:06 pm
BP tenant keeps two carriages in the front inside entrance hall, even though theyve been told they should keep one carriage at a time, and puts their stuff (boxes) in basement for storage, even though theyve been told that they can only use one closet specifically for storage in basement, which theyre using.

How would you handle it?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
BP tenant keeps two carriages in the front inside entrance hall, even though theyve been told they should keep one carriage at a time, and puts their stuff (boxes) in basement for storage, even though theyve been told that they can only use one closet specifically for storage in basement, which theyre using.

How would you handle it?

speak with your landlord? (it's illegal to leave anything in hallways in apartment buildings in NYC, btw., anything more than a three family home I believe. this includes strollers. it's rarely enforced, but it is the law.)

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:14 pm
I'm not a landlord so my advice might not be the best for your tenant relationship, but I've had such a neighbor, and boy did she get me angry. I would tell the tenant clearly and calmly that they can only keep one carriage. If th you see more than one carriage, you will assume it's not theirs and you'll put it outside. Then, next time they leave more than one carriage in the hallway, you need to take one outside.

Regarding the boxes - I would do similar. Tell them nicely that you are cleaning up the basement and anything that is not in their closet will get thrown out in x amount of days. Then you need to follow through... And anytime a new box shows up, just throw it out right away.

blueberries

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:17 pm
Tell them gently that If they continue to have more than 1 carriage they will have to find another place to store it.

Regarding storage ask them if they want to pay more for extra storage. Mention to them that the current agreement only allows for one closet.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:19 pm
Ouch. That's harsh. I get the frustration, but a little compassion...

This is coming from a first floor tenant who often can't get into her own door due to it being blocked by the rest of the neighbors' multiple strollers.

Maybe the woman has no koach to drag strollers up steps or boxes into closets. She begs her husband to but he is a lazybones. SB problems will now ensue...

Can you try discussing it first to hear why she keeps doing as she pleases? Can you come up with a solution like an outdoor carriage house?

Amother in case my neighbors are here...

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:24 pm
It depends of the person
If it comes from arrogance chuck the 2nd carriage on street
If it's from desperation , I don't know

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:46 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
It depends of the person
If it comes from arrogance chuck the 2nd carriage on street
If it's from desperation , I don't know

Would most landlords make allowances for desperation and allow a cramped entrance hall?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Would most landlords make allowances for desperation and allow a cramped entrance hall?
No. The landlords who care about their propertes put their foot down. The tenants need to comply. Maybe they need to get a compact stroller so they can fold and bring into their apartment or keep their stroller locked outside. It is up to them to come up with a solution. Not up to the landlord.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Ouch. That's harsh. I get the frustration, but a little compassion...

This is coming from a first floor tenant who often can't get into her own door due to it being blocked by the rest of the neighbors' multiple strollers.

Maybe the woman has no koach to drag strollers up steps or boxes into closets. She begs her husband to but he is a lazybones. SB problems will now ensue...

Can you try discussing it first to hear why she keeps doing as she pleases? Can you come up with a solution like an outdoor carriage house?

Amother in case my neighbors are here...

Not the op but anyone know where we can buy a carriage house? Our hallway is cramped and loaded with carriages. The neighbors are all willing to chip in and buy a carriage house but expect me to actually find it and buy it. No clue where to find such a thing.

scrltfr

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:10 pm
It's a fire hazard. It as all well and good until someone can't get out and c"v dies. Call the fire dept. Landlord will get the point.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:18 pm
Look for a plastic shed from home depot or lowes. You can find online

STovah

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 10:29 pm
scrltfr wrote:
It's a fire hazard. It as all well and good until someone can't get out and c"v dies. Call the fire dept. Landlord will get the point.

This. If the stroller is too heavy for her to schlep up the stairs, suggest any of of the many lightweight strollers on the market.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics