Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Building a house. What would you love to have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 12:38 pm
Use Houzz. It's a website and an app worth thousands of pictures of every part of a project. Look up white cabinets with dark stone counters for hundreds of pictures.
There is also a discussion board to answer anything from building to decorating.
In designing our dira, I used it very regularly.

Sherri

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 12:40 pm
Check out these forums!
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 12:55 pm
I was recently in someone's house and there were two half-baths on the main floor. I was thinking that perhaps this was in case the den were to be used as an extra guest room.

Then the hostess started telling some of us about her following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. IOW, she suffers from digestive issues. So having two bathrooms on the main floor is maybe no luxury for her - but a very smart thing to plan.

So, it's all about thinking into your own lifestyle.

Re: playroom, I tried putting all my toys in the basement, hoping the kids would all go play there. Very limited - the younger ones are not going without their mother. So my preference would be for a small area near the dining room for little ones, and a larger area further away, or downstairs, for older children to play and make noise.

m+m

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:02 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I am also building a home from scratch. I was going to put in the hot-water spigot until I found out how much it cost (over $500) and I dropped it as we are not daily coffee/tea drinkers. If we were, I would've kept it.

Why does a mudroom have to have a raw brick floor? Mine will be ceramic tile.

If this is what you are referring to, it's not that expensive. We did this and it was mechaya for baby bottles, a quick tea, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/InS.....90818

m+m

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Lots of great suggestions.
Just gonna add 2 more.
We live in a new construction house, but we didn't build it.
I really really wish my kitchen had a door on it! When people come in to just be able to close my door and not worry if the kitchen was a mess .
Playroom attached to kitchen is a must .for some reason kids only want to play where mommy is .

Other thing I would love is a second staircase in the back of the house. If we have guest in the front and I'm still not ready, I can run upstairs from the back where the kitchen is and finish getting dressed.

Good luck

I've seen this a lot, I actually think it might be a code requirement on some larger size homes.

passaicmom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:13 pm
A bathroom near the door where the kids come in from the backyard, to stop the dirt from coming into the house.
A butlers pantry with a dishwasher, fridge and cabinets for Shabbos dishes and serving pieces.
A coat room
Bedrooms designed for two beds.
Walk in pantry off the kitchen

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:13 pm
I also think that it would be great to have themed guest rooms like The Madonna Inn. Each person can decorate it according to their budget, but believe me it would be a hit!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:24 pm
If I ever could buy a house.. I'd get a window seat so I can curl up with a book and a hot cup of tea! (you know, the kids are actually taking care of themselves Smile)

Elbowmac

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 2:01 pm
A slide that goes from the second floor to the first floor, and also fire pole between the second and first floors

I'd also love:
-a laundry room on the main level (bonus if the washing machine and dryer don't require quarters to work LOL)
-a guestroom with private bathroom
-kitchen with:
1. lots of cabinet and pantry space
2. lots of counter space (including a center island)
3. 2 sinks
4. 2 ovens
5. 2 dishwashers
6. a microwave built into the cabinetry
7. a large side by side freezer/fridge
8. a separate, free standing freezer
-an entire peseach kitchen, somewhere else in the house

zigi

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 2:29 pm
a sink in the dining room for washing.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:04 pm
Esti's Mom wrote:
If this is what you are referring to, it's not that expensive. We did this and it was mechaya for baby bottles, a quick tea, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/InS.....90818

First of all, I don't believe that link shows all of the needed parts. That is just the above counter part -- there is also a pump bowl and filter and other stuff under the sink, and all of that increases the price. Additionally, I chose a higher end faucet and it won't look right if this doesn't match it. Plus the one I looked it was both hot and cold filtered water.

Since we don't drink coffee or tea nor do we have babies (all grown up), I don't know if it is worthy the cost for the occasional use. If it could be used on Shabbos (which it cannot), I'd probably do it, but since I still need the urn for Shabbos, I am inclined to skip it.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:04 pm
zigi wrote:
a sink in the dining room for washing.

I had that in my previous home and wasn't so wild about it. I am still deciding whether or not to do it now.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:06 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Use Houzz. It's a website and an app worth thousands of pictures of every part of a project. Look up white cabinets with dark stone counters for hundreds of pictures.
There is also a discussion board to answer anything from building to decorating.
In designing our dira, I used it very regularly.

I am finding Houzz.com to be very, very helpful. I use it daily.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:14 pm
My regrets:

Keep in mind practicality and living in the house before décor.
We have an entrance way that goes up to top floor and can see down from top floor. IT looks real nice and is convenient to talk to people down stairs etc. but all the noise goes up...think Shabbos afternoon when kids/grandkids around and all you need is a nap.

I did a bathroom for my 2 girl rooms to share and got annoying once one got married. Rather bathroom in hallway and another room with bathroom.

I enjoy all my coat closets. I put in a double one by side door (which has combination and e/o in our family uses) and one by front door for guests. Also kids have hooks inside it...no excuse for coats on chairs/floor.

I love my Island in kitchen. Can sit and peel all vegies etc.

I wish I would've made a bigger den/playroom off kitchen because kids end up playing in entrance hall a lot if 2 age groups around (grandkids).

I have built in closets in each bedroom and I like that as opposed to dressers. Just have night tables in rooms.

We use our guest suite on entrance floor all the time. Often we have company who we don't want walking around our upstairs (opposite gender/strangers basically) Also have comfortable chairs and table in guest room so they have place for phone calls etc.

I don't have pesach kitchen, don't regret it but I regret not having a big pesach closet where can keep all things layed out nicely so don't have to start clearing cabinets out.
I love my walk in closet in kitchen.

separate heating/ac units for diff sides of house. There are weeks where we only use one side of house (if kids don't come).

I wish I would've made laundry room a bit bigger to include hanging space and ironing board. I wish I would've had a better laundry system when kids were young.

Master bedroom suite. I love that made a den/study attached to my bedroom. I have my own quarters when guest around with my own computer, desk, couch...but I like that my bedroom is bedroom and then that is a place to go sit and relax read. I do like a love seat in bedroom part.

Closets!! Having space makes it easier to keep a well organized house.

Shabbos settings are great. It's a flick of switch before Shabbos as opposed to setting e/t each week.

I like idea of wheelchair accessible first floor suite. were times where we had guests with w/c and was difficult to carry them up and down...

Play room besides for basement. Don't find any kids like playing in basement alone.

Paint- using diff colors makes house feel homey and personality...I don't like the big bland type of house.

Deck off of kitchen is amazing in good weather. The kids play there while we can see from inside and awesome in summer for BBQs and for succos.

Like a previous poster said, even if not finishing basement/attic put in certain basics like plumbing. we didn't and now very expensive so makes us not want to do it.

G'luck! There will always be things you will find better after or things you will regret...just count your blessings and enjoy what you have

mommyla

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:41 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
First of all, I don't believe that link shows all of the needed parts. That is just the above counter part -- there is also a pump bowl and filter and other stuff under the sink, and all of that increases the price. Additionally, I chose a higher end faucet and it won't look right if this doesn't match it. Plus the one I looked it was both hot and cold filtered water.

Since we don't drink coffee or tea nor do we have babies (all grown up), I don't know if it is worthy the cost for the occasional use. If it could be used on Shabbos (which it cannot), I'd probably do it, but since I still need the urn for Shabbos, I am inclined to skip it.

That one happens to be a full system, with the under-sink components included. I bought it but it was very cheap and flimsy feeling so I returned it and bought a better one, but still not that expensive. Some faucets have matching dispensers, but those tend to be pricey so if you're not using it regularly it's probably not worth it.

I have a garbage disposal in one sink and it's fantastic - I'd definitely recommend adding that. I can peel all my veggies in the sink and get rid of the peels, toss old fruit down it, throw out leftover sauce from chicken or whatever and it doesn't smell up the garbage.

And I agree - OP, definitely check out Houzz. Warning: you'll spend waaaay too many hours on it! There was this awesome thread just like this one, but very long and with suggestions from builders and designers. I'm trying to find it, if I do I will post it here.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:43 pm
mommyla wrote:

I have a garbage disposal in one sink and it's fantastic - I'd definitely recommend adding that. I can peel all my veggies in the sink and get rid of the peels, toss old fruit down it, throw out leftover sauce from chicken or whatever and it doesn't smell up the garbage.

I have garbage disposals in both the milchig & fleishig sinks -- and I buy the highest capacity ones. From my experience, if you want them to handle lots of raw vegetable peels and skins, you need the higher horsepower.

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
If I ever could buy a house.. I'd get a window seat so I can curl up with a book and a hot cup of tea! (you know, the kids are actually taking care of themselves Smile)

They are with the maid!

mommyla

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:56 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have garbage disposals in both the milchig & fleishig sinks -- and I buy the highest capacity ones. From my experience, if you want them to handle lots of raw vegetable peels and skins, you need the higher horsepower.

Yes! Don't skimp on the horsepower, it's worth the extra money. 3/4 - 1 hp at the very minimum.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:56 pm
mommyla wrote:
Yes! Don't skimp on the horsepower, it's worth the extra money. 3/4 - 1 hp at the very minimum.

I've gone with 1 HP and haven't regretted it.

mommyla

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 4:05 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I've gone with 1 HP and haven't regretted it.

Mine is 1 hp too. So far so good.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics