Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
School/programs for boy w/significant behavioral/psych issue

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:16 am
I was just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a child like this, that are located in the states? There are no appropriate programs where we live, so we've ended up with him in public school. He does pretty okay there, but is obviously very unhappy with this arrangement. He has no learning challenges, but does better with less intense learning than what he experienced when he was in Yeshiva. I truly hope for a better arrangement in the future, since being cut off like this (despite learning with a tutor, etc.) is also very destructive for him. I welcome any other helpful advice, as well. TIA

Bruria

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 4:51 am
Would homeschooling be an option for you? Because maybe a more relaxed environment could help whatever issues he has, plus you could tailor the schedule to his and your interests.
I don't know what issues he has, but some issues can be helped with exercise, like karate, because they help with discipline and control of their own movements, etc.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 5:40 am
I would be open to it, if that was a good fit, which it is not, for him. The more he's @ home, usually, the more likely he is to get to a manic state. He is likely bipolar, but can keep it together at school, if the school has the right environment....which the PS can manage, but none of the yeshivot here seem to be able to do. He's mainstreamed. We already do a lot of homeschooling for limudei Kodesh, but this is not sufficient for him, and certainly not enough in the long run. I hope to in the future have him better stabilized and able to attend a Yeshiva again, but it has to be one that can work with him. I would also love to know about any camps that could be a fit.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 10:43 am
What age is he?

Are you chareidi, modern orthodox?

There is a boys high school program in Monsey called Shaarei Arazim.

There's only some program of Rabbi Lapa in Lakewood I think, which is possibly grades 7-9 - I'm guessing and also assuming these things still exsit.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 11:52 am
Thanks for that info! I will certainly look into it. He's currently in 3rd grade, but I'm going to have to plan WELL in advance to arrange something for the future, and in order to figure out how to keep him caught up enough. Hashkafah-wise, I think we're somewhere in between (even though it often feels like we're the only ones there), so we're usually open to either approach

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 1:49 pm
I don't know if it would meet your needs but there is place in far rockaway NY that is supposed to be excellent for kids with behavioral problems. I believe it is called diamond something. I know someone who sent a child there and it was amazing, I think he is now mainstreamed.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 6:26 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't know if it would meet your needs but there is place in far rockaway NY that is supposed to be excellent for kids with behavioral problems. I believe it is called diamond something. I know someone who sent a child there and it was amazing, I think he is now mainstreamed.

the Diamond Program which seeker is referring to is a summer day camp very focused on behavior modification, it really is a phenomenal program

there is a boys elementarys chool in flatbush, Ha'or Beacon School, which is a school for boys with social/emotional/and behavioral disabilities,

many of the kids don't have learning disabilities, but they're very into behavior modification and teaching kids necessary skills for life

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:27 pm
Thanks for all this other information too! I definitely need to look into all of this. Wishing I was in NJ or NY again

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:22 pm
So I was pretty sure the diamond program or the people who run it also have something during the school year, but I could be mistaken. At the very least in their line of business they might know which schools are good for these kids.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 7:15 am
I believe there was an attempt to open up a preschool program by the people who run the diamond program,
but it didn't end up happening,

ha'or beacon school would be the school that goes most hand in hand with the principles and metods of the diamond program
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)