Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Have you worried about being judged for a visible injury?
Previous  1  2

chatouli

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:33 pm
One of my kids fell at school and another kid landed on top of him, elbow first Sad so he had a nice black eye for a week. I was truly grateful it happened at school and not on my watch because we got a hundred questions about it around town and at shul. Some of the questions were clearly joking and others, well, it was slightly less clear.

I was also grateful his school handled it properly. They called me to explain and gave him ice right away. Unlike his awful nursery school. Last year he came home with a black and blue across his nose and I had to play detective to find out that Shmuli told him to lie down and then stepped on his nose on purpose. No call home or anything. shock

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 11:52 pm
My kids have had their share of injuries. When they have obvious ones, we deal with curious questions from acquaintances, but nobody ever accused us of abuse.

When dd recently had casts on both legs, not due to any injuries, the whole world asked how she broke both legs. Strangers stopped me in the street all the time. When she was a newborn baby, I told them it was from a skiing accident. Now that she is 8, and old enough to go skiing (I think) I have to tell them the whole story about her clubfeet instead.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
When D's was five, he broke four bones in two.mionths, two of them at the same time (Once he broke his leg, he kept falling because he refused to compensate for it.) . We went straight to the orthopedist for two of them and the er for only one. Then we got a pediatric bone density scan and he was low. I carried it with me for awhile in case I found myself in the er again.

My friend whose D's breaks bones regularly says she rotates Er's when she has to go, so none of them see her too often.this works because we have several hospitals around.

To your friend who rotates ERs...I am a mandated reporter, and this is one of the signs of abuse that we are told to look out for. Be careful.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 7:40 am
I want to echo what last imamother said. Rotating ERs is a good way to get investigated. X- rays can reveal previously broken bones and hospitals are careful to report potential warning signs. Kids are kids and have accidents ( mine have fallen multiple times while skating for example), but we go to the sane dr and/or same ER so there's a consistent logical record.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:04 am
This really frightens me from America. You do have to stay very guarded, from the posts above Sad
'round here, denouncing/tattling still has a very collaborationist, Nazi connotation... but it's also slowly wearing off Surprised

sky

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:09 am
Chayalle wrote:
In an emergency room, they would ask the child how that happened, and he would explain how he bumped into a piece of furniture.

My DD recently fractured her humerus just at the shoulder, while attempting to do a backwards jump during ice-skating (daredevil, just zooming around the rink is not enough!) They asked lots of questions at the ER, and she explained how she saw other people do it and thought she could too, and how she fell and landed on her upper arm.

Well, she was told she cannot skate for another 2 months, and that was that.

You are lucky, my friend's daughter was dancing around the living room, tripped on a book and broke a bone.
Kimball called the police without asking questions. Officers showed up at the house to take the kids when both parents were in transport with injured child to CHOP (a neighbor was home with them). They were able to make other arrangements but it was a nightmare. They didn't even want to let the injured child home with them.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:26 am
I see now why some American posters don't want to go to the ER. I used to find it crazy.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:39 am
sky wrote:
You are lucky, my friend's daughter was dancing around the living room, tripped on a book and broke a bone.
Kimball called the police without asking questions. Officers showed up at the house to take the kids when both parents were in transport with injured child to CHOP (a neighbor was home with them). They were able to make other arrangements but it was a nightmare. They didn't even want to let the injured child home with them.

I would never take my child to Kimball. I had a terrible experience there years ago when I was fostering - my foster son fell off a chair at his preschool, and they took him to Kimball. He had broken his arm in two places. I met them there and waited with him for HOURS while he was in AGONY with no pain killers, just waiting for him to be seen. I'm almost in tears just remembering this.

I called Dr Shanik and he wanted to arrange for me to just take him to an orthopedist who would've seen us within half an hour, but they told me if I would try to leave with him they would have me ARRESTED for neglect, because I had no rights over the child as he was not mine biologically. They threatened me and scared the daylights out of me. You would think I was who knows what, when I just wanted a child in pain to be seen within a reasonable amount of time.

We sat there for HOURS, until finally someone from Bikur Cholim (Yurkansky) came and got things moving, and they finally allowed him some motrin and the orthopedist showed up.

Well, when he was finally seen his arm was improperly set, and we had a nightmare getting another orthopedist who was willing to fix someone else's mess and set it properly. We finally got someone really good in Staten Island University Hospital (Dr Minkowitz - she was awesome.)

With my DD, I called Dr Shanik and he arranged for Dr. Stankowitz to meet us at Monmouth Medical Center. He's been great.

Posting all of this so anyone in this situation in Lakewood knows - call your pediatrician first, you want to make sure your child is seen by someone good, and in record time.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:49 am
You are correct about Kimball.

this was someone who should have known better.

It was at night. (You can always call Dr Shanick regardless) and she wasn't sure it was really broken so she figured she would get an x-ray and if it was go to CHOP. It was a huge mistake.

(I know someone who had their child's wrong arm set in a cast at Kimball)

I once had a child with a broken bone and Dr Shanick was fantastic. We had to travel to CHOP (He sent me with packaged food and asked if I had cash or a phone for the trip) but when I got there had everything prepared and we were seen immediately and had his nurses call us repeatedly to check up on us or let us know what was happening. Talking to him first was invaluable.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
To your friend who rotates ERs...I am a mandated reporter, and this is one of the signs of abuse that we are told to look out for. Be careful.

even I'm suspicious - why act guilty if you're not

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
When D's was five, he broke four bones in two.mionths, two of them at the same time (Once he broke his leg, he kept falling because he refused to compensate for it.) . We went straight to the orthopedist for two of them and the er for only one. Then we got a pediatric bone density scan and he was low. I carried it with me for awhile in case I found myself in the er again.

My friend whose D's breaks bones regularly says she rotates Er's when she has to go, so none of them see her too often.this works because we have several hospitals around.

If a child is breaking bones often, it is advisable to check his vitamin D levels.

So says my sis (she's a pediatrician).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 10:31 am
amother wrote:

Not a joke... but the ERs by me, they don't even know if you went THERE before or not LOL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 10:38 am
I am a nurse. just btw. My one kid got hurt three times in four weeks. Once fell and dislocated finger when we were walking home from Shul..with witnesses lol. Once fell and elbow went out, and that was when she was all by herself in the living room. Poor kid. I took her to the ER. All on Yom Tov. After the one time, I was so embarassed and realized how bad it looked, so I switched ERs. I couldn't bare the thought of being looked at suspiciously. BH it stopped after the third episode. And I would probably be one of the first to be suspicious if a mom did that, the irony!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 11:22 am
I had to take one of my kids to the ER twice in five days. Both time, my dd had fallen and required stitches in different spot (both on her face, poor thing!). I was bracing myself for being questioned at the second visit, but they just patched her up, kindly removed the first set of stitches and sent us on our way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics