Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Help with midwinter vacation plans

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 11:58 am
My 9th grade daughter is going through a hard time. On top of that, she's very disappointed with her lack of plans for her upcoming midwinter vacation. We live in the ny area, and apparently nowadays , most girls go away on a trip during vacation time. After much thought, I do feel that it would be good for her, if I could take her somewhere for a couple of days. It would be good for us to have time together. I would let her know , that she shouldn't expect this every year. I don't want to do anything fancy. I do have miles and might be able to fly somewhere. Any ideas where to take her to, either driving distance, or flying. Perhaps, going away for 2 days and 1 night? Thank you so much for your help.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:02 pm
try finding cheap flights to florida ... also 2 days & 1 night is quite short ...

can you possibly invite a friend - now that would be a girl's dream

but mom & daughter bonding time is also special

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
My 9th grade daughter is going through a hard time. On top of that, she's very disappointed with her lack of plans for her upcoming midwinter vacation. We live in the ny area, and apparently nowadays , most girls go away on a trip during vacation time. After much thought, I do feel that it would be good for her, if I could take her somewhere for a couple of days. It would be good for us to have time together. I would let her know , that she shouldn't expect this every year. I don't want to do anything fancy. I do have miles and might be able to fly somewhere. Any ideas where to take her to, either driving distance, or flying. Perhaps, going away for 2 days and 1 night? Thank you so much for your help.

What does she like?

You could go to the grand canyon, but be prepared to be SUPER exhausted as 2 days is really not enough and it's 5 hours travel time each way.

You could go to Rhode Island, Washington DC, Canada, Florida, etc.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:26 pm
I assume you are in NY?

What does she like to do?

DC Is really nice. There's a lot of fun history and museums.

Philly is great too.

You could do a NYC staycation (broadway show, museums, restaurants) and even stay in a hotel if you can afford it.

You can do a skiing trip in Vermont.

Hershey PA has a really nice spa.

morah

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:32 pm
What would she be interested in? Spa- lots of local places in the tristate area that are nice. Skiing? Upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire. Beach? There is Florida, or course, but if you want to avoid the scene, Myrtle Beach is very nice. Also, there are really cheap 3 day cruises that leave right out of NY, that could be a lot of fun too.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:49 pm
I'm the amother that posted. Thanx so much for the ideas so far. Keep them coming. Any day trip ideas in the ny/nj area that would be fun for her? Unfortunately she's not into museums.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:49 pm
Does she like to hike? Would you hike in this weather? I do it all the time!

chaya35

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:52 pm
snowtubbing
Palisades Mall - rope course, ice skating, Imax

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:57 pm
I'm not the OP, but I also find midwinter vacation plans to be challenging. I can take off from work, but need an itinerary.

Any amothers on here from Philadelphia? I'd love some Phili ideas, so doable from Lakewood. Any good sites to visit (besides for the Franklin Institute, as we've been there so many times)? Any good places to eat out, while we are there?

TIA.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:03 pm
Chayalle, how old are your kids? Please Touch Museum? Constitution Center? Duck boats, Camden Aquarium.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:06 pm
OP, that's not enough time to fly anywhere. What if you got a hotel room in Manhatten, saw a show, ate someplace fancy, went ice skating or did something else touristy and fun?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 2:01 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Chayalle, how old are your kids? Please Touch Museum? Constitution Center? Duck boats, Camden Aquarium.

Teenager - 16 - too old for Please Touch (I'm thinking of that for my younger girls, who have a separate mid-winter vacation and haven't been there since it moved.....).

Camden Aquarium - been there too many times for her to be interested.

What do you do at the Consitution Center? Do they have Duck boats in the winter?

Might check these out, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children