Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
ATTEN. ALL SILVER MENORAH OWNERS

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:40 pm
after you polish your menorah wrap it well in saran wrap and it will stay clean till next year!

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 12:59 pm
2gether wrote:
after you polish your menorah wrap it well in saran wrap and it will stay clean till next year!

That is way too ugly!

Rather it is better to keep your cabinet sealed, use shiny pennies and activated charcoal.

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
That is way too ugly!

Rather it is better to keep your cabinet sealed, use shiny pennies and activated charcoal.

I don't have a cabinet in view..

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:04 pm
2gether wrote:
So where do you keep your silver?

luppamom

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:11 pm
2gether wrote:

I did what you mentioned. I polished the menorah and wrapped it up and put it away. When I took it out, it was great. It did need a little touch-up (just went over it w/ a cloth), but I didn't need to polish it again. But, I recommend using high quality polish for this. (The first yr. I used s/t cheaper and didn't get good results.)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:53 pm
Squishy wrote:

no breakfront here so silver is kept in boxes on a shelf

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 1:54 pm
Squishy, what do you mean by using charcoal and pennies? (I know about the sealed cabinet).

oliveoil

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 4:35 pm
Squishy wrote:

We don't keep our silver on display either. I think it's tacky.

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:07 pm
quote="oliveoil"]We don't keep our silver on display either. I think it's tacky.[/quote]

We definitely disagree. I think silver is beautiful displayed. Silver isn't just for function. Some pieces are gorgeous. I don't know anyone IRL who doesn't have their silver out. I don't display my silverware. That is stored in chests.

I bet if we took a poll you would be in the small minority.I need my silver accessible as I use it weekly. The only logical place is a silver cabinet as most homes don't come with built in closets in the dining room. Every frum house where I live has their silver displayed.

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:09 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Squishy, what do you mean by using charcoal and pennies? (I know about the sealed cabinet).
If you place a shiny penny on each shelf in your silver cabinet, the penny will tarnish instead of your silver. Activated charcoal is sold in pet stores. Put some in unbleached cotton and it will lessen the amount of polishing. I always handle mine with mits. I hardly need to polish.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:15 pm
Thanks, squishy. I can't try the charcoal now, but I'm going hunting for some shiny pennies now!

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:17 pm
how do I know whats bleache and unbleached cotton? I would love to try that

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:21 pm
activated charcoal-where do you buy that? is it in vitamin form? please describe what you have what it looks like, the company and where you buy it? I want to try it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 6:21 pm
This website specializes in large anti-tarnish cloth bags:

http://www.kinleycovers.com/

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 8:42 pm
I have a large silver menorah and we had a custom lucite box made for it (the top comes off to left the menorah out). There is no special seal or anything, but the menorah in the box never tarnishes it. Each year I take it out for Chanukah, do not polish it (it looks perfect), clean it up and a quick polish after Chanukah, back in the box and that's it. It is only display all of the time inside this box.

hotmom

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:55 pm
2gether wrote:

I did this BIG FAT mistake with all my silver when I moved country, I polished and wrapped it all separately ready to pack for moving and unfortunately it ruined ALL my silver..... I had to give all my silver in to be professionally cleaned and remove all the nasty stubborn marks that would not wash off nor polish off. The Lucite box is a gr8 idea.....works well!!
Silver stores do not recommend Saran wrap.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:59 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have a large silver menorah and we had a custom lucite box made for it (the top comes off to left the menorah out). There is no special seal or anything, but the menorah in the box never tarnishes it. Each year I take it out for Chanukah, do not polish it (it looks perfect), clean it up and a quick polish after Chanukah, back in the box and that's it. It is only display all of the time inside this box.

Do you know where to get a lucite box made? My menorah is medium size and fits fine in our china closet but my mom inherited a large silver menorah (antique) and has no where to store it.

2gether

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 8:26 am
hotmom wrote:
I did this BIG FAT mistake with all my silver when I moved country, I polished and wrapped it all separately ready to pack for moving and unfortunately it ruined ALL my silver..... I had to give all my silver in to be professionally cleaned and remove all the nasty stubborn marks that would not wash off nor polish off. The Lucite box is a gr8 idea.....works well!!
Silver stores do not recommend Saran wrap.

sorry it didn't work for you Sad

luppamom wrote:
I did what you mentioned. I polished the menorah and wrapped it up and put it away. When I took it out, it was great. It did need a little touch-up (just went over it w/ a cloth), but I didn't need to polish it again. But, I recommend using high quality polish for this. (The first yr. I used s/t cheaper and didn't get good results.)

me too! I wrapped it up last year and this year it looked like new, like luppamom said after a very little touch-up.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
Do you know where to get a lucite box made? My menorah is medium size and fits fine in our china closet but my mom inherited a large silver menorah (antique) and has no where to store it.

Any large silver store should be able to have one made for you. Mine was custom made (by someone who lived here and sold silver and that time, but no longer is in this city) to fit the menorah and was not very expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics