Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Cleaning kids menorahs

Leahh

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 7:46 pm
Do you clean the menorahs your kids make in school? Like the wooden ones or tiles with nuts and bolts or marker.
If yes, how? I don't want to ruin them by soaking on hot water but I do want to get the wax off.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 2:41 pm
Put in freezer to make wax brittle. Use an old plastic card like a credit card to scrape off the wax. Whatever is left, forget about. You are talking about a kid's school project, "horaat shaah" as it were. It is not intended to become an heirloom for your child to bring into his or her marriage. When it grows too grungy to tolerate or your child grows tired of it (Maaaaa---why are you still keeping that?), deconstruct, salvage whatever materials you may be able to reuse for another project, and get rid of the rest. .

busydev

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:39 pm
my 3yo made one this year (tile with nuts and glass marbley things glued on)
Dh wants to throw it out cause hes just gonna make another next year and when the next one is old enough to light, he will also make his own.
im not so sure I want to throw it out (yet?) more for sentimental type reasons then to use again tho...

Leahh

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:56 pm
Older ones don't make any more and do use the ones from younger grades so I like to put then away but can never clean them.

busydev

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 5:58 pm
well he will make better ones in the future I hope. esp since half the nuts were filled with glue and not very easy to get candles to stay inside. and we already have one tin one we were given which I said to keep in case its needed ever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics